Risperdal, what are you taking it for and how much?

I am curious as to everyone's experience with this med. Around what dosage did you start to feel better? Since I am sensitive to it we started at 0.5 increments and ended up at 2mg, which helps with mental clarity.

Why are you on it and how much do you currently take? I notice it's used form everything from psychosis to depression to OCD and even autism spectrum disorders (interesting).

-thanks

I just started it a few days ago. I started at .25mg and am moving to .5mg tomorrow. 

Since I just started it and am at a low dose, I haven't experienced any benefits from it. 

I'm taking it for psychotic thoughts. 

That's a very low dose. For me it helped even at the initial .5 I was put on. I did the .25 thing too (0.25 twice a day to start). I started to feel relief after the first day, the doctor explained it was the serotonergic effects of the risperidone interacting with the other meds.

I took it for schizophrenia. If I recall correctly it was ten mg at the highest. I discontinued and then it didn't work and my prolactin increased when I tried to go back to it. It might've been twelve mg. but I started at two mg.

Edit: I forgot the when did I start feeling better part. I did felt fine at that maximum for me dosage, which is, in large part, why I discontinued. So prolly around ten mg , let's say, it worked too well, in a sense, and then never again without unbearable side effects. I'm glad it's working well for you!

Edited by mellifluous

I took up to 4 mg as an adjunct to ADs for depression. I didn't see any greater benefit after 2 mg though. Like melli, I went off it for a couple of years then it didn't work for me when I tried it again - not even at 4 mg.

I take it for psychotic symptoms (thought broadcasting and paranoid thoughts). I was really resistant to taking it, and then, once I started taking it, I didn't always take the full dose as prescribed... but once I started taking the full 4mg as prescribed by my psychiatrist, my symptoms got so much better. I didn't even notice it for the longest time, but one day I just realized that my symptoms were so much more manageable.

I'm afraid I may have to stop taking it, though, as I'm worried it's affecting my prolactin levels. I'm hoping I'm wrong about that, though, because my current medication regimen has been really good for me.

I, as well, am on 4mg of risperidone for psychosis, mixed and manic episodes, anxiety, irritability, anger and aggression. 

The medication really didn't do much at the lower doses but between 3mg and 4mg it was like night and day. The medication is seriously a wonder.

But watch out... it can seriously cause weight gain if you're not careful. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night and drinking a half gallon of apple juice. Not good. Super sugar cravings, at least for me.

I took it for psychosis.  4 mg.  I experienced sexual side effects and weight gain on this.  The weight gain was mild but the sexual side effects were not.  It was effective as an antipsychotic, though.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks again for everybody replies, I could never tell why they kept giving me this med (this is my 3rd trial of risperidone (4th trial if you count the time where I took it for 3 days). this is the best run with it by far.... for whatever reason now it helps with mental clarity , reduces nonsensical anxious or paranoid thoughts "OCD ruminations" or whatever they are called.

• 4 years later...

I took risperidone 2 mg for delusions, and I think I had mild psychosis. It worked immediately after I took it. After 1 month I realized that I was no longer delusional. After less than a year, I was completely healthy. My doctor says that I don't need risperidone anymore and I don't have any mental problems anymore. The only side effect I had was sexual dysfunction.