CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jom1987

Ear cleaning/picking

I have an obsession with making sure my ears are clean. I use q-tips at least twice a day, and if they feel dirty while I'm out, I'll use bobby pins. If there are scabs, I'll pick them.

I'm worried about my hearing, and about ear wax being compacted. Does anyone else do this?

I do this. I've had ear problems. I think it's made me more prone to infections. But I can't stop doing it. :(

i had this problem years ago.  one time the wax got so impacted that the pain was excruciating - i cried and cried for hours until a doctor flushed out my ear and showed me what i had managed to shove up against my eardrum.  it was massive and scary and it stopped me from ever doing it again because the pain was just so unforgettable (as was the evidence of what i had done - the blockage was huge).

i hope you can find a way to stop, or decrease how often you're doing this.  i know easier said than done.  but i'd never want you to go through that pain or damage your hearing.  is this something you've discussed with your pdoc?  certain meds are associated with particular "obsessions" for me, so med changes have worked for me in the past.  might not be the solution for you, but it's worth asking about.

I don't have an ocd diagnosis and so if my posting here is out of order I apologise and hope a mod will delete it quickly.

I have actually been considering posting about this in the confession forum though, because I've been wondering about it too. I clean my ears a LOT and constantly wish for new and better ways to do so. I also pick scabs and am equally focused on getting rid of stray bristles. All of the above are things that cause distress when I can't resolve them.

I clean out my ears with my pinky finger. And any scabs on the outside. I feel kinda ashamed admitting it but, for me, I think it's anxiety. You're not alone in this.

I have eczema in my ears so I am always scratching them.  I have found though that I feel comfort when I pick at my ear, even when they aren't itching.  I try not to use q-tips often, but sometimes I do.  I should get my ears flushed sometime.

I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I have a scratching disorder. I scratch my body especially my legs because they feel itchy but I can't stop and end up breaking the skin. I also need to always have my ears clean. I use my nails, qtips, Bobby pins, pen caps, paper clips, and tweezers. First thing when I wake up is I use my nails and if I feel scabs, I use the tweezers, then a paperclip to get deep, a pen cap for edges, and finally I slightly wet the tip of the qtip and roll it in my fingers so that the cotton becomes elongated and can go deeper. 

I went through an OCD nightmare where I feared that I'd somehow get tape worms or some other kind of parasite in my ears, so I'd always run my fingers down the ear canal and pick to make sure there was nothing in them. My ears would get all bloody and scab up. It was awful. :(

Edited by troop111