CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
MiaB

Please read this if you are here on behalf of a friend or loved one

The rules of CrazyBoards state that we're a first person site, and this is a very important part of the support we offer.   Even if you have your own mental health issues, it's still not acceptable here to ask for information on how to manage, diagnose or treat another person's mental illness.  If they have questions, they are welcome to join CrazyBoards and ask for themselves.

If you have a friend or loved one who is experiencing mental health problems and you either want to know how to help or how to cope, we suggest you try the resources on the National Alliance on Mental Illness site (http://www.nami.org).  This contains information on education and support and has a number of discussion groups.

If you are outside the US, the huge variety of international support for friends and family of mentally ill persons includes the following pages:

Canadian Mental Health Association

Rethink Mental Illness (UK)

Mind (UK)

SANE (Australia)

South African Depression & Anxiety Group

These are, of course, just a very small sample of the sources of help that are available online.

• Like 1

That is unfortunate that you are not allowed to seek advice for your child.  I don't want her reaching out on her own since she is a child and feeling a bit unsure of how much on line information to have her personally put out there.  it has been a long and hard road for her.

bangkok6, there are loads of places, see above, that you can seek information on her behalf.

Part of what makes our site unique is that we are a first-person site, by nutjobs for nutjobs. A big part of what makes our site work is that we are all here, sharing our first hand experiences. It tends to make this a "safe space" to bring up topics that are difficult to discuss with people do don't share our concerns in the same way.

There is a saying in the mental health recovery movement: "Nothing about me without me." People with mental illnesses sometimes face discrimination, stigma, and paternalistic treatment from their families, care providers, and society at large. Part of how we address that concern is to ask people to respect that we are a first-person site only.

While I understand your concerns for privacy on behalf of your child, it seems that's really more of a internet safety discussion for the two of you to have.

There are also some really good parent support communities out there. We just aren't one of them, for the reasons state above.

Thank you for the information.

Anyone have an idea if any of those sites are like CB? I've visited a few other sites about MI and hated all of them- people just didn't seem real, or warm, or knowledgable. And I couldn't fucking swear.

Also would really like a site geared like CB is for and by the crazies- I am totally behind the idea of "nothing about me without me", but a huge source of my struggles as a person with severe MI has been dealing with my husband who also has a severe MI. We're like a game of fucking pingpong, triggering each other's Sx back and forth.

I'm drowning.

• Like 1

Dedoubt, you are welcome to post a topic in the relationship section about how you can cope with your husband's symptoms and the relationship.  What we don't want is people asking about what treatment would be good for other people, or questions that that person should be asking for themselves.  Writing about your experience in the relationship and asking for help is okay.