CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Light

Holding on? Needing to hold on? Panic attacks?

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before,

I know i had trouble sleeping where i'd wake up in panic ( i got told by the nurse who assessed me it might / is a panic attack - never had a panic attack during sleep in all these years..)

The thing with this- it was like a freak out - i guess a panic but i'd just say 'freak out' and i very clearly remember one huge thing was the feeling of needing to hold on. (mentally and psychically )

It was frightening, i guess you could say i literally felt the need or like i had to hold on ( say my bed just hugging my pillows) and my mind. I still don't know if it was a panic attack - i've had then for years now - i know how my body reacts. I know what symptoms i get.

I've never had that feeling before. Maybe it was part of the feeling like you feel like your going crazy or going to lose it so maybe so a panic attack? I really don't know but it did'nt feel like a P.A..

...Hmm...that sounds familiar, but I can't place it.  Nope, sorry, brain fart. 

I know I have not been able to hold on and lost my shit, but that was a really bad PTSD flashback.  Not thinking you have PTSD(?)

I have something very similar - usually during my anxiety attacks, I need something or someone to hold on to. I can never remember WHY I do, it's not like the world is going to end, it just helps me. I have noticed if I don't have something to hold on to, I will curl into myself - and then sometimes my anxiety attack morphs into a full blown panic attack. I have done this waking up from nightmares, both my boyfriend and dog have been grabbed and woken up in the middle of the night when I have a nightmare. My dog actually seeks me out when I have an anxiety attack, just so I can hold onto her until I get my bearings.

I don't know if any of that helps, but yes, I do understand the feeling. Holding on to something seems to help cement myself a bit.

I don't hold on but whenever I would have a panic attack I would need to be around people and talk (even though I never made sense - I just talked). My idea was that if I dropped dead someone would notice. 

Whenever I experienced disassociation during a panic attack I would touch stuff and look at my arms to sort of 'ground' myself.