CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Velvet Elvis

Ultram / Tramadol and OCD

Hey all.

I injured my back recently after having it give me milder problems for quite a while before that.  I'm going to try to get in to see an MD but the issue is pain meds.  I hate opiates because they make me foggy headed and itch like crazy.  I'm interested in taking Ultram because it lacks the cognitive side effects but it can be dangerous to take with a high dose SSRIs because it's a 5-HT2C  antagonist.  Interestingly enough though, there is some evidence that it on its own can be quite helpful for people with OCD.  Since I'd quite likely have to reduce my SSRI dose if I were to take Ultram for pain, I'm curious of anyone else with OCD has taken it and noticed any positive effects?

Hi velvet Elvis... I actually got addicted to Ultram becuase of my OCD.. The ultram made me "high" all the time and very compulsive.. I found it more addicting then any of the opiates. ALso wach out if they give you Lomotil( Diphenoxylate/atropine.. it's an antidiarheal but can cause a " high" in some folks with MI) The withdrawals from the Ultram/tramadol were so severe I had to go to the ER and get a sedative.. HORRIBLE symptoms.. Like seizures,hot/cold flashes,severe diarhea,muscle cramps,severe depression.. PLEASE , PLEASE AVOID! My docs will even admit tramadol/ultram SHOULD be classed  narcotic. Ketorolac works good ( brand name TORADOL but not tramadol.. it's  a very strong anti inflamatory but has always worked for me.. even after surgery). I hope I caught you in time.. I would hate for someone else to go through the HELL I went through with that pill :(

Hi velvet Elvis... I actually got addicted to Ultram becuase of my OCD.. The ultram made me "high" all the time and very compulsive.. I found it more addicting then any of the opiates. ALso wach out if they give you Lomotil( Diphenoxylate/atropine.. it's an antidiarheal but can cause a " high" in some folks with MI) The withdrawals from the Ultram/tramadol were so severe I had to go to the ER and get a sedative.. HORRIBLE symptoms.. Like seizures,hot/cold flashes,severe diarhea,muscle cramps,severe depression.. PLEASE , PLEASE AVOID! My docs will even admit tramadol/ultram SHOULD be classed  narcotic. Ketorolac works good ( brand name TORADOL but not tramadol.. it's  a very strong anti inflamatory but has always worked for me.. even after surgery). I hope I caught you in time.. I would hate for someone else to go through the HELL I went through with that pill :(

Hey, thanks for the comment.

I've been down the addiction road a few times before and it's not a place I'd rather go again but am willing to if I have to

From what I was reading it's only addictive at higher doses?  How much were you taking and for how long?

I'm already taking the max dose of sodium naproxin recommended at even the prescription dose and it's not doing squat.  From what I just read, Toradal is recommended for no more than 5 days use and treatment needs to be initiated with an injection.

I've got the feeling that I'm going to end up needing to be on a pain killer for a while while likely doing PT as well.  

I just got insurance via the ACA and it looks like my coverage network is kinda shitty.  I've not been able to find anyone I can get in to see within the next month and if this is still bothering me a month from now it will mean that I've seriously fucked up my back and need something I can take long term, has few cognitive side effects, and low risk of addiction.  Tramadol looked like the best option.  

I'm addicted to colanzapm and simply accepted addiction as a necessary part of feeling better.  I've gone through withdrawls from it and other benzos a few different times.  I was hooked on crack and managed to get off that.  I've gone through harsh alcohol DTs a few times.  Nicotine was likely the hardest.   I know the drill.  If it's what I need to subject myself to in order to be able to stand up long enough to take a shower or go grocery shopping,  I'll accept the risk though such would not be my first choice.  

With an addiction history like mine nobody is going to give me strong opiates anyway and I don't want to take anything with Tylanol in it because I've likely done a number on my liver already with booze and am on Wellbutrin which is pretty hard on it as well.  That doesn't leave me a ton of options.  

Maybe I should move this to the chronic pain forum.  When I posted I was strictly interested in if it might be an OK temporary replacement for Luvox since I wouldn't be able to take both at the same time.   

I don't know about OCD but I do take tramadol and it works well for me. Much better than hydrocodone or Vicodin. I don't know about taking it with high dose SSRIs but I can take it with up to 60 mg of Celexa. It's the only pain med I can take with my heart. I only take about 150 mg per day but when things got bad, I could take up to 300 mg. I have had no problems with feeling high from it nor have I had issues with addiction to it. Tylenol can be taken safely with it and will make it work better if your pain is severe.

Fwiw, I have liver issues and ckd and my doctor at the pain clinic said I can take tylenol in small amounts for up to six weeks every three months.

Edited by MrTastybutt

I took Ultram or Tramadol when I ruptured discs in my neck along with amitriptyline. I found them effective, but only with back or neck pain. I did not find them addictive in any way.

The amitriptyline helped me sleep and I have considered asking for it again, just for that reason.

Good luck!

I found tramadol greatly reduced my OCD when both manic and depressed. When episodes used to get a bit rough it would take me about an hour each time I wanted to lay down in my bed. My germophobic/numeracy related OCDs when manic always made me late for things because the routines were repetitive and so so loooong lol Tramadol around the 250mg range shrinks the time and the counts in my head that I'm usually doing RAPID for me that 250mg dose will kill the worst, most time consuming parts of the OCD for about 3-4 days.

Doctor says I may have a rapid cycling version of bipolar given my age and how long I've had it for, so lately bad manic phases are not lasting more than 5-6-7 days for me since around September 2016.  For me 2 lots of 250mg ( total 500mg ) taken in a 3-4 hour time frame will kill it for anything up to a fortnight for me. 

For my current condition Tramadol has been like having a TACTICAL NUKE in my spiritual armoury LOL Its a bit tragic I discovered it so late. But better late than never you know that ! XD

I remember having genuine opiates in the past (oramorph, percocet,  heroin) and all not having any real effect on my mental wellness one way of the other or that I could remember noticing anyway; I remember just feeling high sicky and smacked up like it makes you feel and I think my depression would feel worse in the long run. Opiates detached me like they are supposed to, but thank God in a way I could never take to...

Maybe because Tramadol Hydrochloride is a synthetic drug it has such a different effect on me maybe? Tramadol is nothing at all like the traditional opiate based meds so I'm told (?) it just shares and mimics a few of its actions, the rest of its mechanisms are a bit of a mystery I think. I did read that the people who made it don't really understand how it all works lol

As a med for pain management however Tramadol for me is a bit ineffective even when taken with zero tolerance. Aspirin for me works much better for shin splints, toothaches and headaches. Weird man..lol