CrazyBoards.org

Water, you really do take this momming stuff seriously, you know?

You work very hard at it. 

thank you.

I have an incredible daughter.

She is one of the coolest people I know.

In many ways she has more to teach me than I can ever show her.

She was adopted at birth and does not have my genes.

this I believe now, is a good thing. :-}

It is an open adoption so she has sisters and brothers galore.

And many many relatives from my and my hubby;'s family.

Lastly, she shouldn't be using Listerine to clean her tongue piercing. It's far too harsh. If she is using mouthwash at all, it should be Biotine, which is pricey, but worth it. All I recommended was sterile saline, such as H20cean or you can make your own mix: 1/4 tsp of sea salt (non iodized) to a FULL CUP of distilled water. Boiled water (obviously let it cool down) can be used in a pinch. Never throw salt in tap water. Keep it in a bottle, rinse with it a few times a day.

A bit overwhelmed right now and all of a sudden it hit this girl is sitting with my kid in her bedroom & they are about to go outside. I ran upstairs, memorized this quote, ran downstairs, and breathlessly said, " I have a friend, she does piercings, and told her all of this. She completely understood everything from the harsh listerine to the water distilling. thank you so much!!

I may not like it but it's not my kid.

Unless your obvious concern. lecture, and being appalled can actually alter the course of events, each response is more or less a waste of your energy. Can you do anything to influence this your woman? If her parent is very strict yet either condones or gave permission for the piercing what can you do besides being concerned and being appalled?

Water, I know that my responses in your other thread about a girl being left alone either made you angry at me or simply made me anathema, but, truly, I am trying to understand why you become so involved in the actions of other children and other parents.

It concerns me that you invest so much emotion in situations that you cannot change and that are frankly, none of you business.

Is it any of YOUR concern what people put there emotional energy in? No, yet you reply to posts. i guess thats your right. As it is the right of water to feel these things. THIS IS COMING FROM A FORMER "PUNK" WHO HAS HAD 8 PIERCINGS AND HIS WHOLE LEFT ARM, SOME NECK, SOME BACK AND SOME RIGHT ARM IS INKED. Its none of YOUR business yet you invest YOUR energy and terrible way of wording things that just offends the shit out of people. Just as i am allowed to love my body mods and people can hate them such as water.

So, once again, with the best of intentions, I have undoubtedly offended you, water, and a great many others.

Like your overconcern, I cannot keep my fingers of the keyboard.

You are correct you offend lots of people. Best intentions or not. In the short time i have been here at this site i have seen you offend me and others with your posts. Maybe if you learned how to word your "best intentions better" and not come off so hoiler then tho you woundnt offend people. In real life im sure you are fair from perfect and would bet my savings people think when you try to help someone you just make things worse.

Maybe if you learned how to speak to people then you wouldnt offend the shit out of anyone and people would actually want to talk to you.

Cant teach a old dog new tricks i guess.

I have to ask IF REALIZE YOU CONTINUALLY OFFEND PEOPLE WHY TO YOU CONTINUE TO DO IT.

Edited by Spadez87

Unless your obvious concern. lecture, and being appalled can actually alter the course of events, each response is more or less a waste of your energy. Can you do anything to influence this your woman? If her parent is very strict yet either condones or gave permission for the piercing what can you do besides being concerned and being appalled?

Water, I know that my responses in your other thread about a girl being left alone either made you angry at me or simply made me anathema, but, truly, I am trying to understand why you become so involved in the actions of other children and other parents.

It concerns me that you invest so much emotion in situations that you cannot change and that are frankly, none of you business.

Is it any of YOUR concern what people put there emotional energy in? No, yet you reply to posts. i guess thats your right. As it is the right of water to feel these things. THIS IS COMING FROM A FORMER "PUNK" WHO HAS HAD 8 PIERCINGS AND HIS WHOLE LEFT ARM, SOME NECK, SOME BACK AND SOME RIGHT ARM IS INKED. Its none of YOUR business yet you invest YOUR energy and terrible way of wording things that just offends the shit out of people. Just as i am allowed to love my body mods and people can hate them such as water.

So, once again, with the best of intentions, I have undoubtedly offended you, water, and a great many others.

You are correct you offend lots of people. Best intentions or not. In the short time i have been here at this site i have seen you offend me and others with your posts. Maybe if you learned how to word your "best intentions better" and not come off so hoiler then tho you woundnt offend people. In real life im sure you are fair from perfect and would bet my savings people think when you try to help someone you just make things worse.

Maybe if you learned how to speak to people then you wouldnt offend the shit out of anyone and people would actually want to talk to you.

I have to ask IF REALIZE YOU CONTINUALLY OFFEND PEOPLE WHY TO YOU CONTINUE TO DO IT.

I realize you are upset but please take this elsewhere.

Kid piercing a real important issue to me right now.

and it may be to other people at some point.

If you are angry at a member, I understand.

Take the fight outside the bar please.

I realize you are upset but please take this elsewhere.

Kid piercing a real important issue to me right now.

and it may be to other people at some point.

