CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
hopeless

how do you know the medications are working?

Yeah idk I've had three pdocs and two GPs call it a crutch.

Does adderall give you motivation? That's what I'm lacking these days when before I would go to work no matter what

FTW? Do they understand what medications are for, exactly? When I took strange antibiotics because I had become septic, was that a crutch, too? So, if it were before that crutch, Penicillin, began to be used more widely, and I had just died, I would have at least shown greater strength of character, right? Idiots.

And how about the old CBs favorite, Insulin? Meds are meds are meds (to butcher Gertrude Stein). They treat things.

I'm actually very disturbed that 3 pdocs would say that to you. Most GPs don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to psychiatry, so that doesn't surprise me.

ETA: I'm on Latuda right now, and really loving it. I use Risperdal for when I get too manic-y, but only for a few months after the episode ends. I have had problems on other AAPs, so don't give up on a class because some don't work.

Edited by crtclms

I would ask if he calls it a crutch because *he* doesn't take psychiatric meds, or whether he mispoke. And yes, I would use the Insulin explanation. And yes, you should be able to be direct with your pdoc. He may not like what you have to say, but you have the absolute right to say it.

I have used Adderall and Vyvanse and feel that they help with my motivation as well as provide an additional "barrier" to the depression.  So my combo looks like:

atypical antipsychotic + AD + mood stabilizer + stimulant + anti anxiety meds.

Like malachite mentioned, there are also "older" anti-depressants you can try.

If you're on an insulin pump, I'm assuming your diabetes is under pretty tight control.  I know my insulin levels affect my moods.

I've been thru six (or seven) ect treatments...bad memory loss. Still more to go. I felt well briefly but back to my depressed self. Not feeling very positive.

I've been thru six (or seven) ect treatments...bad memory loss. Still more to go. I felt well briefly but back to my depressed self. Not feeling very positive.

So sorry to hear that, hopeless :(  How many more until they're finished? Perhaps the benefits are yet to come?

Here's hoping you see some improvement soon.

I'm struggling with this exact question right now. I've tried most antidepressants (Lexapro worked the longest before pooping out) and I've been on Zoloft 200mg for about six weeks and Lithium 900mg for about 2-3 weeks. Over the last week, I've felt *slightly* better. Far from where I want to be, but I'm a bit more functional. My psych last week suggested that I switch from Zoloft to Brintellix and I'm hesitant. Could the Zoloft/Lithium combo have me on an upswing? Again, I feel mild relief but definitely not a "switch" being flipped. Having trouble making the call.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm struggling with this exact question right now. I've tried most antidepressants (Lexapro worked the longest before pooping out) and I've been on Zoloft 200mg for about six weeks and Lithium 900mg for about 2-3 weeks. Over the last week, I've felt *slightly* better. Far from where I want to be, but I'm a bit more functional. My psych last week suggested that I switch from Zoloft to Brintellix and I'm hesitant. Could the Zoloft/Lithium combo have me on an upswing? Again, I feel mild relief but definitely not a "switch" being flipped. Having trouble making the call.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you're not happy with it, try something else, and then when you're done sampling, go back to whichever stuff worked the best.  Brintellix might be a godsend, I don't know, I've never tried it.  But it might be!

I tried a new med for nightmares a few days ago, and I know it is working because I have not had a nightmare since I've started taking it.