CrazyBoards.org

nonuser

How did you care for yourself today?

I'm so happy!

After 12 years I finally went to the dentist and got a root canal on an infected tooth. I put it off for so long because I can't open my mouth for very long before I have to throw up - I assume this is a result of my drinking but I don't really know. Because of this I decided I could no longer go to the dentist.

Anyway, I had tons of pain and it finally got infected and my face swelled up and my family made me go get it fixed. What a relief! Not only for getting the tooth fixed but also for facing my fears and getting it done. The form I had to fill out asked if I had any medical conditions that the dentist should know about so I wrote down "Alcoholism". That's the first time I've ever told a medical professional about my drinking. After I handed the form in to the receptionist I had an anxiety attack, my heart was pounding so hard and I was sweating like crazy. I wanted to take the form back and change it but I didn't.

The dentist asked about my drinking because it might affect the anesthetic they gave me and I looked him in the eye and we discussed it - this was fight or flight territory for me.  But everything turned out fine in the end and I'm waiting to get a crown put on. I almost can't wait to go in again and get a cleaning done!

This'll sound stupid but I somehow feel like I'm part of society again in a little way. With my bipolar and drinking I've always felt like a ghost around people, barely interacting and being instantly forgotten when I do. I didn't expect it at all, but this was therapy for me.

grouse

• Like 5

@grousemouse, that’s wonderful. You did great! And it’s so interesting that you feel more part of society, too. I don’t know that I would have thought of it that way, but I know exactly what you mean. 

Posted something

Washed the dishes.

Yelled at twitter. 

Polished off a can of whipping cream.

31 minutes ago, r2mnot said:

Posted something

Washed the dishes.

Yelled at twitter. 

Polished off a can of whipping cream.

Also yelled at twitter. Felt good. 

Also walked over an hour with Abby. 

Saw a friend, did housework, caught up on some online stuff that needed doing.

This was yesterday, but took time out to make a strawberry shortcake from scratch. Whoa it called for a lot of sugar! Came out delicious, I gave some to a friend, then my daughter took even more to her friend’s family, so I didn’t get much 😂 but it felt nice to share some summer joy.