If you are angry at a member, I understand.

Take the fight outside the bar please.

Ok if you feel i hijacked your thread i do apologize. before i take leave this thread i feel i must explain myself though.

I was actually siding with you. i hope you did see that. I understand it is an important issue for you and was trying to explain to indigo that you are allowed to feel that way and have concerns, and that this was coming from someone who was a pierced teen.

Edited by Spadez87

Ok if you feel i hijacked your thread i do apologize. before i take leave this thread i feel i must explain myself though.

I was actually siding with you. i hope you did see that. I understand it is an important issue for you and was trying to explain to indigo that you are allowed to feel that way and have concerns, and that this was coming from someone who was a pierced teen.

I do understand that. Thank you for looking out for my concerns. And I know that you meant well.

But nonetheless, it is a thread hijacking.

Tell me about your teen piercings. That is MUCH more interesting and relevent and helpful. :-}

Edited by water

And to think, I get a little bothered when I see girls (under age 5) with their ears pierced.  Don't know why.  Probably from my mom drilling into me that getting one's ears pierced was for older girls.

I'm glad San weighed in...she gave lots of good information.

The tongue is not connected to the brain and breaking the body/brain barrier with an infection from a tongue piercing, well, that's almost impossible. The tongue is also muscle. I've never seen or heard of brain infections from a tongue piercing. I've also never seen an infected tongue piercing, just irritated ones. The mouth heals FAST. She should watch out for gum recession on the backs of her teeth and wear a shorter barbell and not click it against her teeth unless she wants a big dental bill in a few years. My one tongue piercing (I used to have each side done, called "venoms") rubbed a tooth, and when my dentist said this, I left them out.

San, thank you again for this wealth of information.

I am going to pass this along to her as well.  Trying not to inundate the girl and also, today is another day so my kid has different friends around.

This might have been the article I read. running out the door so haven't reread the article. Maybe this is only in the case of infection.

When you have time.....what do ya think? 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-douglas-fields/body-piercing-tongue-pier_b_560892.html

And to think, I get a little bothered when I see girls (under age 5) with their ears pierced.  Don't know why.  Probably from my mom drilling into me that getting one's ears pierced was for older girls.

I'm glad San weighed in...she gave lots of good information.

me too. I also am bothered with baby piercings which is why this was hard to deal with.  This girl, it was like overnight.  she had some ear piercings, but that was it.

I don't trust anything written by huffington post.. a lot of crap there, false crap and scare mongering.

Also, be thankful the girl is getting piercings done at a parlour and not sticking safety pins through body parts or ordering kits off the internet.

Water - I appreciate you for starting this topic!!

As a mom who does not have the fortune of seeing her child everyday I appreciate that there are people like Water out there, concerned about other people's children.

Baby piercings make me cringe. I am sort of forced into recognizing that it is a cultural thing where I live. Um...I don't really feel comfortable talking about babies anymore.

My ears were pierced when I was 5 or 6. This is something that I wanted. I remember being excited about it. But it hurt like hell (I remember). Luckily, I have never had any problems. I don't remember when my sister got her ears pierced, she may have been younger.

I've asked my daughter (who is 6) if she is interested in getting her ears pierced. Mostly because a lot of girls in her class have their ears pierced. And I would want to go with her (not her dad). So far she is not interested and that's fine.

If a child is under 18 years old I think piercings should be discussed with the parents. I don't know the legalities although I would hope a reputable shop wouldn't do something dangerous. And if my kid got something done "in a back alley" oh dear lord there would be hell to pay for the piercer.

db

Just got a text, from school (!)

"for my birthday can I get my belly button pierced?"

Can she? Is it ok? Can we do it at the mall?

I was going surprise her with a new ear piercings, but now she is jumping the gun.

I don't know what to do.

I am learning towards yes, but piercings at the mall bug me.

She will NOT want to go to the DR,'s like last time.

And this piercing place is very experienced.

She is dying her hair tomorrow. aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.......

edit: she will be 15 any day now. sigh,....

Edited by water

Very experienced sounds good...

Edited by Stickler

an experienced place, even at the mall, can be just fine.  my daughter has never had trouble with hers, and she got her belly button done at 16.  i was more concerned with whether or not she'd keep up with proper aftercare, but she was really good about it (and the rest of her subsequent piercings and tattoos).

Thank you Stickler.

Thank you Lysergia!! Good to know.  

I haven't answered her yet, I will wait until she asks again. :-}

Hubby was a bit dumbfounded, but I told him it was fine.

15 is a bit young for a bellybutton piercing, as she's still growing. I had mine done at 14, and the bottom done at 15, and I had it until my tubal ligation, when they used the marks as incisions, so I was unable to get it back in. So I had it 11 years. The scar is minimal because, well, the surgeons used it as a guide! I have a perfectly centered tiny scar though...

It has to be done with a needle because the jewellery used is either a captive bead ring or curved barbell. Some piercing shops are at the mall, but it should be done at a good piercing/tattoo shop. I recommend you call different shops, ask how long the piercer has been piercing, if they use an autoclave (for sterilization) and how often they do spore tests. You can also look them up online, for health investigation reports. This is normal, health companies do reports a few times a year and check all the records.

