post-14189-0-77279400-1397892977_thumb.jWhy didn't any of you tell me about this??

;-)

Wow. ok. So a year or two ago I took Seroquel XR and it didn't make me drowsy in the least bit. I wondered what all the fuss was about. I couldn't afford it though so I went on something else.... all this time later, now this new pdoc I have has put me on the generic, quetiapine or whatever, non-xr, and holy crap I had no idea I'd be this sleepy. I'm like a zombie when my mate tries to wake me up in the morning. My face is all scrunchy and I am confused and feel.... drunk kind of. I wander and stagger around for a bit and sit and drink a cup o' joe while I wait for my turn on the treadmill - oh yeah, let me tell you about treadmilling while on seroquel... after only 4 hours of sleep (I work 4pm-12midnight and the mate wakes me up at 4am then I nap later in the day)... I imagine Frankenstein running with his arms out, looking for brains to eat.

I've read so many threads about this sedation effect this med has but never experienced it so I couldn't really identify. Now I know!! lol... just wanted to share my story. 

Already sleepy person by nature + seroquel = No.

But I hope it begins to help. The doc said its good for bipolar depression AND mania. I am coming slowly out of a mild mixed state that began as depression only. So we'll see how it goes. I'll give it a chance even if it makes me terribly somnolent, (is that a word?) just to get my life back!

The sedation wears off as the day goes on but I still feel a little goofy on it.

Is your pdoc talking about increasing the dose?  Because (1) for most people the sedation decreases as you go up, and (2) based on the reading I've done, the impact on bipolar mood states only really kicks in between 400mg and 800mg. It's a pity that the XR is so expensive.  In my case the IR alone never really did the trick, and for a long while I was taking 1,000mg a day.  When my pdoc switched me to the XR, things changed radically, so I just grit my teeth and cough up the horrendous monthly co-payment.

The doc said its good for bipolar depression AND mania.

I believe it does far better with BP depression than it does mania.  In fact, all the other meds I'm on are predominantly there to deal with the fact that the Seroquel doesn't curb my wild upswings and agitation in the same way that it works on my depressive states.

Hang in there - I hope it proves worthwhile for you!

Edited by miab

I definitely found the IR version to be much more sedating than the XR version. I see in your signature that you are on 150mg. When I was on a dose similar to that I was totally wiped out, dizzy, weak, slept around the clock.

So hopefully as your body adjusts to it and your dose increases you will find it therapeutic. 

Your pdoc is right, it is good for bipolar depression and mania (at a higher dose). It has been a great medication for me and I hope you will feel the benefits of it soon

What time are you taking the slurroquel?

If you take it when you get done with work and then get woken up at 4am, I can only imagine the horrendous sluggishness you're feeling.

Pdoc plans on weaning me off of the Abilify and then increasing the seroquel dose to something therapeutic. He didn't want me to be on too high of a dose while still taking the Abilify. I see him in a month and we'll go from there...

Yeah I take my slurroquel at midnight when I get home from work. pdoc says take it at night. I don't want to take it before that, in case it makes me sedated that I can't drive or ride my bicycle home properly.. that'd be a bad scene. So taking it at midnight is my only option. 

No my gf insists upon us waking at 4 am, sometimes 5am, to treadmill/ work out. I've argued before and its just not worth it, she wins. 

It's your body, your mind and your life, You do not have to do what your GF tells you to do. Getting up to workout at 4 or 5am when you're taking Seroquel is crazy, Surely she cares about you enough to allow you make your own decisions? 

No my gf insists upon us waking at 4 am, sometimes 5am, to treadmill/ work out. I've argued before and its just not worth it, she wins.

.... If I worked 4pm to midnight and my gf tried to wake me up at 4am to workout id say no way. If she couldn't except that I leave... Whatever works for you I guess.

Sometimes I feel like Seroquel IR and XR are just two different drugs, entirely. XR feels so much different than the IR for me.

For those with a high copay, head to SeroquelXR.com and download the $25/a month copay card. Its not "cheap" but it beats the hell out of my $89/a month copay without it.

