CrazyBoards.org

What frustrates me is that binge eating is never taken seriously by the Mental Health System.

As a child I was morbidly obese and it was never taken seriously by doctors. I was always eating, mostly as a coping mechanism. I remember I was constantly checking the fridge for food, even after dinner. I just never stopped eating. I gained so much weight that it took me 6 years to lose it. The only thing doctors did, was tell my mom that I needed to eat vegetables.... and they also gave me a voucher for the gym which didn't help economically much either. 

It took my Mom installing a lock in the fridge for me to lose weight. It's only recently that I can manage without the lock. I still open the fridge door to check what there is but I don't eat anything. The new way I manage is by doing my own shopping and cooking. So the way I manage to stay healthy and thin, is by buying only essential food and eating a lot of food that is low on calories so I can subconsciously tell my self I've eaten enough. I am just fed up that food effects my life so much, it is so hard to resist eating crap and my metabolism don't help either.

I can cope with it, although the problem is still there and now that I am thiner it is even harder to get help for it . I am disappointed with the mental health system, I feel as they don't support everyone. They are excellent at helping me with my other problems that effect my life but not when it comes to food addiction.

Does anybody feel like that anyway?

Edited by StJimmy9151

I binge ate my way up to 320 pounds once. I can't say they didn't take my eating seriously-the one time I was hospitalized for depression they also put me on an 1000-calorie diet for the duration. I hated it, but I dropped quite a bit of weight.

I've been up and down ever since, but never quite as large.

Binge eating is just a really hard issue, honestly.  

I'm liking topiramate and sertraline for semi-supressing my appetite, hoping I won't have to switch to drugs that give me munchies to control my depression.

Yeah, I did too.  When I didn't look skinny as a rail or totally obese, I *didn't* have an ED.  It was like, "Just cut down on the snacking" etc etc.  Same shit different day.  Fortunately eventually current pdoc took me seriously at one point when I was getting heavier every time I saw him.

For the most part, my mental health providers over the years have taken my binge eating seriously, understand it's a coping / self-medication mechanism, and try to support me, since it's a difficult disease with limited treatment options.  Actually one therapist I saw was at an eating disorders specialty clinic, and on the hundreds of times I was there, I never saw anyone fat in the waiting room, their clients seemed to tilt heavily (no irony intended!) towards anorexia, based on body shapes.  My tdoc there said he treated very few BED patients.

My current pdoc, and other pdocs in the past (I move a lot for work), have been completely supportive.  On the other hand, I have yet to find a non-pdoc of any variety that realizes I have a serious illness besides bipolar.  They look at the scale and the lab results and want me to go on a diet.  I have explained several times that my meal intake is normal, but that I binge on chocolate, almost exclusively.  And after I explained that, my current GP tried to start me on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and the one before that told me I should eat off of smaller salad plates to reduce my intake. 

Needless to say, I dread going to the GP, and like going to the pdoc.  It really and truly sucks, because I think a lot of us, and maybe most of us, who are morbidly obese, have BED.  I am always excited to see a mainstream media article on eating disorders, and then disappointed yet again to find out it only talks about anorexia and bulimia.  I'm not trying to discount the suffering experienced by people with those disorders, but I wish BED would get some more air time.

The only way I manage is with an 1000 calorie diet(it's not that bad if you eat low calorie food products). I do feel better that now my BMI is at the normal range and not at the severely obese range.

I don't think medication would help though, since I feel the need to eat even when my stomach is full. Plus, I'm already on 3 other medications, I don't want to be taking too many pills.

Edited by StJimmy9151

Yeah, I did too.  When I didn't look skinny as a rail or totally obese, I *didn't* have an ED.  It was like, "Just cut down on the snacking" etc etc.  Same shit different day.  Fortunately eventually current pdoc took me seriously at one point when I was getting heavier every time I saw him.

