CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
water

"The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt: Book group for August 10th

I love Donna Tartt - This is her third book, which has received mixed reviews. Her first was my favorite (The Secret History).

I know very little about The Goldfinch except it has a lovely cover and is long so I put the date in early august. Hope that works for everyone who wants to read 'along'. I just started yesterday. (so far so good....)

Pipe in if you finish (stormbeforecalm?).  Depending on my life and the book, I can gobble or savor.

fyi: Psmith in the City is coming to a theatre near you any minute now....

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/71268-psmith-in-the-city-by-pg-wodehouse-book-group-for-july-1/#entry779089

Woohoo! I'm in. I've been wanting to read that book. 

Yay.  3 people.

(We can also play Hearts.)

I am totally going to need until August 10. My concentration is shot, and that is a long book. I never finished her second book before it got appropriated to prop up the air conditioner. 

I am totally going to need until August 10. My concentration is shot, and that is a long book. I never finished her second book before it got appropriated to prop up the air conditioner. 

lol. I didn't think it was THAT long.

We will wait until everyone is done. I promise. with cherries on top.

I just read The Goldfinch-twice, in fact. It was terrific.

I just read The Goldfinch-twice, in fact. It was terrific.

Twice?  Didn't the book just come out.  you must have really loved it.

Did you like her first book?

I did like The Secret History, though I remember basically nothing about it. I read it at a time when my mind was not working very well. Haven't read her second book. It got very mixed reviews.

Holy crap. The audio book is 32 hours long.

I'm in.

:)

Holy crap. The audio book is 32 hours long.

I'm in.

:)

hahaha.  you are just like me.

I LOVE big fat books and big fat audio tapes. like a box of overfed chocolate. 

I hope her reader is good. 

I did like The Secret History, though I remember basically nothing about it. I read it at a time when my mind was not working very well. Haven't read her second book. It got very mixed reviews.

I would read it again. It is really good. I liked the second book too.  I don't read reviews much, depending.  The second book was a bit more disorganized but still excellent.

Donna does people very very well.  And she is good at mixing the mystery with the murder with real life AND with unreal life- like the wealthy and entitled.  Somehow she gets it all in and the novels are not too dense.  

Richard Ford is an excellent writer, in some ways much much better than Tartt, but his books are denser. I have to read the paragraphs over and over.  And not much happens. But since he is a lovely writer, it doesn't matter.

But I what i love about Donna Tartt is that I can read her when I am exhausted.

I read The Goldfinch too! I thought it was very well written and I enjoyed it very much. I haven´t read any of her other books! Thanks for letting me know the titles!

I'm glad to see you all finding pleasure in sharing novels here. I'm reading Gabaldon's "The Fiery Cross" ATM and so will be "otherwise preoccupied" for quite some time, but it's great to know you're here for when I finish up!

I just finished a book called "Middlesex". Seriously one of the best books I have ever read :)

I just finished a book called "Middlesex". Seriously one of the best books I have ever read :)

I LOVED that book. Great awesome book. I still think about it years later. Jeffrey Eugenides?

I'm glad to see you all finding pleasure in sharing novels here. I'm reading Gabaldon's "The Fiery Cross" ATM and so will be "otherwise preoccupied" for quite some time, but it's great to know you're here for when I finish up!

The Fiery Cross!!  I have read/listened to the whole series many many times.  I just got the newest book, and I am so nerdy, I ordered the British version. I like the cover better. 

There is a Gabaldon thread here somewhere.

I am thinking about putting Outlander up for the Book Group.  It would be fun to talk about.

Enjoy!

Yup that´s the guy! I feel like I will be thinking about that book for a long time too. My favorite kind of book :)

I have heard of Outlander..hmm perhaps I should give them a try. What genre does these books belong to?

Yup that´s the guy! I feel like I will be thinking about that book for a long time too. My favorite kind of book :)

I have heard of Outlander..hmm perhaps I should give them a try. What genre does these books belong to?

Historical Fiction with a WONDERFUL romance and a slight bit of umm....fantasy?  Not sure what to call it.

She is an excellent writer, great characters, plot, etc.

And Diana Gabaldon somehow is able to write about sex and make it sexy, she can write about rape and make it awful. Somehow she is able to jump between these lines.  In fact, there is one event in one of the later books I would LOVE to discuss here one day. 

The first book takes place in Scotland.  Outlander.

You will know pretty much from the beginning if you like her work. Do NOT let anyone tell you anything about it. Be surprised.

I was a bad bad reader.

I had to find out what happened to the mother so I did my speedread/skip method. bad water.

Now I have to go back to where the quick trip started, which is fine, fine, superfine anyway. 

I started listening on my bus ride this morning.

Now I'm hooked!

I know you are all ahead of me, so I am going to put this here because I will forget later.

This IS me, as a kid and now:

"I was fascinated by strangers, wanted to know what food they ate and what dishes they ate it from, what movies they watched and what music they listened to, wanted to look under their beds and in their secret drawers and night tables and inside the pockets of their coats. Often I saw interesting looking people on the street and thought about them restlessly for days, imagining their lives making up stories about them.."