CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

I was told to snap out of it. As if i wouldnt if i could. I @#&+n hate when people say that. This ends my rant

Yep, I also have never met anyone who enjoys being depressed. These sorts of things used to make me angry, but now I know that it just comes from ignorance. I've learned that no one can understand MI unless they have suffered from it themselves.

I'm always in semi-disbelief that in 2014 people actually say this to someone with mental health issues.

If you ever get a chance to read in the national media a story on MI, take a look at the comments. There are many ignorant people out there some of whom do not even believe that MI exists.

I've been told I need to get a job where I work more. (I only work as needed for about 10-15 hours a week). I can't think of any better treatment for depression than more stress!

I think it's stuff like this that drives me to work in advocacy and education once I'm stable.

Sadly sometimes we need to be more selective about who we hangout with for some of our friends just don't get it and never will. I've gotten the just snap out of it, just think happy thoughts, just stop it, and the like all from people I know; all people who are no longer a part of my life too.

Yep, I also have never met anyone who enjoys being depressed. These sorts of things used to make me angry, but now I know that it just comes from ignorance. I've learned that no one can understand MI unless they have suffered from it themselves.

I'm always in semi-disbelief that in 2014 people actually say this to someone with mental health issues.

If you ever get a chance to read in the national media a story on MI, take a look at the comments. There are many ignorant people out there some of whom do not even believe that MI exists.

yeah, I know it exists (though I finding reading comments sections general disheartening) but it still kind of makes me scratch my head. d-Man, I'm sorry you're not feeling that your girlfriend is getting it.

I enjoy being depressed.

I mean, it's really painful at times, and completely empty at others, and all of that, but... The deeper I sink, the more I feel at peace. It's almost like I'm 'home'.

Happiness, on the other hand... Even if I don't mind it, it always feels so frivolous. It might make a good tourist destination, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I know I'm strange, though.

^IN BOLD.  Take a look at you tube ... there are so many anti-MI videos it sickens me.  And the thing is a lot of them are DRs speaking.  One pdoc was a pdoc who weaned her patients off meds, not put them on them.  Fucked.

^IN BOLD.  Take a look at you tube ... there are so many anti-MI videos it sickens me.  And the thing is a lot of them are DRs speaking.  One pdoc was a pdoc who weaned her patients off meds, not put them on them.  Fucked.

Oh my god. Seriously? That dumbass needs her license yanked and sued for malpractice by every patient she's ever had. I've had it up to HERE with fucking moronic idiots like that!!

Edited by hagar running

Oh my god. Seriously? That dumbass needs her license yanked and sued for malpractice by every patient she's ever had. I've had it up to HERE with fucking moronic idiots like that!!

Totally serious ... I wish I had links to the ones I saw to show you what I mean, but then again the you tubes would probably piss people off as much as they did me, and possibly people wouldn't be able to watch them in their entirety because of the anger they provoke.

Totally serious ... I wish I had links to the ones I saw to show you what I mean, but then again the you tubes would probably piss people off as much as they did me, and possibly people wouldn't be able to watch them in their entirety because of the anger they provoke.

That's really disheartening. Yes, I better give it a pass. I had to gently correct a professor from my school this week who, in response to an article on the benefits of exercise for depression, described depression as an "existential problem." Um, no. It is a fucking medical condition that destroys lives and kills people.

That's really disheartening. Yes, I better give it a pass. I had to gently correct a professor from my school this week who, in response to an article on the benefits of exercise for depression, described depression as an "existential problem." Um, no. It is a fucking medical condition that destroys lives and kills people.

I would have been pissed!  I'm glad you corrected her and I hope she was receptive to it.

But what I don't understand about phrases like 'suck it up' or 'snap out of it' ... even if someone's never experienced depression itself... what do these people think life is? How do they think it works? What kind of bubble are they living in?

When... in the history of conflicts and problems and bad situations to be in ... has snapping your fingers, clapping your heals and ignoring the problem... ever... made it go away? Magically - puff! - dissolving into fairy dust?

We all have are problems to fight, don't we? We all have to deal with something? And dealing is, as far as I can see, a process, differing in length, varying in its methods, depending on the person you are... it's like people can hurt themselves in different ways, a scratch will take its time to heal, so does a broken bone... and I don't see anyone running around telling physically hurt people to just 'snap out of it'... as if that would make it heal faster! Don't look at it, maybe if you just ignore it, it'll go away... how stupid is that??

For me it seems people use these phrases to be dismissive, to not have to take you seriously.

Might be helplessness, might be fear, might be pure fucking ignorance. 

It still ends up to be hurtful.

If only they could spend one day in our minds...

I can understand the frustration people have while watching someone they know/love go down in flames. But people need to cautious with their words.

I know when things like this are said to me it makes me even more suicidal, almost just to prove a point.

When... in the history of conflicts and problems and bad situations to be in ... has snapping your fingers, clapping your heals and ignoring the problem... ever... made it go away? Magically - puff! - dissolving into fairy dust?

I believe you just killed Tinkerbell.

LOL

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :)  

I have stopped reading any comments on articles or videos about mental health. It wasn't helping my mental health.

Seriously, some people are so fucking stupid and even MEAN that it hurts. I got a tension headache reading people saying very abusive things about people with mental illnesses and I was done.

Like it's our fault and we're all lazy sacks of shit who pretend to be ill for attention/to shirk responsibilities. It's absolutely maddening. 

I can't believe that people believe these things. I caught myself wishing that they'd have a serious depressive episode once and then thought I still wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, let alone stupid strangers on the internet. Whatever. Those are the kind of people that there is no reasoning with. Shit.