OMG, yes, this!  I have been struggling with binge eating for quite some time with occasional restricting and very occasional purging-- was full on bulimic in my early 20s.  However, I am not particularly overweight (I'm over what I would like to be/"normally" am but not medically overweight) and certainly not thin.  It was hell convincing my gdoc that I needed a referral to a dietician for EDNOS because I had lost touch with what a "meal" actually was (which my therapist and eating disorder IOP was REQUIRING me to have a dietician, but all referrals with my dumb-ass insurance have to come from a gdoc, not someone that actually knows about ED and all its variants.  But that's an different issue for a different day!)  

• 4 weeks later...

Just a note, please don't use numbers such as calories or weights, in the ED forum.

They need to take binge eating much more seriously.

I read a book called "Locked up for eating too much" by an American, in the 80's, who went to a treatment centre for food addicts. Very interesting book. She journaled her stay there. They need to have places like that (but better run) around. 

I believe you that food addiction exists. I wish the health system would too. Please don't starve yourself, that will just lead to more binging. What about a counselor or therapist that can assist you?

Just a note, please don't use numbers such as calories or weights, in the ED forum.

What the fuck?  Since when?  Because I'm a good citizen and long-standing member here, I just re-read the site rules, and I didn't see any mention of not using numbers in this forum.  I did see a post you put in the ED forum in December 2013 about this, but that's the only place I could find it. 

If I wanted to dance around my issues with food and not speak the names of binge foods or otherwise censor myself, I would attend an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, where censorship is in full sway.  But this is CrazyBoards, where we're not walking on eggshells, remember? 

I weigh 300 pounds, and although I don't walk on eggshells, since it's Easter Sunday, I feel like stomping the hell out of some eggshells right about now.  It's hard for me to express how pissed off your post makes me, and I think most people here would agree that's unusual as I'm pretty easy going and hard to offend.  

I believe you that food addiction exists.

So I was mildly pissed off at the opening statement in your post, but this made me livid!  :angry:  If I understand your statement, you don't have binge eating disorder or a  food addiction, but are making a third-party comment on this first-person site.  If you don't have experience with binge eating, then why in the hell did you even reply to this post? 

VE recently put up a reminder to everyone to not post about things that they don't have personal experience with, so hopefully you will find it and read it. 

Signed,

An infuriated Catnapper

I'm struggling with this as well. 

I saw my gdoc just over a week ago, and learned that I have gained a significant amount of weight in a few months.  I'm shocked and disgusted with myself.  I now weigh over twice what I ought to for my height.  Gdoc suspects it has something to do with the abilify.  I know it has something to do with the binging.  Gdoc wants me only eating so many calories a day, which I feel constantly hungry if I even try. 

Girlfriend was mad when she heard the suggestion as she feels it's not a safe enough amount of food to be eating.  She wants gdoc to refer me to a dietician instead (which I don't think my insurance pays for). 

So I am counting my calories, but I am not down to his suggested intake.  I'm also exercising daily, which feels really good.  I'm using spark people, and follwing their suggestions for calories eaten vs exercise.  I did really well at managing my new diet until Friday night when I could not sleep, was hungry, and majorly purged.  Significant fail.  I totally threw in the towel on calorie counting yesterday after that happened, but I am back at it today.  I am determined to get my weight back under control, and I really don't know how to do it. 

I realized that I do a lot of my binging at night when I can't sleep.  I overeat at other times as well, but it's really common for me to do it at night. 

I have been to OA, and I hated it.  Which I don't understand.  I go to AA for my alcoholism, and it works really well for me, but OA just triggers me, and the people there aren't really nice about it.  I think it has to do with the fact that my mom, who was one of my abusers, was morbidly obese, and went to OA at times.  When I go I feel like I have failed myself and become just like her even though I said I never would.  I know I am not that heavy yet, but I don't want to get any closer to that kind of weight. 

I see my pdoc and tdoc on Wednesday, and I want to tell them, but I am scared. 

What the fuck?  Since when?  Because I'm a good citizen and long-standing member here, I just re-read the site rules, and I didn't see any mention of not using numbers in this forum.  I did see a post you put in the ED forum in December 2013 about this, but that's the only place I could find it.

Catnapper, I think the reason for the numbers thing is not being in the site rules is that it applies only to one specific sub forum, while the site rules are general to all of the sub forums/boards. Numbers are ok in sub forums like lifestyle and nutritional, or hormonal and glandular or any of the others.

