CrazyBoards.org

I'm a recovering addict. I agree an addict could be anyone regardless of social standing. I have done a lot of bad things to fuel my habit, and I come from quite a stable, well-off background. I've met addicts (mostly meth) from both ends of the "social scale" and either way, both sides ain't pretty.

At the height of my alcoholism, I had a house, a car, a job with good insurance, and a girlfriend.  I thought I couldn't be an alcoholic because I wasn't a bum on the street drinking out of a paper bag.  The thing was that I was miserable.  And I didn't want to live.  The only thing that made getting up and going through te day bearable was alcohol.  In sobriety, I lost that house, car, job, and girlfriend, and found that I was much happier without them.

I don't know where you're getting your information from. Addicts come from all walks of live. 

I had more money as an addict than I've ever had since (and not because I spent it all on substances, either).

• 1 month later...

On the other hand, (no pun intended) it's better to burn out than it is to become a over-hyped, shiny piece of highly compressed carbon.

Say eh? Could you rephrase this---as if you were speaking to a five year old?  (Thank you Denzil Washington!)

I really do not want to either assume or WAG regarding what you mean/intend, yet I admit I am leaning towards doing so...

Sorry, just a dumb joke referring to the worth of diamonds vs coal via a classic Neil Young song. Nothing deep implied. I in fact am addicted, among other things to cracking jokes. 

..am addicted, to cracking jokes. 

Oh, yes, well, ummmhhh, jokes are only amusing when your audience understands the context and the content. Better luck next time.

From a wholly personal POV, there is nothing of a joking nature surrounding addiction. Even, or maybe even more so, about being addicted to joking about the tragedy of addiction, any addiction.

If you are the only one who "gets" your jokes, you need to step back and evaluate your addiction.

Thanks for the advise, I may a newbie here but this doesn't strike me as a humorless forum. Laughter is in fact damn good therapy.  The world is just as full of critics as it is bad jokes. My advise to you is if you don't like, don't listen and I'll do the same.

Thanks Ovoid, I'm glad someone got it. It doesn't help that the Segway to the joke, another members post, disappeared or at least I can no longer find it. That said the joke was probably in bed taste. God knows I've told worse. When it comes to jokes I usually prefer to target myself. That way I get everyone on my side.