CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
water

semi-synthetic organism

Wow, that's cool!

But what does it mean pooh?

I found this explanation:

They used unnatural(man-made) base pairs and were able to have the cell's machinery incorporate them into replicating plasmids (small circular pieces of DNA). They did not create life. The incorportaed base pairs, while transcribed, were not translated (used to code for a protein, which is on of the primary reasons for a given nucleotide sequence. In my interpretation, what they have shown is that it is conceivable that life could arise elsewhere in the universe using different purines and pyrimidines than the A/t and C/G pairs we are used to here on earth.

In the past, other unnatural bases (nucleoside analogues) have been used to treat cancer, HIV and Hepatitis B with varying degrees of success. However, in their case, they were meant to terminate a nascent chain using merely a hydrogen atom instead of an hydroxyl group (Oxygen and Hydrogen) which is necessary for chain elongation.

Wow, that's cool!

I don't know what it means, but it would be nice if they could create an intelligent being.

Wow, that's cool!

I don't know what it means, but it would be nice if they could create an intelligent being.

really? I am not sure how I feel about that. it just seems, a bit, creepy?

Why do you find that creepy? Wouldn't it be cool to have a whole new species originated by humans? 

Why do you find that creepy? Wouldn't it be cool to have a whole new species originated by humans? 

well...no

I guess I think humans have too much, ummm, evil(?) to want them to create another species.

I would LOVE to for humans to find another species on another planet. that would be way cool.

Given that humans have never recognized the full rights of another species, would we be justified in making slaves of a species we found on another planet? 

It can be argued that horses were at one time slaves. What if we created a species in the laboratory whose sole purpose were to be slaves?

What if we created a species in the lab whose whole purpose were to be soldiers?

I mean, the possibilities are endless.

I'd be afraid of what we'd do to a novel species. Our track record with other ones and our own sucks.

this creeps me out also it creeps me out alot

correct me if im wrong but i allways thought the word synthetic meant man made

man made lifeform?

i dont bel ieve in that,i dont want to get too religous i dont consider myself super religous,but this seems to fall whell into the realm of man playing god and man pretending to be god

something has to be sacred if nothings sacred forget it,it may be only a matter of time before human beings destroy them selves ,but i think this search for a matierial root of all life or whatever it is has the potential to accelerate our self destruction even more than the other great scientific achievment of splitting the atom,i dont know thats just me

this creeps me out also it creeps me out alot

correct me if im wrong but i allways thought the word synthetic meant man made

man made lifeform?

i dont bel ieve in that,i dont want to get too religous i dont consider myself super religous,but this seems to fall whell into the realm of man playing god and man pretending to be god

something has to be sacred if nothings sacred forget it,it may be only a matter of time before human beings destroy them selves ,but i think this search for a matierial root of all life or whatever it is has the potential to accelerate our self destruction even more than the other great scientific achievment of splitting the atom,i dont know thats just me

Would it be a bad thing if humans created a superior species that supplanted us?

Would it be a bad thing if humans created a superior species that supplanted us?

This is exactly what freaks me out I think.

YOu hit the nail on the species head.

Given that humans have never recognized the full rights of another species, would we be justified in making slaves of a species we found on another planet? 

Um, no. Any more than we were justified in enslaving our own species' members.

What if we created a species in the lab whose whole purpose were to be soldiers?

They'd turn on us, methinks. The optimal survival decision is to avoid battle, I suspect an intelligent soldier-species would stop fighting each other and fight us instead. Better stick with robots.

We'll make great pets?

Um, no. Any more than we were justified in enslaving our own species' members.

What possible moral precedent do you have for making that statement?

See, I don't understand why that freaks you out. If a species is superior, then it's superior. We've had our time in the sun.

They'd turn on us, methinks. The optimal survival decision is to avoid battle, I suspect an intelligent soldier-species would stop fighting each other and fight us instead. Better stick with robots.

We'll make great pets?

I think this was done on the Outer Limits. 

See, I don't understand why that freaks you out. If a species is superior, then it's superior. We've had our time in the sun.

the problem is with the word superior.

we are not superior in my view to any animal.

yeah, we can use our thumbs and our brains are bigger, but whales may be  more intelligent and we dont' even bother to find that out before we slaughter the whole species.

So it's as if a hellish insect created another species of even more hellishable insects.

We've had our time in the sun.

I do agree with this statement, wholeheartedly.

we are ruining our plaent right now. 

My 7th grade teacher many decades ago  told us that "the greenhouse gas effect" was already irreversible.

Now, the president says, "ok, let's do something!"

It's too late.

Edited by water

This is a GREAT topic. It raises a lot of interesting philosophical questions.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with pursuing knowledge even if that knowledge is creating other species. The only debatable part is how that knowledge would be used. I do not agree that the possibility that it can be misused should be a justification for remaining ignorant, however.