Where a sub forum has its own specific rules/guidelines that don't apply to the others, they are usually stated in a pinned post at or near the top of the sub forum. As well as the one on numbers in the ED board, there are also fairly extensive guidelines for posting in the self harm board, a reminder that this is a first person site on the personality disorders sub forum and that it is not a place for people to make negative remarks about people with personality disorders. There is also a guide for posting on the substance abuse/addictions board.

This stuff is only relevant to people posting in those specific sub forums.

I think it might be good for there to be a note on this in the site rules page, actually, although they would probably get too long if it contained all the individual sub forum guidelines.

Some people with EDs can and are triggered by numbers, although I suspect that this applies more to the purging and restricting, rather than binging, families of EDs. They can be triggering for some people because some EDs have a competitive edge to them that could lead to someone trying to eat fewer/the same amount of calories or have a lower/the same BMI as the number that they have seen posted.

In addition, posting numbers can make some people with EDs feel inadequate because their weight or calorie intake isn't dangerous/low/high enough for them to legitimately have a problem with disordered eating, for which they are entitled to seek help.

I get that it might be empowering or just not a big deal for you to post your weight or you're just trying to describe the ridiculousness of misinformed treatment you've had in the past. And, maybe triggery-ness of numbers is less of a big thing for people with BED than for some other EDs.

I don't know the case for everyone who peruses the ED board but personally I do find numbers trigger-y in some contexts. I have only experienced restrictive disordered eating though, not binge eating and can only speak for myself. I am responsible for my own triggers elsewhere but not using numbers means I don't have to avoid the board for this reason, which is helpful if I want to post or read about other people's experiences here.

It's probably a lot easier to mod the board with a blanket ban on calorie/weight/BMI numbers than to mod them selectively depending on context and whether the use of numbers is trigger-y "enough", because these will vary from person to person.

Numbers are trigger-y to me as well. And I had anorexia and still have all the thoughts and I have had BED and arguably still have it too.

I don't see a problem with San's post. She was validating the OP.

I'm sorry but I just don't see a problem here? Maybe after some cool off time there can be a "agree to disagree".

It's alright - now you know.

I know that 12-step programmes don't work for some people, but I've also heard that OA can be helpful for some. I'm sure that that's already been suggested to you though.

Do you know what triggers a binge? For me I was taught that undereating to compensate can do that. I don't know about where you are, but where I am we have access to dieticians and nutritionists as we need them. What if you started by eliminating physical cues to binge (like being over-hungry) with a healthy eating plan while you worked on finding someone to help you with the mental aspect?

I will stay out of this forum and let it be like 90% of other ED boards on the internet, where only anorexia and bulimia are addressed.  Clearly I don't fit in here, and the pun is most definitely intended.

Yeah, I did too. When I didn't look skinny as a rail or totally obese, I *didn't* have an ED. It was like, "Just cut down on the snacking" etc etc. Same shit different day. Fortunately eventually current pdoc took me seriously at one point when I was getting heavier every time I saw him.

I told my doctor about my bulimia, and she just said to use coping skills. Like.... That is a coping skill.

Yeah, I did too. When I didn't look skinny as a rail or totally obese, I *didn't* have an ED. It was like, "Just cut down on the snacking" etc etc. Same shit different day. Fortunately eventually current pdoc took me seriously at one point when I was getting heavier every time I saw him.

I told my doctor about my bulimia, and she just said to use coping skills. Like.... That is a coping skill.

What a bunch of unhelpful shit!  Your DR clearly doesn't know much of anything of EDs if his/her only answer to you was to use coping skills.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having a string of days where I have eaten way too much. I mean way way way too much. We'll just say I put back on in week a third of what I lost in 6 months. And I am suffering. I think constantly of eating and then meditate on my guilt for overeating. But it's more than just cravings...it is more like an unsuppressable urge to eat. Everything. It sucks and it's getting worse daily...don't know if that might be related to me going of my meds or not, but it would be an interesting coincidence. Have not found any useful advice.

Edited by epiphanyanon