CrazyBoards.org

What/ who do your voices sound like?

Just out of curiosity:

For those of you who hear voices- what or who do they sound like?

Does it sound like your voice in your head? Your parental figure? A stranger?  Does it sound like someone is talking to you up close or far away or disassociated and etherial like?  Do they try to keep running conversations or just make statements or pose questions?

Again, just out of curiosity

Thanks for obliging my interests. :)

-Mary

During psychosis I've heard people calling my name on the radio, even when it's switched off.  I've also heard close-by voices call my name and ask questions or make statements - the latter typically happens in my father's voice, sometimes another family member.  In all cases the voices felt outside rather than inside my head.

When I hear voices they are usually people I know.  I think they are in another room because I can hear them but not see them.  Sometimes they are loud but not usually.  They mostly mock me.  They don't make commentary on what I am doing like "she is going there" it is more like "you don't take your own advice" type of thing.  Soimetimes it sounds like they are talking to others.

Mine are voices I don't recognize. Usually I just hear things like mumbling that I can't make out, or sometimes they're statements like "Put it back to how it was" or "They're all looking at you." Sometimes I just hear screaming and it gives me a horrid headache. Occasionally they'll ask questions but that doesn't happen often, and a lot of the time I'll hear a family member saying my name and think they're nearby talking about me when in reality they don't even live in the same town as me.

The voices I hear are of people I know, so it is their voice that i hear.  Other times it is random chaos in my head of everything mixed together, and not a particular voice.

The voices put me down a lot, but have sometimes actually given me some good advice of something I hadn't thought of.

I never recognize voices (unless its like hypnogagia where i fall asleep and hear family members voices). Sometimes walking around town I hear people talking and I thought it was real people walking by me, everywhere I went people male and female were talking about me but I didn't see their mouths move. Usually low hissed almost tinny sneers, insulting me and calling me a traitor. Most of the time I heard very muffled voices though, couples, two or three people talking together from under the floorboards. I had a running laugh track and male voice that sounded like someone left a TV on and I heard it everywhere I went. I couldn't make out words, just this male voice talking very low and an audience laughing. I dont hear voices often though, I mostly hear people doing things, frequencies, static, banging sounds and noises, like people opening doors and walking around the house that I try to follow but no one is home. voices are rare.

Edited by cosmeticplague

My past voices would sound like light whispers in my head. It would be multiple, probably up to 6 or 7, people speaking. Mine would hold conversations questions and everything and I could reply or speak back without opening my mouth. Sometimes I was so much in shock from hearing continuous voices that I couldn't reply. Sometimes the conversations were fights and I was too frightened or skeptical to reply.

I ask this because it just dawned on me recently that I've always had a running comentary in my head.  Mostly my voice and mostly negative feedback- for as long as I can remember.  Sometimes instead of me talking to and about myself and surroundings and whatever else I talk to myself about silently, I get songs.  Like loud and obnoxious and distracting enough to keep me awake.

Ive always thought it was 'normal' because I've never been any other way.

But my new pdoc wanted to know if I heard anything that other people don't hear.

And in my head I said 'how are you supposed to know what other people do or don't hear? How stupid...'

And it hit me: perhaps I should get a feel for how 'normal' these constant thoughtsounds are.

Thanks everyone for your feedback

-Mary

i like to classify my voices into two categories: outside voices and inside voices

"outside" voices sound like the kind of voices that everybody hears, except there isn't actually anyone saying anything. for example, i might hear someone calling my name, only there's no one there, or i might here laughter, and there's no one there. it happens frequently enough and in such a great variety of different locations that it's unlikely to be a one time mistake.

