CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Monica Jansen

Can i have seizures of stop quick taking fluoxetine?

I was on 80 mg fluoxetine for 4 days ago, and now are on 40 mg. To morrow i have a plan to take 20 mg, and in a week on 0 mg. But is this seizure triggering, Even if i do not have seizure tendenses, and i do not have epilepsy?

I don't believe it will trigger seizures.

But you are sooo gonna feel like hammered batshit Real Soon Now.  

Dizzy, exhausted, flulike symptoms, and what's called "brain zaps."

It feels like a sort of weird, low grade shock coursing through your body.

That part will probably last for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer.

Then the reason you started taking antidepressants may re-assert itself.

Why are you coming off so rapidly?  I really think you ought to put in a call to the prescribing doctor.

Edited by Stickler

I coming of fluoxetine so quick bechause i have read that specialy fluoxetine destroys the brain.

My mom took it for 20 years, she's an RN, and was sharp as a tack the whole time.  

Now she's on zoloft, and she's STILL sharp as a tack.

There is a LOT of misinformation, lies, and insanity on the internet, some of it even from people with am MD or a Ph.D behind their name.

If brain damage was a common side effect of antidepressants, one in 10 Americans would not be taking them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/20/141544135/look-around-1-in-10-americans-take-antidepressants

I coming of fluoxetine so quick bechause i have read that specialy fluoxetine destroys the brain.

My mom took it for 20 years, she's an RN, and was sharp as a tack the whole time.  

There is a LOT of misinformation, lies, and insanity on the internet, some of it even from people with am MD or a Ph.D behind their name.

If brain damage was a common side effect of antidepressants, one in 10 Americans would not be taking them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/10/20/141544135/look-around-1-in-10-americans-take-antidepressants

Would like more info on this. But it feels like, if you are taking something that gives you a 'positive' response, it's good. A negative response and it's bad. Within your own body. Though this could be wrong.

Intuitively speaking, if you listen to your body, AD's do seem to help. Atleast at the end of the spectrum,

Edited by EasyDoes

Would like more info on this.

Part of the reason SSRI's are so popular is that their side effect profile is very low, historically lower than any other medication. 

You can't 'feel' brain damage.

You can not like the side effects but that is not the same as feeling brain damage. 

The brain can't feel, you are right. But are side effects a way the brain reacts? Is it telling you something is not right? Or is right? 

I don't know the answer to this. But this may be on the right track..?

Edited by EasyDoes

In what way does it destroy the brain?

In what way does it destroy the brain?

It damages the cells.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By rowan77
      So I was manic for 8 weeks. I am now severely depressed and my pdoc took me of fluoxetine  when i was manic, but now she has put me back on fluoxetine 20 mg. I'm worried I will become manic again. I had a very bad manic episode this time and don't want a reccurance. 
      If you became manic on an antidepressant how long did it take for you to become manic. Was it gradual or sudden? I wonder could I recognize symptoms quickly and go off it.
    • By bigalxyz
      Hello forum,
      I've had long term problems with treatment-resistant depression and also - in the last 3 or 4 years - have suffered from vertigo, migraines and stomach cramps.
      I have been taking 40mg fluoxetine daily which doesn't do much at all - makes me slightly less irritable, give me some very strange & vivid dreams, but not much else.
      Doctor has just given me some nortriptyline to take alongside the fluoxetine as a combination therapy. Initial dose 25mg and then increase to 50mg after 10 days.
      I started with the 25mg of nortriptyline 4 days ago and it has hit me quite hard. I felt very drowsy at first although this has eased a little now. Sleeping a lot too - possibly not a bad thing because my sleep quality isn't great. Feel "stoned" but not necessarily in a good way. On the other hand, no vertigo, no migraines, no stomach cramps and my mood is ok (albeit in a daze).
      I read something about fluoxetine interacting with TCAs like nortriptyline - something to do with liver enzymes that I don't understand - the upshot of it all was that one should be careful with TCA dosages because fluoxetine makes the TCA hang around in the system longer, as if it were a bigger dose than it actually is.
      Doctor has talked about gradually getting the nortriptyline dosage up to 75mg - 100mg in due course. But I don't know on reflection how familiar he is with this drug (especially in combination with fluoxetine) - he is following the guidance of a psychiatrist who assessed me, but I don't think the psychiatrist gave any advice on suitable dosages. Also the doctor said it's ok to drink alcohol in moderation when taking nortriptyline , which contradicts what I've read elsewhere (I don't plan to drink btw).
      I'm a bit concerned...should I be, do you think?
      (I would ask the doctor myself but it can take 3 weeks to get an appointment with him!)
      Thanks,
      A.

