CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jmh050107

Best medications for intrusive thoughts?

I second Luvox. Luvox can be very helpful for obsessive and intrusive thoughts. It helped me a lot. I take lexapro now, not as helpful. Combined with therapy, such as CBT, it pretty much eliminated them.

Possibly. It can take several weeks (up to six or eight) for these meds to reach their full effectiveness. Sometimes for some people they work faster, but you really can't say anything until you give them at least six weeks.

ETA: This is true for SSRIs such as Luvox or other ADs.

Edited by jt07

I'm not sure I can live in my own mind for weeks like that. And the waiting is torture while I wait for my psychiatrist appointment...

Maybe you can call and ask to be on a cancellation list for an appointment that is sooner?

low dose anti-psychotics can help as well and they are faster acting.  Your best bet is still going to be an SSRI though.

There is a great book called The Imp of the Mind: Exploring the Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Bad Thoughts. I read it last year when I was going through some truly awful intrusive thoughts. The book was a huge help. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Imp-Mind-Exploring-Obsessive/dp/0452283078

You will get through it. My intrusive thoughts were awful - I felt like I was a murderer/rapist/horrible person. In my case, they were actually being caused by an SSRI. I was on a high dose of Prozac when I started having them. Once I switched from Prozac to Zoloft, they went away.

I was just put on Effexor er. I hope it works. But the worst of it has passed I think. It's been 3 days since I've had an intrusive thought.

I've been on Luvox for the thoughts and it worked for a bit.  I also tried Topomax (which is for seizures) and it worked pretty well.  I went off that though because it was causing distressing memory loss.

I've been on Luvox for the thoughts and it worked for a bit.  I also tried Topomax (which is for seizures) and it worked pretty well.  I went off that though because it was causing distressing memory loss.

You found Topamax to work for OC symptoms? I've been trying to find anecdotal reports on such a thing as this! I've become, well, a little bit obsessed about the possiblity of glutamate-altering drugs such as Topamax alleviating OC symptoms, particularly in people who didn't respond to SSRI's...like myself

If you stopped the Topamax because of the memory-loss, there's other glutamate-altering drugs without such side effects. You could try Lamictal, or Lyrica.

There is a great book called The Imp of the Mind: Exploring the Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Bad Thoughts. I read it last year when I was going through some truly awful intrusive thoughts. The book was a huge help. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Imp-Mind-Exploring-Obsessive/dp/0452283078

You will get through it. My intrusive thoughts were awful - I felt like I was a murderer/rapist/horrible person. In my case, they were actually being caused by an SSRI. I was on a high dose of Prozac when I started having them. Once I switched from Prozac to Zoloft, they went away.

Hey Dream, how do you like Geodon compared to Risperidal? 

I was just put on Effexor er. I hope it works. But the worst of it has passed I think. It's been 3 days since I've had an intrusive thought.

Good luck; if Effexor seems to be taking awhile you could ask for Luvox. It works faster. There's other 2nd and 3rd line treatments after that as well.