CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
LunaRufina

Great Streaming Finds/Suggestions?

So...

We have a Wii.

Hooked up to the Wii are the following: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Youtube. 

I have lists on these things but the majority of the time I still can't figure out what the heck to watch?

I thought it might be fun/interesting/helpful/a time killer if we had a thread about current popular or notable stuff available to stream online/via services.

I'm thinking it would be most helpful to say what the thing is, what service we got it through and if possible around when we knew it was available.

Avoiding spoilers about plot would be good though.

Also helpful: Did it suck? Was it great? Why, whynot?

Obviously, it's the internet.

Do whatever.

So, one thing I have really enjoyed was Tin Man.

It's a miniseries from SyFy with elements based on the basic story line of the story of Oz, etc. with the main characters from the classic novel [not really the famous Judy Garland flick].

I found it really interesting and some of the stuff they did with the characters was unique, but Wizard of Oz it ain't.

I watched it on Netflix numerous times, and it's been available there for a while, but I guess it is also available via amazon [NOT prime, though]- both as of this posting- 07.20.2014.

VISUAL! TA*DA!

MV5BMTMxMTQ4NjU4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA3

Uh. I feeel like I missed something I actually said might be helpful. haha.

I don't know, is this a good thread idea? i tried to find where someone already started one but couldn't... 

I think it's helpful. I have Netflix through the PS3, but that's about it. I like it for the documentaries. But I can't think of any off the top of my head. Just what I mostly use it for.

I've been watching Masters of Sex, about the Masters and Johnson sex study of the 1950s. Entertaining, mesmerizing, sexy. We have cable, but Mike used to download torrents so we could watch whatever we wanted. Don't know if you do that.

I love Once Upon A Time. I think the first year is on Netflix. My girl and hubs watch Orange Is THe New Black. I can't.

Hubs went thru all of Next Generation and the original Star Trek. Also all of Mad Men. then Game of Thrones - but that is HBO Go. YOu can use someone elses login.

I know practically every decent horror movie on Netflix if you are interested. I think they also might have the first season of Survivor, which was probably the best. Also Lost, I loved Lost. hmm....that is all I can think of for now.

I like the Miss Marple, especially the ones starring Joan Hickson. They also have 6 seasons of Hercule Poirot, with David Suchet; to call the show a period piece would not be doing the set designers justice. I really like the characters.

I really like documentaries, too. If you want to get pissed, watch Blackfish, about Tillum, the Orca that killed a trainer in front of bunch of tourists a few years ago. I will never go to a marine park again, and wish I could take back the times I did. Also interesting, because Tillum is clearly mentally ill.

I like the series "Borgia," which is not the one starring Jeremy Irons, but the other one. It's not perfect, but it's a ripping good yarn.

I've tried, and tried, and tried to get into "The Riches" with Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver, but I just can't. All of my friends adore it. It makes me sad, because I love Eddie Izzard.

All the old George Carlin specials.

Oh, and if you want to see a very good but disturbing documentary about a summer indoctrination camp for Fundamentalist Christian children (even the leader of the camp uses the term indoctrination when talking to the documentarians), check out "Bible Camp." At one point, they pray to a George W. Bush cardboard cutout. Seriously.

Another good documentary is "Maxed Out," which is about the credit card debt crisis.

Oh, and I just remembered, if you like Russell Brand (and I know there is a wide divide), he has a youtube series called "The Trewes" where he does political commentary. He might analyze a Fox news report, or bitch about parliament, or do a routine about some political event. I really like to listen to him talk about politics. He's really intelligent, and a motivated auto-didact.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jt07
      What were the worst movies you ever saw? I'll start:
      2001: A Space Odyssey  - Couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes of it
      Eyes Wide Shut  - Just an awful movie
      She's All That   -  A waste of time
    • By Antecedent
      I dreamt there was a forum for mental health and the media but it was only a dream so I am putting this here.

The film was written and directed by the loving daughter of a stay-at-home dad struggling with bipolar in the 70s. In my opinion it manages to be pro-diversity and neither romanticises nor demonizes mental illness. It doesn't really show the depression side of bipolar, but considering it is the memoir of one child in particular (and has that feel to it all the way through) I'm not sure it needs to. There's a really good review of it in Psychology today  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/me-we/201506/infinitely-polar-bear-rare-portrayal-bipolar-disorder

I'd be interested to hear what people here thought of it.

Spoiler alert, read this upside down text if, like many people, you prefer to only watch entertainment with happy endings: buıpuǝ ʎddɐɥ ɐ sɐɥ ʇı '
    • By lodipants
      Just started watching a new TV series called The Black Box about a bipolar world-renowned female neurologist (referred to as the Marco Polo of the brain). She is non-compliant with her medications and other than her psychiatrist and her brother, no one knows she is bipolar, including her boyfriend of one year.

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone's interested. I'm curious to see what anyone else thinks of it.
    • By fantod
      Blurb from tv listings about a new show:

"Dr. Catherine Black reveals to her therapist Dr. Hartramph that she's feeling empowered, unstoppable and at the top of her game. This world-renowned neurologist has a secret that is becoming more and more difficult to control: she's bi-polar."

I missed the pilot tonight; did anyone watch?  What did you think?   
    • By Washington Park Commons
      As some of you have noticed, I am the mistress of Google-Fu. As it happens, I am a mutant, and Google-Fu is my special power. You see, just as Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider, I was infected by a toxic dad who thought women were naturally stupid. His assertion led me to find proofs to refute his position. With the coming of the Internet my powers grew exponentially until I became a veritable ninja of tracking down amazing information.

Since I am more like Wolverine and choose to use my powers for good, instead of being like Magneto and using my powers for evil, I have decided to share the fruits of my mystical powers with everyone. If you too are an X-Person of Google-ific proportions (or just have something you would like to share), please feel free to add to the thread and to spread word of its mighty power. Because the internet is so vast and there are so many distractions, it's easy to not be aware of how many free bits and pieces of info and knowledge are out there. Since may of us are afflicted with illnesses that make it difficult for us to spend a great deal of time around people, maybe it's best we compile a library o'stuff here for everyone, nu? Think of if this as a library for the clinically nuts.

Today's topic: Free books and movies.

Project Gutenberg has free out-of-copyright books in numerous languages on every subject imaginable. You can even download the books to your computer, smartphone or tablet. http://www.gutenberg.org

This is a list of every free book available on Amazon. Yes, Amazon has free books. No, I'm not joking. You can even download a commuter version of the Kindle Reader.
      http://amzn.to/1dLgX9Y

Would you like to watch classic and not-so classic movies, but you can't afford Netflix or Hulu? Then click here.
      http://www.openculture.com/freemoviesonline

Don't be turned off by black and white film. This site will provide you with a great education in them. Maybe you'll even fall in love with movies like White Zombie and The Big Combo.
      http://www.bigfiveglories.com

Now you can finally see Plan 9 From Outer Space or Last Man on Earth. You're welcome.
      http://www.bnwmovies.com