Ask about the piercing. Do they use curved barbells or captive bead rings? Ask the material, where they buy the jewellery (if they don't tell you, find another shop). Ask if she selects the jewellery. Ask what kind of aftercare regimen they suggest. The best is to leave it alone and soak it in salt water. Antibiotic ointments are for infections and are too strong for a new piercing. Salt water gently heals. Ask what she should wear the day of getting it pierced. High waisted clothes are a bad idea because the jewellery can catch after. I'd recommend low yoga pants and a freshly washed cotton shirt. Something it won't catch on.

Also, navel piercings can take a while to heal. The piercing itself is very quick and hurts very little. If she has a very toned stomach, it might hurt a bit more, but it's so quick with an experienced piercer. Also, most piercers do breathing and relaxation exercises, and piercer on a "deep breath out" so you're relaxed. (I always did that)

Curved barbells are ideal for a new bellybutton piercing, because very little is sticking out and it won't catch. Here's a site to look at body jewellery http://anatometal.com/ If you find a piercer that uses jewellery from this site, go with them. It is costly but they make the best jewellery out there, it will never scratch, the colour will always be bright, the gems will never fall out, no reactions (some react to nickel in stainless steel, which means the jewellery is low quality)

There are a lot of good brands, I can't think of them off the top of my head.. Industrial something.. http://www.bodyartforms.com This site contains a lot of the best jewellery and brands, but its best to use what the shop has, it's already sterile and ready to go.

I hope this helps. :)

15 is a bit young for a bellybutton piercing, as she's still growing. I had mine done at 14, and the bottom done at 15, and I had it until my tubal ligation, when they used the marks as incisions, so I was unable to get it back in. So I had it 11 years. The scar is minimal because, well, the surgeons used it as a guide! I have a perfectly centered tiny scar though...

It has to be done with a needle because the jewellery used is either a captive bead ring or curved barbell. Some piercing shops are at the mall, but it should be done at a good piercing/tattoo shop. I recommend you call different shops, ask how long the piercer has been piercing, if they use an autoclave (for sterilization) and how often they do spore tests. You can also look them up online, for health investigation reports. This is normal, health companies do reports a few times a year and check all the records.

Ask about the piercing. Do they use curved barbells or captive bead rings? Ask the material, where they buy the jewellery (if they don't tell you, find another shop). Ask if she selects the jewellery. Ask what kind of aftercare regimen they suggest. The best is to leave it alone and soak it in salt water. Antibiotic ointments are for infections and are too strong for a new piercing. Salt water gently heals. Ask what she should wear the day of getting it pierced. High waisted clothes are a bad idea because the jewellery can catch after. I'd recommend low yoga pants and a freshly washed cotton shirt. Something it won't catch on.

Also, navel piercings can take a while to heal. The piercing itself is very quick and hurts very little. If she has a very toned stomach, it might hurt a bit more, but it's so quick with an experienced piercer. Also, most piercers do breathing and relaxation exercises, and piercer on a "deep breath out" so you're relaxed. (I always did that)

Curved barbells are ideal for a new bellybutton piercing, because very little is sticking out and it won't catch. Here's a site to look at body jewellery http://anatometal.com/ If you find a piercer that uses jewellery from this site, go with them. It is costly but they make the best jewellery out there, it will never scratch, the colour will always be bright, the gems will never fall out, no reactions (some react to nickel in stainless steel, which means the jewellery is low quality)

There are a lot of good brands, I can't think of them off the top of my head.. Industrial something.. http://www.bodyartforms.com This site contains a lot of the best jewellery and brands, but its best to use what the shop has, it's already sterile and ready to go.

I hope this helps. :)

YESSSSSSSS.

I did NOT want to do the belly yet.

She said today it was ok, but then she wants another piercing on her ear.

I was told NOT to do the top of the ear - where it is mostly cartilage.  Will be much more painful.

Her lobes were pierced years ago and we had awful problems. She uses those holes now.

My idea was to let her get another piercing in her lobe. (maybe both?)

Thank you much!!!

She wants an answer now and I told her daddy and I were still deciding.

No problem. It can be done, but at her age its riskier. The healing does take forever, if she grows more, the piercing can "reject" (be pushed out of her body) and summer is coming - it's not good to swim with a new piercing. Good on you for standing up to her on the navel piercing. She should wait a couple years. 

Cartilage piercings should be done with a needle, a gun can shatter the cartilage and be much more painful and harder to heal. A needle is less painful and heals quicker, and appropriate jewellery can be used. Here's some info on piercing guns: http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

Earlobe piercings are easy to heal, there are many jewellery options when they heal, and they don't require such aftercare like a navel or cartilage piercing. Doing both at once is pretty easy. I'd recommend it being done with a needle as well (I hate piercing guns, if you can't tell!) because there's less trauma, less chance of infection, the jewellery can be delicate and pretty too, it does cost more but its definitely worth it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There's a lot of info out there if you google it, too.