CrazyBoards.org

Recently I changed my diet drastically to around 800 calories in hopes to lose weight rather quickly. I know this isn't what people suggest I do - but I'm doing it anyway.

I think this has happened in the past but I never noticed it until now... I think changing my diet so abruptly sends me into mania/hypomania. I have been stable for a couple weeks now and as soon as I changed my diet my sleep changed, my energy changed, many characteristics that suggest I'm headed toward mania are present.

Has anyone else noticed abrupt changes in diet to induce mood shifts?

I think as I am now medicated and I haven't in the past, the mania/hypomania is kept at bay. But still, I notice the symptoms. 

All I'm going to say is, 1200 calories a day is considered the absolute lowest one can go when dieting. If you go lower, your body will think it is starving, and you may actually put on weight (I did when I wasn't eating due to depression). Something to keep in mind. As far as the mania is concerned, I do not know anything about that so will leave that for a more knowlegable (sp) person in that area.

yes, 1200 calories a day is low

800 is starvation

i am not sure about dieting and mood swings

1200 is the lowest allowable calorie intake for women, 1500 for men.

I agree that 800 a day is way too low.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if extreme dieting could trigger mania. Is your doctor aware of the situation? 

I don't know if it's mania exactly, but starvation can alter mood and consciousness. 

Weight lost fast comes back fast.  You're not doing yourself (or your body) any favors.

Maybe the mania triggered the insane diet. It's really a chicken/egg situation. Correlation v Causation.

And 800 cal. is way too little. You're going to feel excessively hungry, and still aren't going to lose weight.

as a former food restricting "dieter" (ahem), i can attest that starvation levels of intake definitely affect mood.  i don't think it ever caused hypomania in me, but if i was on the way there, the episode was much more dramatic (also true for being depressed, anxious, whatever).

i started dieting again a few months ago.  i started off like you, at 900 calories.  NOTHING HAPPENED.  i was not impressed.  i use an app to track my calories and exercise, and at the end of every day it told me in red letters that this was starvation, and weight loss would be much slower or just not happen.

i tried a little experiment that was contrary to all my own foolish ideas about losing weight - i added 300 calories to equal 1200.  within a few weeks the pounds started dropping.  that still causes a lot of cognitive dissonance for me - i can't quite convince myself that this makes sense.  but the scale isn't lying to me.  i really am losing weight at a faster pace now.

i've been nagged so many times that if sleep and food are not right, nothing about my mood will be right.  the older i get the more i understand that this is true.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by lysergia

lysergia speaks the truth.

olga

I have done this in the past and I am convinced the whole "starvation mode" does not apply to me. Surely that is possible, surely it's genetics. The less I eat, the more I lose - especially with consistent exercise.

In the past, say, five times I've done this I lose about 10 lbs initially within a couple days and continue to lose 5-6 lbs each week afterwards. And it takes a long time for the weight to start coming back... usually when I hit a depressive state and stop caring about what I'm eating and my shape... then I can gain the weight back quite quickly.

I've already lost nearly ten pounds from the diet so telling me to eat more is not going to help. I know that's false, at least for me. I know the initial weight is mainly water weight and that's okay. I really only wanted to know if such restriction could cause hypomania that gives considerable energy and loss of appetite to make the dieting possible.

I'm losing weight now quickly because I've gained a bit of weight on Risperdal and my doctor weighs me when I come in every two weeks and I'm sick of him thinking I'm a lard ass.

My main concern in this post is whether you will become manic. I don't think telling anyone to eat more will make much difference. I think you should be open with your doctor about what's happening, because bipolar brain chemistry can easily be set off kilter and restrictive eating/unbalanced nutrition can probably accomplish that. 

eta: It's still possible to become manic and psychotic while on meds (been there, done that). If you're having symptoms, and you've been triggered in this way before, I think it's safe to say this could become an episode pretty quickly.

