CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Outinspace

Struggle to get out of the house on time

I guess this is for all the checkers out there. How long does it take for you to leave the house to go to work? After I'm eat, shower and ready to go it can take anywhere from 15-30 for me to MAKE SURE all doors are locked and everything unplugged that might cause a fire. Saddest thing is I know I've checked everything but ONE LAST SWEEP of the house won't hurt. I have to wake up at least 30 minutes early to give myself enough time to check. It drives me nuts. Now summer and the heat is coming around I usually pack my trunk with anything I think may cause a fire. This is so frustrating. Anybody else?

I'm sorry.  That sounds very frustrating.  I'm more on the Pure O side of OCD, but also have compulsions and know how maddening they can be.

Are you seeing a psychiatrist and/or a therapist?  Therapy is good for dealing with those thoughts.

I can't find a psychiatrist that " gets " me. I have an appt. next week with someone new. I got a lot running around upstairs and pray I can just get back to my baseline. I've been through a ton in my life and finally realized that I've lost my mind. Thanks for asking

I hope you are able to find someone who has extra training in treating OCD. There really is good, effective help out there.

Therapists are more likely to have the opportunity to specialize than psychiatrists, at least in the US.

You might want to check out exposure and response prevention therapy. Done with a professional, the rates of reducing OCD compulsive behaviors are actually pretty significant.

Please don't try to do it on your own, though, because it's easy to get messed up and actually make your obsessions and compulsions worse.

I'm not a checker myself, but some of my compulsions make it take longer for me to get ready in the morning. It used to be really bad when I was a kid -- it would take me so much longer than my sisters to get ready for school in the mornings. My mother would yell at me, but I couldn't explain to her what I was doing or why it was taking me so long.

Anyway, I relate. It's a really frustrating experience, and one that I really empathize with you on. I hope your new psychiatrist is a good fit and is able to help you with this.

Unfortunately, I've always been night owl so mornings are tough and I'm always running late and have depended on a ride always so I would typically have about 5 minutes for checking. But the anxiety stays with me for the better part of the morning because I was sure that something was plugged in, stove was on or something was unlocked. However at night it would take around 15 minutes - 1 hour to get to bed and I'd sometimes wake up after falling asleep to check. Still do sometimes but I have been able to get the checking under control somewhat (other compulsions - not so much). 

I also think it would be great to see a therapist for it as they might focus more on the therapy than a psychiatrist would. But I hope the new psychiatrist helps!!

It takes me an extra 15 minutes or so on an easy day. If I have to travel far and I know I won't be home for several hours it takes me much longer. If I go on vacation I need many hours to get ready.Then it is hell.