CrazyBoards.org

Latuda at 40 mgs is causing severe akathisia. Anyone else have this problem?

I was on Latuda 20 mgs for awhile and it seemed to be alright. I was bumped up to 40 mgs to just help with mood and the dreaded akathisia started. I want to die when it really kicks in. My Nurse Practitioner prescribed Propranolol and it worked for a week at 10 mgs twice a day, until last night I kept moving around so much I wanted to bash my head in a wall. I called her today and she upped it to 20 mgs twice a day. I see her Monday, but I am also for the weekend only taking 20 mgs again with the Latuda. Has anyone else had this experience with Latuda, and does it stop? Or am I, yet again, going to have to find another medication to rely on?

Currently I am on Latuda 40 mgs, Propranolol 20 mgs, Paxil 10 mgs, Buspar 5 mgs.  

Yep, had the same thing.  See my other post just a few minutes ago, in reply to a q about Akathisia.

Exactly the same remedy -- propranolol that stopped working after a week or so.   The only thing that stops it now, when i do get it, is Ativan and sometimes Ativan AND propranalol.

Stopped the Latuda and was in hospital for a while, now they have me on Wellbutrin SR 150 and Trilafon 2mg twice a day.  (Trilafon because I have high blood sugar and the atypicals except Latuda seem to do bad things to my lipids)

Cheers

PS I wanted to stop propranalol anyway, because of the bad long-term side effects.  Ativan for occasional use does not have as many negatives, IMO.

Edited by olorin

I have minor Akathisia with 20 mg. my doctor tried giving me a Cogentin for it but it made my vision horribly blurry. Benadryl helps. He won't put me on another med like Cogentin because in his words he won't treat me like a guinea pig (he knows I've been overly medicated in the past and actually cares) My old psychiatrists would have put me on everything and anything. So my option is to take Benadryl at night before bed (I take Latuda in the morning) or split the 20 mg to a 10 mg and see if I still get Akathisia. I'm trying the Benadryl route tonight. Latuda is the first med I've taken that has lifted the fog, it's excellent.

I am going to have to read up about Propranolol. I haven't yet. Yesterday I only took 20 mgs of Latuda and at bedtime I took Benedryl and Buspar and fell asleep pretty well. I also take Latuda early in the day. Did good last night, fingers crossed I do good again tonight. Geesh @ these meds! I like it too because my mood is good, and I am losing weight. So I want to stay on it. So far I have lost around 16 pounds! Can't say that with Seroquel, Saphris, Zyprexa, ect.

The akathisia for me is the worst in my legs. I started taking two homeopathic things for it. It's really helping. One is PRO Restless Leg by Newton Homeopathics http://www.countrysunshinestore.com/m/item_592/Pro-Restless-Legs.htm and the other is Hylands Restful Legs http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/hyland-restful-legs-50-tablets/sh-1135#.U9KIXGK9KSM

I've also had some problems with akathisia. I currently take propanonal 10mg 2x day. I tried going down on the propanonal but the restlessness came back. I still occasionally have problems with restless legs at night. Benadryl helps me some, although I hate to add in another med.

• 1 year later...

I take Latuda 140mg and have been on that for quite awhile. I love it so I deal with the akathisia. Sadly the restlessness never went away. 

I take Cogentin and it helps a little. I find Latuda sedating so if I take it at night with my other meds. I can usually fall asleep and not suffer too long. For me the restlessness is the worst in my legs and hits it's peak about two hours after I take it. If I'm not alseep, then it is torture some nights.

Latuda had been a lifesaver for me though.

It has cleared my fog and depression unlike any other med I've tried. For me, it's worth it.

Edited by snarkygirl

I had mild akisthisia every time we bumped up my dose, but it would pass after about a week. I think taking the Latuda in the AM is a good idea. Also, there are other meds besides propranolol that help with akisthisia (sorry about my spelling, I'm a little out of it). So you might want to talk to your pnurse about other possibilities.

I had a bit of that problem when my dose was increased but it always went away. I took 140 mg for quite a while. It worked so so. 

I was on it for psychosis mostly. But I became manic while taking it and that hadn't occurred in 2 years thanks to seroquel. I switched off seroquel because of weight issues but boy do I regret that. I'm still paying off debt from the manic episode. So I had to be hospitalized unfortunately after almost 2 years of being hospital free. 

