CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
renee23

Dr says could die but I'm not underweight

I had to abruptly end Intensive Outpatient (previously in partial hospitalization) 3 months ago.  I was doing alright (never underweight, but lost very fast which put strain on my heart), but now ANA is back.  I had an incident this weekend that I purged out of nowhere.  Dr. wanted me to contact him if my weight fell to a certain point, it went under and after the incident I called yesterday.  He called me back and told me I need to seek treatment right away and I could die.  I am not underweight, but I am restricting.  Right now I know this is a problem, but I don't see that it is that serious.  I have no intention of losing more, but I can't get myself to eat more/exercise less.  Many say that I am in denial.  I don't see how I could die if I'm not underweight.

Malnutrition cab affect us regardless of our weight.

Our bodies don't manufacture the nutrients nor minerals that we need to keep things like our heart going. Regardless of weight we can heart attacks of we don't get enough nourishment every single day. And purging depletes those resources even faster. Resources that, from the sounds of it, are not being replenished right now.

When you purge electrolytes can be messed up like potassium, especially, (there are others though), and can affect your heart in a bad way. 

You need to seek treatment right away or you could die?  

that is what your doctor says?

there is nothing to discuss - get some medical care

his statement is very clear

no room for debate

get some medical care now

You don't have to be underweight to have serious medical problems. In the book "Purge" (which can be triggery, but is well written), the author, Nicole, is at a normal weight. http://www.amazon.com/Purge-Rehab-Diaries-Nicole-Johns/dp/1580052746/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1401304883&sr=8-7&keywords=purge

She has major heart problems, and is admitted to an eating disorders centre and slowly recovers, but eating disorders don't recover in 3 months. She deals with it for a long time after.

Enough about the book.

Keep your electrolytes normal with things like gatorade. Try not to purge. And seek medical attention. You're putting a LOT of strain on your heart. And it can kill you. We don't want to see that happen. 

Thank you everyone for the responses.  I can't afford to go back to the treatment center I was at; so, my doctor is researching a closer place to me.  I should have some names and numbers today/tomorrow.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By solidandvoid
      i've been having this thing where my eating disorder and adhd kind of combine forces: i'll take 10mg ritalin LA (+150mg bupropion) in the morning, not feel hungry all day, then when it wears off and i get hungry again i overeat, feel guilty, and struggle not to vom. tbh even if it's a normal amount of food i'll feel bloated and want to vom.
      sometimes i'll try to get myself to eat while the medication's still in effect by smoking weed, but i end up b/ping almost 100% of the time. i'm seeing my psychiatrist soon so i'll discuss this with them, but i'm curious if anyone else has had these experiences.
    • By xanathos
      I don't know why but after not really struggling with binging and purging for several years (9) I seem to be picking it up again. I told my psychiatrist and he recommended a place that has services for people with eating disorders but I feel like they'd not believe me that I have a problem because I'm overweight or they would judge. I'm scared my teeth will be ruined because it's hard not to whenever I binge. Seems like I almost-impulsively plan to binge hours in advance. 
    • By watyousay
      Hey I am new. Long-time eating disorder sufferer. Started with anorexia and morphed into bulimia, then went to drugs, then went back to EDs, then went orthorexic/exercise bulimic. Went to treatment for the second time a couple years ago and have a treatment team. Noticed that once I started working hard on my ED, I was spending like crazy. Also was on Rexulti at that time. Spending comes and goes but gets bad when my eating gets better. Drives me nuts! Brain needs the rush. Feel like I can't escape. I hate spending, but drugs and bulimia seem worse? Anyone else struggle with this?
    • By SimplyLucy
      I know the title sounds a little silly but let me explain (buckle up this is going to be a long one)
      As a person that has struggled with heavy eating disorder tendencies for over 6 years now, you would think that I would have this all figured out by now... But that just isn't the case. It kinda just crept up on me when I was 10 and it never went away. I can't exactly pin how it started or why (otherwise it would be easier to treat it. Go figure) however, I never actively thought, "I want to skip meals and be thin". It just became a habit, one that I just can't break despite my best efforts. Its not that I don't want people to know because I dont want them to stop me, its mostly because I'm ashamed that my life has come to this. I am a very happy person that is friends with everyone and just wants the best for people. I just don't want this to change the way they see me. Such a strong and nice person being controlled by some thing so awful. Besides, there is a lot going on in my home life anyway and I dont want to add this on top of it all.
      I know a lot of people say that "biology eventually rules out" and "you're setting yourself up for a binge the more you don't eat" I wish it were like that for me. I don't even have to think about it and I end up not eating for at least 3 days to sometimes a week at a time. And the few times that I do eat I just end up throwing it up anyway. Everything just feels so dull and repetitive that I don't even notice. I actively try to eat. But I keep falling back into the same behavior I don't want to die but I don't want to keep living this way. What should I do?