CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
jlondon

Feeling helpless

I finally got the courage to talk to a Doctor about my bulimia today and feel like he was completely dismissive of it. I was in to discuss something else (pain meds) and he asked if my general health  was okay, I told him I had been really worried about my health due to being sick most of my life (14 years), he asked if it was recurrent sickness but when I said that I had been doing it myself he said that the pain makes things feel worse and I would feel a lot better about it after I've managed to get some sleep. I am on pain relief for a minor operation I had last week - I hardly think that when I've recovered from that half a lifetime of being sick will feel less serious to me, 

I have been worrying a lot since before Christmas as I finally made myself face up to the long term problems and have wanted to have a health check since then. I have improved a lot over the last few months but still relapse sometimes. I had a friend at work with the same problem and we were going to help each other but it just made me relapse due to her being older and skinnier than me (she also binge exercises about 2 hours a day).

I feel really humiliated that I dont feel I was taken seriously after finally getting the courage to speak up so I dont really see where else there is to go from this. 

• Like 1

Welcome to CB :)

That took a lot of courage to tell your DR, and that is something to be proud about ...  I'm sorry though that your DR didn't take you seriously.  Can you find another DR?  Do you see a psychiatrist (pdoc) you could tell?

Or maybe write a very detailed letter to your DR describing what you've been going through, and then mailing it to her (keeping a copy for yourself in case they say they "didn't get it")?  When I've done this to DRs, every time I've gotten a call to come in and talk about it.  They always seem to listen more (if they aren't already taking me seriously) when I write to them.

• Like 1

Good for you for speaking up! It can be so hard. It's devastating to not be believed.

It sounds to me as though there was a lack of understanding. When I'm in a lot of pain I get nauseated from it. Perhaps that is the track that your doctor was thinking - that you do it as a result of something else.

I wonder if you can tried again more generally - "I am worried that I have an eating disorder. Can you help me with a referral?" if that might be a little better? Sometimes we need to keep bringing up issues until they are taken seriously. I usually bring a concerned relative with me to help me convey that this is seriously a problem. Otherwise I tend to be dismissed.

• Like 1

Another welcome to CB.

It is horrible to not be believed. Rosie has some good suggestions, be more direct, and don't stop until you get the referral. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By solidandvoid
      i've been having this thing where my eating disorder and adhd kind of combine forces: i'll take 10mg ritalin LA (+150mg bupropion) in the morning, not feel hungry all day, then when it wears off and i get hungry again i overeat, feel guilty, and struggle not to vom. tbh even if it's a normal amount of food i'll feel bloated and want to vom.
      sometimes i'll try to get myself to eat while the medication's still in effect by smoking weed, but i end up b/ping almost 100% of the time. i'm seeing my psychiatrist soon so i'll discuss this with them, but i'm curious if anyone else has had these experiences.
    • By xanathos
      I don't know why but after not really struggling with binging and purging for several years (9) I seem to be picking it up again. I told my psychiatrist and he recommended a place that has services for people with eating disorders but I feel like they'd not believe me that I have a problem because I'm overweight or they would judge. I'm scared my teeth will be ruined because it's hard not to whenever I binge. Seems like I almost-impulsively plan to binge hours in advance. 
    • By watyousay
      Hey I am new. Long-time eating disorder sufferer. Started with anorexia and morphed into bulimia, then went to drugs, then went back to EDs, then went orthorexic/exercise bulimic. Went to treatment for the second time a couple years ago and have a treatment team. Noticed that once I started working hard on my ED, I was spending like crazy. Also was on Rexulti at that time. Spending comes and goes but gets bad when my eating gets better. Drives me nuts! Brain needs the rush. Feel like I can't escape. I hate spending, but drugs and bulimia seem worse? Anyone else struggle with this?
    • By SimplyLucy
      I know the title sounds a little silly but let me explain (buckle up this is going to be a long one)
      As a person that has struggled with heavy eating disorder tendencies for over 6 years now, you would think that I would have this all figured out by now... But that just isn't the case. It kinda just crept up on me when I was 10 and it never went away. I can't exactly pin how it started or why (otherwise it would be easier to treat it. Go figure) however, I never actively thought, "I want to skip meals and be thin". It just became a habit, one that I just can't break despite my best efforts. Its not that I don't want people to know because I dont want them to stop me, its mostly because I'm ashamed that my life has come to this. I am a very happy person that is friends with everyone and just wants the best for people. I just don't want this to change the way they see me. Such a strong and nice person being controlled by some thing so awful. Besides, there is a lot going on in my home life anyway and I dont want to add this on top of it all.
      I know a lot of people say that "biology eventually rules out" and "you're setting yourself up for a binge the more you don't eat" I wish it were like that for me. I don't even have to think about it and I end up not eating for at least 3 days to sometimes a week at a time. And the few times that I do eat I just end up throwing it up anyway. Everything just feels so dull and repetitive that I don't even notice. I actively try to eat. But I keep falling back into the same behavior I don't want to die but I don't want to keep living this way. What should I do?
    • By ktfergie
      What medications have you found that have worked for binge eating disorder or bulimia? Topamax kinda helps, but I hate the side effects (depression, hair loss, slowed thinking, tiredness, etc....) and was wondering if anybody else had success with any other medications. Or if you've found ways to deal with the cognitive side effects of topamax?
      Thank you.