how addictive is klonopin?

so i just started clonazepam (or klonopin, i'm not sure which name to call it) and i'm worried about it being addictive. right now i'm taking 0.5 mg twice a day for akathisia, a rather unpleasant side effect that i get from latuda. after two days of being on it the akathisia was completely gone, so it's working fine, but i'm worried since my pdoc was very insistent about how i should only take it if i absolutely have to because he said that it's super addictive. i also had to show ID when  i picked it up because apparently it's a controlled substance because it's so addictive. all this got me worried that if i take my meds as prescribed i'm gonna end up addicted to them, especially since i have a history of substance abuse. can anyone with experience with klonopin tell me if it's actually as addictive as it's being made out to be or if i just stick to what i'm supposed to take i'll be fine?

According to my doctor, Klonopin is the least addictive of the benzos, so make of that what you will. For me it was also the least effective and I'm pretty sure I would've gotten more relief out of a Benedryl, but obviously it's working for you.

For some people benzos are very addictive, and for others (like me) they're simply not. I took Ativan every night for sleep for over a year, then just stopped it one day because I felt like it and never had a single problem, other than the return of the sleep problem it had been treating. But other people struggle for months or years trying to get off benzos.

If you take it as prescribed, you should be fine. I took 3 mg of Klonopin every day for 3 years, and when it stopped working for me (tolerance), I tapered off without any problems. Now I realize that other people have a harder time then me getting off of it, but I do think that the claims of benzos being "super addictive" are exaggerated.

Edit: I have taken various other benzos in my life and I never had a problem with any of them. Just be sure to take it as prescribed and do not increase the dose without pdoc approval.

Edited by jt07

If you take it as prescribed you shouldn't have a problem.  I take 0.5 in the AM and 0.5 in the PM, and I have no problems, and never had a problem with it.  Coming off of it or weaning down is hard, but if you take it slow it should be ok.

FWIW I have to show ID also with xanax and any other controlled substance.  I think they do it because there is a high rate of the med being abused.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as you take it as prescribed and it is working for you.  As said before, Klonopin is probably the least addictive of all the benzos... mainly because of the fact that it is long acting/long lasting (i.e. takes about 45 minutes or so to kick in, or at least for me...whereas something like ativan kicks in rather quickly but leaves the body sooner).  

I take 2mg daily (1mg AM and PM), and I have been able to taper off Klonopin before with no problem when it hasn't really been needed in my cocktail.  (I've had MUCH more difficulty tapering off SSRIs, but YMMV.)  Good luck with it-- glad to hear that its helping the akathisia.

thanks everyone, this is super helpful to hear. it's reassuring to know that the drug isn't as "super addictive" as i thought it was. if it causes some dependency i can handle that since i was pretty dependent on seroquel for a while but now i'm tapering off it so it's not a huge deal or anything.