CrazyBoards.org

I have heard of some studies done in which Topamax has been investigated for the efficacy in treating alcohol dependence, cocaine dependence, etc.  (I don't have any citations off the top of my head, but after college I worked in an addiction research center, and one of the psychiatrists was running a study on using Topamax for treatment of alcohol abuse.  I have also separately heard that Topamax can help with "impulsive behaviors" in general (binge/purge, self-harm, etc).

Has anyone ever used it for purposes of reducing substance cravings and/or specifically to target impulsive behaviors?  I have been struggling with substance abuse (DXM/"robotripping") with increasing lengths of abstinent time, but still using impulsively and having cravings.  I also struggle with self-harm and binging behaviors with very rare purging (hx of full blown bulimia-- I'm afraid with increasing sobriety (12 days clean) that my ED and self-harm behaviors will exacerbate.  

I was on Topamax before for about 10 months, and it seemed to have a positive impact on my binge eating, at the very least.  I was not having substance use problems then, so I can't comment with that.  It probably helped with mood stability to an extent.  (I'm not bipolar, more like borderline personality traits or full blown BPD, depending on which provider you ask, so a mood stabilizer is not imperative nor are medications the cure-all).  And to top it off, I had less frequent headaches (working with gdoc to figure out if the chronic headaches are migraine, tension, or combined).  And the Lamictal headache had not seemed to truly go away-- I always have at least a dull headache to an extent.

My current pdoc doesn't have much experience with Topamax, so that was part of the reason for the switch from Topamax to Lamictal.  (The other reason was I wanted to go on the BC pill, but boy was that a disaster!)  I was thinking about talking to her about Topamax again and seeing if we can trade out the Lamictal for the Topamax.  But I wanted to get some feedback about whether anyone here has used it for addiction, self-harm, binge eating/EDNOS, PTSD and BPD symptoms, etc.  Thanks!

Hi there, I have tried Topomax for a few months on two occasions.  I took it to treat my binge eating--I didn't notice any effect on my alcohol problem but I wasn't specifically tracking that.  I took 200 mg.  It worked fairly well, but both times I discontinued it due to the cognitive side effects.  It really made me fuzzy-brained.  I wish you the best if you make the switch again!

Hi Seashells, thanks for your response.  That's interesting-- I know that Topamax is generally associated with cognitive effects (hence the nickname "Dopamax"), but I don't recall really experiencing that side effect much, if at all beyond the first few days.  I was on 150mg as my max dose.  I have noticed the cognitive side effect more from Lamictal, which is somewhat present now but really kicks into gear whenever we've ever attempted to go above 100mg.  

Did the Topamax help you with the binge eating?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      This seems most indicative of BPD, but pdocs tell me I don't meet major criteria for it. I have no previous symptoms of: SI, suicide attempts, impulsive behavior, no addictions or eating disorders, no delusions, black/wt thinking, no manias) I have held longer-term (2-5 year) romantic relationships.
      Pdocs have thrown every med at me for 2 decades. Nothing is really making a lot of improvement. I have no adequate diagnosis, because I don't (completely) meet the formal criteria for any one disorder, but traits from many. I've been previous diagnosed with: Major Depression with dysthymia (with/without psychotic features) BP2, PTSD, GAD, BPD, ADD) I surely can't have all these disorders?!

Rapid-cycling emotions (erratic moods can shift every 1-3 hours, not usually just up & down)
      Chronic (moderate) depression, frequent dysphoria, some anxious distress
      Hypersensitivity to many things (including rejection)
      Chronic Emptiness
      Anhedonia (lack of motivation, pleasure in anything, not even sex)
      Perfectionism (includes obsessiveness)
      Paranoia (but not delusional, with insight)
      Hypersomnia, chronic fatigue
      Distractible
      Poor memory
      Very low stress tolerance (has triggered dissociation)

• By mjs190
      I'm currently on a cocktail of Seroquel XR at 600 mg and Lamictal at 150 mg. My Seroquel dose got this high because of a mixed episode, so as of now, thats likely where I'll stay for a while to keep things stable. I was at 400 mg which not only lacked the sedation of lower doses, but also came with a lessened appetite. But that all came back when I bumped up to 600 mg.
      I've put on 10-ish pounds or so in a month, and I'm not thrilled. I asked my doctor for a Metformin Rx to help with the metabolic side effects. She was hesitant, but agreed I may need something and actually leaned more towards Topamax instead. She wants me to try 1 more month of dieting and exercise to see if I can manage without adding another med.
      Now I'm leaning towards Topamax, since maybe it could have mood stabilizing properties to it, in addition to curbing appetite and helping me lose weight. I'm not overweight by any means, but I'm definitely hyper-vigilant about my body and tend to...obsess. 
      Has anyone taken Topamax and found that it (1) helped with appetite or weight control and (2) had positive effects on their illness?
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By BipolarBicyclist
      I made the prolonged mistake of not refilling my meds for about 3 weeks. Whoops! I'm on 20 mg of aripiprazole (Abilify) and 200 mg of lamotrigine (Lamictal), which I've been on for about 2 years in varying doses. So my friends finally took me to the pharmacist today to pick them up, but I want to make sure I'm safe about going back on. Should I slowly increase dosages? Or can I just start back on my normal amount ASAP? I would go to a psychiatrist to figure this out, but I there aren't any appointments for another 2 weeks.