• By mmaryland
      I am 22 y/o and have filed for SSI twice. The first time I got denied I didn't appeal within 60 days so I had to apply all over again. Now I am going through to extensive appeal process and no lawyer seems to want to help me. They claim since I am young, I almost need to have schizophrenia or an autistic/spectrum disorder to be able to actually be approved and get benefits otherwise it is going to be very hard to get SSI. Now here are some of the facts of my case. I was fired from my job last November due to "no call, no show" because I was in a bipolar depressive episode where I literally didn't leave my room but maybe 5x to make a microwave meal and shower once. This episode lasted a little bit shy of 2 weeks. So for my 3 no call, no shows I was terminated from my job at University. I asked if they would accept a physician's note explaining my circumstances but the manager actually refused documentation, saying "No it's not necessary, I don't need that". She also said that I should have called and at least have told her what was going on so she knew I couldn't come in, but let's be real guys, doing that during a severe bipolar depressive episode is like writing a PhD dissertation in less than a day. So I applied for unemployment and get a denial letter saying I am denied benefits of $50/week because they contacted my former employer and was told I was terminated for misconduct. So that was the end of that.
      I had applied for SSI last year around August I would say and was denied 1st time. Re-applied December and got denial letter again, this time on Feb. 8th stating "your conditions are not severe enough for you not to work. You are capable of substantial gainful activity". Yet on my listed disabilities I listed epilepsy (reoccurring grand-mal seizures), bipolar disorder NOS,  insomnia NOS, ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, manic episodes, social anxiety disorder, delayed sleep phase syndrome, and listed all the medications I was on and how some of them has side effects that were impairing themselves. Has anyone here who is young actually gotten approved for SSI benefits? If so, how many times did it take for you to finally get approved and did you use a lawyer to help you through the process? Also, if you don't mind, what conditions/disabilities did you report to them that you believed qualified you for SSI or SSDI? I can't apply for SSDI because I don't have enough work credits so I can only apply for SSI. This whole process kinda sucks and is difficult especially for people with disabilities. So frustrating. 

• By 1roseburg1
      Hello all,
      I have a brain question and am not sure just where to post it; please bear with me if I'm in the wrong group.
       I have a history of migraine, GAD, and had a true bout of depression several years ago. I'm on a low dose of  Lamictal -75 mg per day as a mood stabilizer and for migraine prevention. My P-doc thinks my depression may have had some bipolar II features so we have stopped using ssri meds. Lamictal has been a good med for me overall; I have descent moods most of the time and the migraines are pretty much the same variety they've always been. My migraines are rarely very painful, but they do give me the sense of being very sluggish in my brain and a sort of "dish rag" like feeling when I get one. There is a pattern to them that I've learned to understand. 
      Something recently happened that has concerned me, however. I had developed the early stages of migraine a couple mornings ago, nothing terrible. Later that evening, after attending a wedding, I was doing some mundane chores and was lost in thoughts about the wedding event. I was using a small scrub brush, but decided I needed a sponge. I looked in my bucket, happily found a familiar yellow and green sponge, and continued scrubbing. I was briefly interrupted for a few seconds, and when I went back to reach in the sink for my sponge there wasn't one. There was only the scrub brush. I searched everywhere and it slowly dawned on me that I had imagined reaching for the sponge...and using it. I immediately started getting a vague, mild migraine headache. I've never had a typical visual aura, I've never had psychosis, and I've not "heard things" that weren't real. This wasn't the sort of migraine aura people describe anyway. It was as if something very typical and mundane was invented inside my brain. I'm sorry to say, but I'm still keeping an eye out for the sponge. That's how real it felt.
      I also had a different sort of experience happen several weeks ago where I was looking for a particular mirror that I keep on a windowsill. It wasn't in its usual place and after stomping all over the house trying to find it, I looked again and it had been there on the windowsill the whole time. I kept trying to figure out how I didn't notice it when it was the exact thing I was trying to find, all by itself on the sill. I had looked but not seen.
      I don't know if these events are related to migraine, or if I may be developing a seizure disorder, or something even more sinister. My husband knew I was worried so he gave me a quick early Alzheimer's screening test he'd had at the clinic. I passed easily with 100% accuracy, for what that's worth.
      'My questions are-- is it plausible to have this sort of thing happen in a normal brain on occasion? Do any of these experiences sound like some sort of seizure? Is it possible that my thinking I was seeing and using the sponge was part of a migraine? Could a person invent that sort of thing if they were really deep in other thoughts? 
      Im seeing my P-doc about this in a few days. I'd really appreciate input however...I'm sort of worried.
      Thankyou, I'll let you know if I find my sponge.

• By enriquegm82
      Hello
      I am currently cross tapering from Paroxetine (Paxil) to Fluoxetine (Prozac) for OCD.  Right now I am taking 20mg Fluoxetine and 30mg Paroxetine.  The idea is to stop Paroxetine and to increase dose of Fluoxetine to 40 or 60mg.
      Could you share with me, in your opinion, what is the optimal dose to treat OCD symptoms?