"inside" voices are just like the thoughts that everyone have running through their head, except i didn't think them. they cause me the most problems. at first they just narrated what i was doing, but eventually they gave me commands that ranged from "tear down that poster" to "kill yourself". if i refuse to follow their commands, they get quite angry and will tell me that i'm weak, worthless, a coward, and generally berate me on the basis of things that i'm actually quite sensitive about, such as saying that i should kill myself because i'm a disgusting faggot when i've actually considered suicide because of my sexuality. though they can be nice on rare occasions. once i was writing an essay as part of a test and they told me what to say and that did help me to finish the essay and i got a decent mark, when otherwise i would've failed. and sometimes they'll tell me i'm chosen and so on, which isn't actually all that helpful because it feeds my delusions.

nowadays, if i take my meds as prescribed and don't skip a dosage or dope up or drink or use street drugs i tend not to hear voices at all, but they will randomly pop up.

I think it's fairly common to have your own voice in your head and talking to yourself like that. But if it's unrecognizable and not in your control or in like third person, I think that counts as a hallucination to be concerned about.

I hear whispers and commentary. Like if I walk into a room and sit down the voice will go "She's walking into the room right now. She's about to sit down. She sat down in the chair. She's anxious." 

But I also hear yelling and negative things at times... "You're SO stupid!" "Why did you do that?!" "You need to just die now!"

I used to hear voices out loud.... now its more like they are in my brain and really subtle, but I definitely understand what is being said. Its not all the time.... they convey messages to me in pictographic form or in like "meanings"that I understand.... like lt looking at a painting with a message and getting it but more concrete than that....

I get different voices depending on how well I am and how well my meds are working.

Outside voices - they sound loud but have an otherworldly quality about them. If I'm delusional, they come from telepathic communications from the living or dead

Inside voices - these are much more common for me. They can be whispers or they are usually a pair of voices that argue and comment on my activities, usually with a negative tone.

My talking imagination - not sure these count but my imagination can speak to me too. It is different than inner or outer voices and just as bothersome. It's like my daydreams speak to me and I get lost in a reverie while it happens, returning communication, sometimes aloud.

My voices tend to be problematic for me but I'm grateful that they're not worse than they are.

I have three primary voices that I hear on a regular basis and then those transient voices that I hear occasionally or only once. Jacob is the critic and only seems to say negative things to me, he's also an outside voice. Then there is Celeste, who depending upon the situation comes to me as either an outside voice or an inside voice, she's also the parental voice of reason most of the time (my therapist likes Celeste since she usually stops me from doing stupid shit).The third voice is Rebecca and she's an inside voice, she's also a child and the most playful of my three voices.

When my meds are leveled out well I can go for periods of time without Jacob or Rebecca but nothing seems to stop Celeste...

As for other voices, those generally all fall in the outside voice category and can be simply a passing comment to ones that hang around for a period of time before fading into the background...again my meds tend to help with these transitory voices when they are working...

My voices do not sound like anyone i know.... They do sound dissociated and etheral. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but i feel like i can feel their breath on my ear. It sounds like someone right in my ear talking loudly. They only scream or get very loud where i can't concentrate when i ignore them. I also get antsy when i ignore them. They will foretell horrible things to happen. It doesn't help when some of the things they foretell come true. They make comments about people i know. Once a voice said "she's crazy" about a girl i knew. They were right. She had major trust issues. My voices are what makes me paranoid, because the meds control, the anxiety and gives me more insight not to let them control me. 

Sometimes i hear them in my head and they are definitely not my voice. They might be male, but most of the time they are external.

I remember i was in my chemistry class in college. And i was sitting and watching the teacher. And i heard like a whole bunch of people talking at once. The teacher was the only one talking. I can't remember what they were saying because they sound distant. I think i made out some words, but i just don't remember. I do remember feeling like the voices were talking about me.

Happily my meds have more control over my voices than my delusions. I think i have anxiety cuz i no longer hear them as much.... and usually when i didn't hear them for a month. I had a whole new set of voices different from the last. The only time they really interfere with my academics were in 12th grade and 1st year of college. They had always interfered with my social life. They are 10x worse from the beginning of 12th grade.

Edited by CherryBlossom

right now mine are conversations transmitted over great distance and being broadcast through these, likely extra-dimensional, portals all around me and 

IT'S DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS!

i now it's the cabling around my house but i've promised i'm going to stay inside the house, so i will stay inside the house....but FUCK!

• 2 weeks later...