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By shesellsseashells
      I've recently started taking Latuda again, which is one of the few meds that has helped me to feel better in the past.  Unfortunately, it makes my entire body sweat like crazy.  Last summer I was dripping with sweat, showering a couple of times a day and changing clothes multiple times.  Trying to blow dry my hair after I've gotten out of the shower is a joke, and on the rare occasions I try to apply makeup I blast a fan on my face to try to keep it from dripping right off without much success.  I've taken Clonidine and Oxybutynin in the past, both of which can treat excessive sweating, without any luck.  I'm also currently on a low dose of Propranolol.  The sweating is definitely a result of the Latuda and not a hormonal problem.  I have an appointment to see a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks about this, but wondered if anyone here on CB had had success treating excessive sweating.  I've found it helps for me to go into these types of appointments with as much information as I can gather.  Thanks in advance for your help.
    • By Poem
      Greetings,
      So, I found out recently that my diagnosis had changed from Bipolar 1 to Schizoaffective Disorder: Bipolar Type. This diagnoses switch was done 2 YEARS ago and nobody told me. Sure, my Pdoc at the time said it might be a possibility, but I was really upset that no one bothered to clue me in. Anyway. The thing is, I've been shuffled around through so many Pdocs and psychiatric nurse practitioners and I have never told them my whole story. 
      My first ever Pdoc asked if I ever had any psychotic symptoms. I said that I would hear my name being called, and before I could say anything else, they laughed me off saying that everyone experiences that. So, being the shy person I am, I thought that I was being silly and never mentioned it again. My last Pdoc, I tried to be more open with and told them about some hallucinations/paranoid thoughts I had...hence change in diagnosis.
      Now I am with a new provider whom I don't trust at all. They don't seem to know how to manage me at all, and every session seems to be more and more a waste of time. I am currently switching to another provider, but it will take a bit before I can go. I'm a little nervous because I've tried so many anti psychotics, and am currently not taking one. Sorry, the point is I am planning to give my therapist all the details about things that have been going on for years. Stuff I never had the guts to say, because I know they will listen to me. I am just afraid that since I never said anything to my new provider (or even in the past) my future provider might think that I am making it up since I found out about my new diagnosis. Maybe I'm overthinking things. I don't know. But the only people on my support team that I trust are my family and my therapist.
      Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble. I've been in a bad state the last few days and this has been edited and re-edited for your perusal. If there is anyone out there with the same disorder, or just someone with advice, please help me! There is so little info on Schizoaffective disorder, that I would really like to hear from others, maybe hear some coping skills? Everyone is different, but I am open to anything at this moment. Falling asleep last night was hell. My mind was racing all over the place, with layers of thought over layers of thought. I have to sleep with a light now, because shadows will creep the hell out of me. I have poor memory and forget words/mis-say them. My concentration is shot. I lash out in anger and always have this simmering irritability underneath. I'm starting to get the feeling that something is watching me again.
      Help!
      Poem

• By mikl_pls
      Latuda has gone generic, but it's not available in pharmacies yet. Does anyone have any idea when it will be available in pharmacies?
      I'm seriously considering switching to it when I see my pdoc either 2 weeks from now, or, if I can, bump up my appointment to next week, and if it will be available in pharmacies by then, I'd like to be prescribed Latuda. But if it's still brand-name only by then, I can't afford the $636 copay even with the even with the copay coupon which only covers up to only a certain amount.
    • By lisa2712
      Hello,
      For those on Latuda, do you have to take it with a meal consisting of at least 350 calories? I have been told to take Latuda 20 mg after dinner. Taking it in the AM makes me too tired. I read online that one has to have at least 350 calories in their stomach before taking Latuda, or it can cause stomach problems. I'm on a diet, and I usually take about 150-200 or so calories for my dinner. It is my lightest meal of the day. 
      Thank You for Your Advice,
      Lisa2712
    • By lisa2712
      Hi,
      I'm only on my 4th day of taking Latuda 20 mg, and I get very tired about 4 hours after taking it, then I need to sleep. It's hard to do things when I'm always exhausted. I was told by my psychiatrist to take it in the morning after breakfast, so I take it at about 9 am every morning, and by noon or 1 pm I'm exhausted for hours, then sometimes I feel better by 6 pm. I called my psychiatrist and told her about my tiredness, and I'm waiting for them to call me back. I usually avoid coffee because it hurts my stomach, but today I felt like a walking zombie, so I drank 2 cups of coffee and I got my energy back! Yay! Even if it's temporary, it feels good to feel alive again. 
      I also think Latuda increases my social anxiety, which already is very high. Like, I was looking into volunteering at a library, but since going on this medicine I don't feel comfortable being around people. And at DBT group today (it's only my 2nd time in this group), things were different, more subdued. 
      And it's weird, I went into a restaurant today before my tiredness kicked in (at 11 am), and the waitress told me to, "Calm down." I didn't realize I wasn't calm. I was nervous (I'm often nervous walking into a restaurant, especially since I've been on Latuda), but I didn't realize I wasn't acting calm. 

Thank You,
      Lisa2712