CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
fallinguphill

Stop throwing diagnoses at me!

I feel like everytime I turn around I am having a new diagnosis put on me.

The first was obvious... Panic Disorder, I didn't argue that at all.

Then major depression. 99% sure that stemmed from the panic, so fine Ill take the meds.

Then OCD. I Still dont fully agree with that one, because I see the obsessive thoughts as just part of the panic, but whatever, my pdoc didnt add any meds to my prozac, since it helps with OCD, so I wasn't going to fight it...

HOWEVER at my appointment today, she brought up bipolar, for the third time, and it is aggrevating me because I am not bipolar!

Yes I have mood swings, and I will admit there have been quite a few times when I am really UP, and a little more impulsive... But Ive never had any kind of psychosis before, and isn't that a big thing when a person is manic?

I am not trying to be hard headed or anything, I just dont feel like I am bipolar, so any advice on how to stop her bringing it up?

You can totally be bipolar without experiencing psychosis.

I was pissed when they brought up bipolar to me. I had NEVER considered it before. That being said, I never really knew too much about it. If I had, I probably would have considered it.

That being said, if you think it's totally off base, you can always get another opinion. It would be annoying to have something thrown at you repeatedly if you don't relate to it at all. I wouldn't put up with that. That being said, doc is a professional, so I'd at least say to ask questions on the matter. 

I agree with getting a second opinion if you feel like your pdoc isn't right about the diagnosis.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, sorry admin.

I have looked up bipolar II (which is hypomania instead of mania, correct?) And I do fit some of the criteria, but I've also been a bundle of energy since I was born.

And yes I can fluctuate from not leaving my bed depressed, to OMG YAY! quickly, but the happy is just who I am when Im not anxious, panicky or depressed.

Impulsive behaviors? Sometimes, but like with the endless energy, Ive alway been like that. I get bored easily and do stupid things bc of it.

I just feel like my pdoc is trying to take what is actually me, what is my actual personality, and turn it into something it isn't.

It seems to me like there are three possible scenarios going on here:

1) Your psychiatrist is right and you have bipolar disorder;

2) You have features of borderline personality disorder or another mental illness that's causing diagnostic confusion;

3) Your impulsive behavior and mood swings are merely components of your personality and isn't pathological in nature.

I agree with everyone else who says that you should seek a second opinion. It's impossible for us to know if you're right about this psychiatrist unfairly pathologizing you or if you lack insight into your illness. Bipolar disorder can be difficult to diagnose when a patient has never been floridly manic and has symptoms that are more subtle and harder to distinguish between normal and abnormal.

Edited by Hadeharia

to date as far as im concerned the best definition of a diagnosis ive read

is" a label describeing a group of symptoms" the other definition ive read is something to the affect its a tool for establishing cause and effect

im not a medical professional of any kind

but it seems to me your idea about endless energy should qaulify you as having insight into your condition it includes an explanation for the cause of your behavior,and a concept of time,or its seemingly being absent? or energy being endless not changing nonetheless tracks the behavior over time observing that thier isnt a change as far as its seeming to be endless i dont know but being very pissed i think could also explain or partialy explain that feeling

personaly i think my abillity to express certain emotions is poor,possibly due to lack of practice due to social isolation,and that could partialy explain my own emotional imbalance which from the point of view of society as a whole is easier to label as disorder or dis-ease than slow down the whole ratrace for even a second,still i feel the vast resources,and the benefit of hinesight and historic perspective the field of psychiatry,IF thier intension is to help me,is superior to anything i can come up w/myself.but in my mind that is a big IF

I am not at my most stable presently but my intension IS to be helpful

stay optimistic

It is upsetting to be told that you could have another illness.  But being correctly diagnosed is what is necessary to receive proper treatment.  

I don't know if you have bipolar disorder or if its just your temperment, but I do know that this is important enough to get it right.  As already suggested, seek out a second opinion.  Its definitely worth the trouble.

Getting a second opinion is a little difficult for me. I go to a state run mental health center, and all of my treatment is paid for. I cant afford to find another pdoc.

The center has other psychiatrists on staff, but as of right now, none of them are accepting new patients. Plus I would feel horrible for switching to a new pdoc in the center. Id feel like I was telling my pdoc she wasn't a good psychiatrist or something... And I dont think that. I do not always agree with what she is saying, but she is a good doctor.

I so feel ya! I was first dx drug induced psychosis.....I smoked meth from thrusday's to sundays every week for about half a year......Went thru a massive psychosis where I was stuck in jail. for two months I was in there getting worse and I detoxed so badly that the meth turned my skin green like a zombie.......Well I get help and they put me on abilify. I started to come back but chose to do the destructive behavior again......So a almost a year passed by but I wasn't doing nearly as much ICE because me and my friend got fired at the clubs where we dealed. AnywaysI started to slip back into the thought broadcasting and such. I gave up the drugs...Long story short I recovered. Saw a pdoc two years later. He said that I have anxiety but doesn't see any psychosis and believes it was all drug induced.....I see another pdoc and as soon as they added Lexapro to the risperdal I started to have obsessive thoughts.....So then they said I have OCD......after fighting to get a benzoI finally did and the OCD went away. The anxiety crippled me to the point all I could do is lay in the bed and shiver because I thought i was going to die at any moment.....See all the dx's I have now......All came from one thing...A drug induced psychosis. sure I was depressed growing up but the only thing that showed up in my early teens was ADHD......But my parents failed to take care of me so I began a destructive pattern up until 21......When I got saved........So man! I'm telling you...It does tick me off that I'm on all these meds which are practically impossible to get off of and it was all because I was thinking about my ex and how I wanted her back to be my gf but was to scared to call her or visit....I just prayed to God that He would bring us together....Oh well. I guess I just have to chalk it up because there isn't another option for me except total detox which is enough stress to throw me into a psychotic episode.