I found the IR stuff to be super sedating as well when I first started it.  That went away when I was on higher doses though.  I was taking 1,000mg of it at one point.  I also gained weight on it, which sucked.  It wasn't strong enough for my psychosis either, but I've heard that it's a pretty effective med for bipolar disorder.  Good luck to you. x

for me personally timing is what matters most with "slurroquel," as wooster calls it. if i were taking it at 12 and getting up at 4 then i would be in full zombie mode (actually, don't think i would be able to pry myself from the mattress).

I agree that it is nuts to get up at 4 am when you are taking Quel after midnight??

that is just crazy and impossible

I take my Seroquel before 8 pm to get up at 7 or 8 am

it is necessary to have plenty of time to sleep on Seroquel

your mental stability is more imporant than girlfriend's desire to have you as a work out companion

and people with mental illness NEED their sleep for their brain to....to get rest

that is the only way to become stable

girlfriend needs some education into mental illness

send her to NAMI

Hello, I have a question for seroquel and I avoid opening a new thread. I have occasionally used 25mg for sleep and it really helps me, more than 10mg of zolpidem, although I feel slow the next day, but I have never woke up before 7 a.m. with seroquel. The question is: if I start using seroquel 25mg for sleep daily, I will get used to the dose of 25mg, it will not put me to sleep and I will need to increase it? I am asking because I don't feel more hungry with the 25mg and I predict that my weight will not increase at 25mg, thanks.

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifdeadrabbit.jpgWhy didn't any of you tell me about this??

;-)

Wow. ok. So a year or two ago I took Seroquel XR and it didn't make me drowsy in the least bit. I wondered what all the fuss was about. I couldn't afford it though so I went on something else.... all this time later, now this new pdoc I have has put me on the generic, quetiapine or whatever, non-xr, and holy crap I had no idea I'd be this sleepy. I'm like a zombie when my mate tries to wake me up in the morning. My face is all scrunchy and I am confused and feel.... drunk kind of. I wander and stagger around for a bit and sit and drink a cup o' joe while I wait for my turn on the treadmill - oh yeah, let me tell you about treadmilling while on seroquel... after only 4 hours of sleep (I work 4pm-12midnight and the mate wakes me up at 4am then I nap later in the day)... I imagine Frankenstein running with his arms out, looking for brains to eat.

I've read so many threads about this sedation effect this med has but never experienced it so I couldn't really identify. Now I know!! lol... just wanted to share my story. 

Already sleepy person by nature + seroquel = No.

But I hope it begins to help. The doc said its good for bipolar depression AND mania. I am coming slowly out of a mild mixed state that began as depression only. So we'll see how it goes. I'll give it a chance even if it makes me terribly somnolent, (is that a word?) just to get my life back!

The sedation wears off as the day goes on but I still feel a little goofy on it.

I was also on the generic Serequil XR.  I wanted to sleep all the time and my junk food cravings went through the roof!  I would get up in the middle of the night and gorge.  After my presciption ran out I chose not to renew it.  I now take Lithium, Zoloft, Trazadone, and Atarax.  It seems to be working much better than the Seroquel and Zoloft I was on before.  And eventually if you continue to take the Seroquel every night you will become use to it and it will not help with sleep anymore. 

Well he moved me recently to 300mg but before I could take it for longer than 4 days, my gf's parents came into town. I decided to stop taking it for a few days just while they were here. I've forgotten that I had a personality!! I was not irritible, I was jovial, I had fun, I was funny, people (her family) loved me, I was a hit. 

But.. then I started getting sick in the evenings at work and had to leave early a few days in a row due to extreme nausea and vomiting. So I denied at first that it was withdrawal because I didn't want to have to take it again until they left (they were here for 6 days) but finally on their 5th day here I took 100mg around 9pm and woke up ok the next day. I had no troubles with vomiting after that, and then last night at 9pm I also took 100mg. It made an immediate difference though in my demeanor. My personality was gone and my irritability was back full swing, even on 100mg. 

I decided I am going to start taking the 300mg again, and at my next appointment with the pdoc in late July (he is on vacation until then) If it hasn't gotten any better, I will ask for something else. Not having a personality, and being extremely irritable is not fun at all. For me or my gal. So.. what do you think?