CrazyBoards.org

Okay, back in Winter 2011 I got into prescription painkillers. I had just had a major surgery and was prescribed hydrocodone to deal with pain. I started out okay but I noticed that taking this med not only lessened the pain, it also took away my anxiety which I had struggled with all my life. So long story short I went from hydrocodone 5mg to oxycodone 15mg abuse by early summer 2012. I ended up in trouble in August 2012 and my use of these meds was cut drastically. I did, however, continue to take them when I got my hands on them all the way up to September of 2013. Heck, for most of 2013 I also was abusing my neurontin prescription but something clicked in September of last year and I just let it all go. I quit Neurontin and I have taken an oxycodone once since then.

Fast forward to now and I have just started college and have been put on ritalin and these past few days I have taken one or two more than i am supposed to because it literally wears off after two hours. It does not give me that feeling that painkillers did but I am afraid that I am going to get addicted and I do not want that. This med (ritalin) helps me greatly and makes me feel like a person but it just isn't lasting like I had hoped.

I guess my question is this; In your opinion, should I just stop while I am ahead and not take this medicine even if it is helping me? The last thing I want is another addiction but I also do not want to fail another semester at school (already failed 4).

I think the best thing is to talk with your doctor and be honest about what you are doing.  It's good that you are seeing this pattern now so you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.  Your doc my have suggestions for other meds or another way to take your Ritalin that is more helpful. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Started using my new fitness tracker. Tracks sleep & heartrate also. I'm not sure how accurate it is (500 great reviews said it was). But I'm quite worried with results I'm getting. My resting Heartrate jumps around erratically from 70-100. After sitting at breakfast it's like 90-115. I am healthy weight/slim, eat really well, usually fit (though really inactive last 3-4 mos).
      Literally, when I woke up today (before any meds), I tracked, and it jumped all around from 68-95. I hadn't even got out of bed!! The other day, I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks, then tested....it was 120-130, heart pounding in ears, really tight chest, with slight cough/phlegm congestion in throat....I do some stretching, forward bends then feel very dizzy.
      Is this normal or am I just really out of shape? I have low blood pressure and when I run lately, HR goes up to 180 which is max. Is this dangerous? @mikl_pls ? How long do you have to be doing fitness in order to get it down to fit/normal??
      Oh, too add, I did an ECG a couple years ago, and nothing abnormal was found. Also did a "Fitness test" on a bike with oxygen mask (5 years ago though) doctor just said I was unfit.
    • By Blahblah
      Pdoc FINALLY upped Ritalin (LA) to 30mg in morning, and I take 10mg (IR) in afternoon. Been on consistently about 1.5 years (note, it’s a real pain to get it here, they treat it like street meth & it’s the most benign stimulant!!)
      I have bad energy crashes within 5 hours, then crave chocolate (which I usually dislike), I have more coffee. The IR 10mg in afternoon seems to do nothing. Trying the 20mg IR in afternoon, which might be better, but wears off in 2 hours, I don’t want to mess up my sleep or jack up my heart rate.
      Note, I’m not taking for ADD (but for depression add-on) my physical energy, alertness & motivation just crashes now. I just get tired & need to nap.
      Any ideas? (I’m 50kg) Pdoc says they dose per kg, usually 50mg-60mg max for me. If I increase again, I’ll quickly be screwed (it initially worked so well!). I know Adderall is more potent, but worried about neurotoxicity and irreparable brain damage when I eventually go off (don’t plan on being on forever). I’ve heard Adderall is more “speedy” and can be agitating as well.
    • By Blahblah
      So I've been taking an added afternoon dose of Ritalin (10mg IR) the last few days. I usually take only 20mg (extended) in morning, but was told I could add a bit in afternoon (for boost) if necessary.
      I literally feel more tired/drained after taking it. WTH. I don't regularly take any afternoon dose, so why would it have already pooped out? I feel like coffee gives me more of a boost that this! Grrr. I hate to take double, because my pdoc didn't prescribe it that way. I also don't want to effect my sleep (I have no sleep issues at moment)
      Why is it making me so tired? This afternoon dose is not apparently working at all? Does this mean I actually need more?
    • By mikl_pls
      I am taking stimulants for numerous reasons--primarily for ADHD and idiopathic hypersomnia, but also because I'm obese and trying to lose weight (with diet and exercise of course) and because amphetamines heretofore have been the only thing that really make me a functioning human being.
      I was curious though. From y'all's experience, which stimulant inhibited appetite and/or caused more weight loss, that is, between Ritalin (and all their products), Focalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, or some other stimulant. I have actually even taken Desoxyn, twice, and to be honest, it's nowhere near as potent as Adderall or Dexedrine.
      To my understanding, appetite inhibition can be extricable from weight loss; i.e., one can lose weight from a medicine without experiencing much appetite suppression, one can experience drug-induced anorexia without losing much weight, or both at the same time, or neither.
      IME, so far, this is what I've experienced... I'll list the stimulant/anorectic and max dose taken.
      Appetite suppression/anorexia:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL (450-500 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Desoxyn (15 mg) Vyvanse (70 mg) Adzenys XR-ODT Metadate CD (20 mg) Ritalin (30 mg) Focalin XR (25 mg) Evekeo (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg) Tenuate Dospan (75 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg) Weight loss:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg), Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL Desoxyn (15 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Metadate CD (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg), Evekeo (20 mg), Focalin XR (25 mg), Ritalin (30 mg), Vyvanse (70 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg), Tenuate Dospan (75 mg), Adzenys XR-ODT So I've not tried very high doses of the (dex)methylphenidate meds, and have been curious about trying a higher dose (40-60 mg, maybe higher). Focalin might be okay, but it gave me tremors, anxiety, and panic attacks at 25 mg. Vyvanse did nothing much at all except jack my resting heart rate up to 120+ BPM.
      This list was very hard to compile, and I don't really know if it's too accurate.
      I'm heavily considering trying methylphenidate again, specifically Metadate CD, because I actually felt something on it as opposed to regular Ritalin. I was considering asking my NP for a Metadate CD dose of 30-60 mg, or maybe 30 mg x2 or something like that, with some Ritalin 5-10 mg, maybe 20 mg, to take 1/2-1 up to three times per day prn.
      The tried and true med is Dexedrine for me, specifically the IR, but I want to give that a break for a little while.
      I'm curious to see how (dex)methylphenidate affects my ADHD more than it affects my weight loss/appetite suppression as well.
      I know this post was rather scattered and long, but if you made it through it, any input would be much appreciated!  
    • By Blahblah
      Just to preface, I don't take Ritalin for ADHD...it's more for Depression, motivation, procrastination, mental stamina purposes.
      Has anyone found that you get TOO focused on it? Maybe because I don't actually have ADHD, but I start working on 1 thing and become OBSESSIVELY focused on it (like it brings out the uber perfectionist in me). I forget to eat, I don't take breaks from my desk, and then my brain just shuts off from exhaustion. At the end, I've accomplished only 1-2 tasks.
      I have great difficulty switching tasks or getting all "priority" things done, because I get so stuck on working for HOURS on the same little thing!
      Basically, my processing speed is much slower, I can't adjust to "fast paced" situations, because I mull on things, make revisions over & over & over etc. On the other hand, if i go without taking it, I lay around, procrastinate, lack all motivation, and I'm unable to start anything at all. Not sure how to solve this? Do other stimulants work in the same way?