Edited by hagar

I'm the other way - before I realize I'm in mania, I start dieting and losing weight.  Then a bit later, I say "Oh, hi mania. Nice to see you again."  And then when I start eating tons again, I'm usually going down into a depression. 

I do wonder then which chicken/egg scenario it is...

My main concern in this post is whether you will become manic. I don't think telling anyone to eat more will make much difference. I think you should be open with your doctor about what's happening, because bipolar brain chemistry can easily be set off kilter and restrictive eating/unbalanced nutrition can probably accomplish that. 

eta: It's still possible to become manic and psychotic while on meds (been there, done that). If you're having symptoms, and you've been triggered in this way before, I think it's safe to say this could become an episode pretty quickly.

I have noticed that my level of hypomania is a lot lower than what it normally is when I do this diet. I do wonder how the two are correlated, but I know they are somehow. I've been Bipolar for 10+ years but I've only been medicated since January... for the longest time I refused treatment. So this is the first time I'm on a restrictive diet while also on medication. 

I think I will be open with my doctor, though, about what I wish to do from this point on. I was wondering about Metformin, but I don't think my doctor is really open to that idea as I've brought it up before and because my weight is stable. I do need to talk to him though because I'm on lithium and i do NOT want to become toxic... unless that will help me lose weight. LOL

800 calories is very little, even if sedentary. The following pics show what happened during a starvation experiment during WWII. The participants went from 3200 calories a day to 1560 calories a day, which was maintained for 24 weeks. The participants were so hungry all the time, all they could think about was food. And it did lead to mental problems for some. I believe one participant chopped several of his fingers off.

stacks_image_558.png

stacks_image_536.png

Edited by Flash

I have noticed that my level of hypomania is a lot lower than what it normally is when I do this diet. I do wonder how the two are correlated, but I know they are somehow. I've been Bipolar for 10+ years but I've only been medicated since January... for the longest time I refused treatment. So this is the first time I'm on a restrictive diet while also on medication. 

I think I will be open with my doctor, though, about what I wish to do from this point on. I was wondering about Metformin, but I don't think my doctor is really open to that idea as I've brought it up before and because my weight is stable. I do need to talk to him though because I'm on lithium and i do NOT want to become toxic... unless that will help me lose weight. LOL

No, toxicity is not something you want, trust me! And it's a real possibility if your eating patterns are becoming screwy. Maybe your doctor will take your weight concerns more seriously if he knows the lengths you are going to. 

And, you're right, the hypomania could already be present and causing your drive to lose weight by any means possible. Either way, it could end badly. 

I've lost about 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I watch what I eat (but I get between 1200-1500 calories a day). I do circuit training for 30 minutes a day, treadmill for 25 minutes a day and walk the dog (about 30 minutes a time) 3 times a day. I am on Metaforin, but it is for high blood sugar. I, personally, have not noticed any change in mood.

Edited by AnnaBanana

That's a lot, even if you're significantly overweight.

I'm about 50lbs overweight. I don't remember my BMI right now, but it's in the "obese" range. I have always just responded well to lots of exercise. It's just the way my body works. I will plateau though, then it will be harder. I just got fed up and said enough is enough and now that my blood sugar is under control, I'm finally able to lose weight. Plus I work in a non-air conditioned factory and it gets really hot. I sweat a lot. Probably a lot of water weight, but I'm eating right and doing exercise. I take measurements in 2 weeks, we'll see where and how much it was lost then.  :D 

I'm about 50lbs overweight. I don't remember my BMI right now, but it's in the "obese" range. I have always just responded well to lots of exercise. It's just the way my body works. I will plateau though, then it will be harder. I just got fed up and said enough is enough and now that my blood sugar is under control, I'm finally able to lose weight. Plus I work in a non-air conditioned factory and it gets really hot. I sweat a lot. Probably a lot of water weight, but I'm eating right and doing exercise. I take measurements in 2 weeks, we'll see where and how much it was lost then.  :D

Nice work!  I really admire all the exercise you've been doing.