Edited by sonicwhite

yep

you can be bipolar without psychosis

bipolar is on a spectrum

I just feel like my pdoc is trying to take what is actually me, what is my actual personality, and turn it into something it isn't.

I can relate to that, I have felt that way at times.

The DX is just a label.  I think a question to consider is whether or not a mood stabilizer would help the quality of your life.

And that you won't know unless you try one (them).  

so it's a state thing and difficult to get a second opinion?

that makes it difficult but not impossible.

do research online and find some organization that will hook u up

with a new doctor for free.they exist.

don't go with one of these people's opinion after seeing u for a short time.

you might just be a human being with emotions that doesn't necessarily have to be

medicated away.

but act now.the system can b cruel and u can get stuck somewhere u don't wanna be.

you might also have bipolar.i hope not.

best of luck from "the land of the free".such bullshit.

I see her again in a couple weeks, what I am going to TRY and do is ask her what specific things make her continually go towards a bipolar dx (I tend to tune her out the moment she mentions the word) and then I will calmy explain to her my thoughts... Hopefully we can reach an understanding.

If not then I will go about getting a second opinion.

I just really dont want to go on any more meds. I know they help, I get that, but my panic disorder makes it almost impossible for me take anything new.

I was really resistant to the Bipolar diagnosis.  So much so that, if I'm honest, I have to admit that I was concealing symptoms from my pdoc.  Finally having a really honest conversation and looking at the overall picture helped.  Getting the right diagnosis was the first step in getting the right treatment.  I have had times where my medications really helped me live a stable life.  And, now, my med cocktail is not working for me and we are messing with it.  Bipolar is a moving target, my pdoc always says.  But if you are having symptoms for which you are not getting relief that would be better described as Bipolar, it's in your interest to allow in the proper diagnosis so that you can get the proper treatment.  Otherwise, you're just left to suffer without real direction in your treatment.

I had a doctor suggest that I was bipolar in my first appointment with him, back in 2009. I shut him down completely, told him that I really didn't believe that I was bipolar and there were all sorts of other explanations for my pressured speech (I was a competitive debater! We talk fast!) and other symptoms. He backed off, never mentioned it again. Well, then a year and a half later he died, so I saw another pdoc who also suggested bipolar. I still disagreed with her and so I never went back, and instead picked a new doctor. That doctor suggested bipolar but didn't press the issue, and just gave me the meds I wanted until, what do you know, in January 2012 I had a hell of a mixed episode that landed me on disability and was probably about fifty times worse than it could have been had I been treated with the bipolar meds since 2009.

So, what I'm saying is that I understand feeling resistant to the diagnosis. It is much more socially acceptable to just have some depression and anxiety. Bipolar is more stigmatized. But if you are in fact having bipolar episodes, mild as you think they may be, ignoring the opinion of this doctor could result in your symptoms becoming much worse.

I suggest reading "Why am I still depressed?" by Jim Phelps. It explains a lot of the "softer" signs of bipolar's initial presentation. Keep in mind that with each subsequent episode, your brain becomes predisposed to develop more severe symptoms. This is called kindling.

I could have written your original post five years ago. I thought I was just depressed and anxious and neurotic, garden variety entry-level psych problems. Had I listened to my doctors from the get-go, maybe I would have never had to spend a year and a half on SSDI and go through thirty different meds before finding the one that worked. 

I have never experienced psychosis as a result of my bipolar disorder. There is something called hypomania, which is a less severe type of mania. It has most of the same symptoms but the person does not lose touch with reality. There are no delusions or hallucinations. People who have hypomanic episodes rather than full-blown mania are usually diagnosed with bipolar II. 

http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-2-disorder

I also bristled at being told I was bipolar. I switched docs and refused the treatment. A few months later I had a hell of a manic episode and ended up back in the original docs office. It's a hard diagnosis. I still have trouble with it ten years later. 

It can be a difficult diagnosis.

Try focusing on the symptoms you have and treating those, rather than the labels they throw at you. The diagnosis is for insurance purposes. in Canada, where I am, they focus more on symptoms than diagnosis because we don't have to worry about insurance companies (socialized healthcare) and it makes life easier.

But Ive never had any kind of psychosis before, and isn't that a big thing when a person is manic?

Not always.  You can have bipolar without psychosis.

Like I said, I will sit down with my pdoc and have us both lay our cards out on the table.

I mentioned this all to ny best friend, and she even said she could see where my pdoc is coming from.

Yet I truly dont see it, and I know body pretty well. I can feel a panic attack coming on from a mile away, and I can usually tell a day or two before I drop into a deep depression, that one is coming... So I would know if I wasnt being myself.

In fact my panic and hyochondria has made me hyperaware of all my behaviors, so I just cant see me missing something.