CrazyBoards.org

If she wants to dye her hair thats fine - it will eventually wash out unless she finds a brand that is super duper permanent and if she does - let me know!!

On these extra piercings - I say no. I say wait until she is 18. Then she can decide for herself. She will be an adult and can make those own decisions and won't have to bother you anymore about it. See, Im putting it on her instead of you. *wink wink* hope that is a good idea.

(btw, that's a lot of what I tell my kid. She can do this and that when she is 18. She can get married and have a child when she is 30. LOL.)

xoxo,

db

Note: I do not have kids, and am replying as a tattoo and piercing enthusiast only (:

My naval piercing (curved barbell) took almost 6 months to heal, and that is with salt water solution. It is a piercing that is now the easiest to keep clean, maintain, and switch out jewelry; however it is the longest piercing I have ever had heal.

So if your daughter really wants this piercing, she will have to be diligent on cleaning during the summer. And I would tell her to not expect it to heal until after the summer (and after bikini weather). That might help her decide to wait a bit longer to get it, at least until next year mom (;

If she wants to dye her hair thats fine - it will eventually wash out unless she finds a brand that is super duper permanent and if she does - let me know!!

On these extra piercings - I say no. I say wait until she is 18. Then she can decide for herself. She will be an adult and can make those own decisions and won't have to bother you anymore about it. See, Im putting it on her instead of you. *wink wink* hope that is a good idea.

(btw, that's a lot of what I tell my kid. She can do this and that when she is 18. She can get married and have a child when she is 30. LOL.)

xoxo,

db

This works - half the time. But only if they actually decide that the piercing or tattoo is not something they wanted. However if you have a child who desires the expression or fashion deeply enough, when they turn 18 they may likely make the mistake of going to any shop.

At least, you as the parent, now have the opportunity of helping your child find a good shop and ask the important questions. Also, if your child see's that it pays to ask the important questions he or she will learn to ask those questions themselves after 18.

I personally view tattoos and body modifications as not only personal expression but as a cultural acceptance/understanding. And as long as they are done safely and correctly under professional (or experienced) hands, then everybody who is involved are happy (and still healthy).

Edited by Sloane

Earlobe piercings are easy to heal, there are many jewellery options when they heal, and they don't require such aftercare like a navel or cartilage piercing. Doing both at once is pretty easy. I'd recommend it being done with a needle as well (I hate piercing guns, if you can't tell!) because there's less trauma, less chance of infection, the jewellery can be delicate and pretty too, it does cost more but its definitely worth it.

Thank you San!!!!This is such valuable information for me. YOu have no idea. 14.gif

I won't do the belly button or the upper ear. 

I am worrit about the Mall using guns on her lobe.  I have NO idea however, maybe they use needles. I guess i should call first. It is one of those girly girl places, Claires?

What if they DO use guns, should I find another place?

I have terrible horrible memories of guns on my ears, oh so many moons ago. I have the coolest earrings possible that i can never wear. They are from Bolivia, Chile and made from Nickel. My ear always festers unless I wear silver or gold or titanium.

The issue with the hair is that she has very textured hair and it is currently being permed and dying is not recommened, I thought.

But the hairdresser just told me that after a week it is fine. And only the ends.

I am such an idiot. Months ago she asked to dye her hair in the bathroom with her friend. I am visualizing the packets of hair dye from Rite Aide.

I had NO IDEA YOU BLEACH FIRST.   They only did a small bit, and she never put on the dye. They bleached part looked great. But the hairdresser was furious.

My naval piercing (curved barbell) took almost 6 months to heal, and that is with salt water solution. It is a piercing that is now the easiest to keep clean, maintain, and switch out jewelry; however it is the longest piercing I have ever had heal.

So if your daughter really wants this piercing, she will have to be diligent on cleaning during the summer. And I would tell her to not expect it to heal until after the summer (and after bikini weather). That might help her decide to wait a bit longer to get it, at least until next year mom (;

Thank You Sloane!!!  This just puts the cap on the bottle. No Belly Button Piercing Until Further Notice.....

I'm fine with my child getting regular ear piercing.

Honestly, I think she is a bit too young for any other type of piercing. And I would forbid it. I think her father would as well.

I don't have money for tattoos. Maybe her father does. And they are both so "hollywood" I bet 2 cents they would go to High Voltage Tattoo (Kat Von D's) place. They are very strict on the receiver being 18.

db

Mum always said no piercings, just one in each ear lobe. She never even had a good reason, just no. I don't ever remember being mad about it because I was living at home and at home parents make the rules. If I moved out then I would make the rules. After I did move out I got a navel piercing, nose piercing and a tattoo. Mum didn't really care. I don't do things out of rebellion I do them because it's something I like for one reason or another. So we never really had friction about things like this. 

If I was a parent I'd say no tattoos but piercings are fine because they are not permanent should the kid decide later they don't like the appearance. Of course if they didn't care for what is essentially an open wound they would have to take it out and would not be allowed to get any more. I agree with some of the comments I definitely don't attach a child's behavior to their parents. I know some lovely kids with terrible parents and some amazing parents with nightmares for kids.