CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
hopeless

getting admitted tomorrow

It's totally your choice about ECT. If you are particularly suicidal right now and can't wait for a new med to kick in, it's worth doing. I wish I had tried other classes of ADs before doing it myself.

Waiting to get admitted now. I think I'm gonna go for it. Been too miserable.

Thanks lavendarfairy. I already used up most of my FMLA last year when I was in patient. We do a rolling year. =/ my doctor said she'll have me back at work in three weeks.

Let's hope.

Hoping for you. In response to your questions. I know some weren't guided at me, but I'll give my experience.

Are you done with ALL your ECT procedures or do you have to go back periodically for more treatments ?

I was finished with my treatments in 2008 when I was discharged. Maintenance, once a week or once a month, was brought up but not needed. Some people require maintenance treatments, but it's not too terribly common. Sometimes people need another round, years later, I did not. I found my first and only set of treatments (2 a week x 3 weeks, so 6, alternating unilateral and bilateral) was fine for me. However, I would do it again if I needed.

Not a lot of people require maintenance, or several treatments, but I can't back that up with anything. Just from what I've read.

How do you feel when it comes to anxiety / depression now after ECT ?

My anxiety is weird. It always has been. I find it helped my depression, a lot, it pretty much got rid of depressive episodes, haven't  had a real one (that wasn't related to a life event) since ECT in 2008. My anxiety waxes and wanes, but its not as bad. That could also be from CBT and therapy, though. I was hospitalized in Oct 2013 due to stress from work (12 hour days, 5 days a week, abusive boyfriend, a lot going on), not depression. I was in a mixed episode, and needed a major med overhaul. 

Do you feel like you are cured ?

I feel like a good piece of my MI is gone, that it improved me significantly. 

San,

Thanks for the info., always good to hear it from somebody who personally has been treated to get their take.

FYI - I have found a lot of books both by patients and participating doctors on AMAZON, I think I am going to order a couple since I might have to go the ECT route myself ?

sook

Back home from the hospital today. Had three ECT sessions so far. 9 more to go. I have a slight headache and bit down on my tongue =/

Mood wise I don't see an improvement but other people have said I look better.

First day back at work. Forgetting alot of things like passwords. I still have a couple weeks of ECT left. The days I get it done I've been sleeping a lot.

Feeling better today

Edited by hopeless

That's good you're back at work. I would imagine that forgetting pw's would be an issue. They say you don't see an improvement until the 6th treatment...idk how true that is.

I just had it done for a second time and I don't think it did much for me. Not trying to be discouraging. The first time I had it done was like a miracle.

Best of luck and I hope you get great results.

Glad you're able to work. I wouldn't have been. I was able to start work again after it was over, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it during the treatment. That must take incredible strength.

Sometimes others notice it before you do. I hope you continue to improve. 

First day back at work. Forgetting alot of things like passwords. I still have a couple weeks of ECT left. The days I get it done I've been sleeping a lot.

Feeling better today

do they anticipate you'll work through all of the treatments? that's pretty incredible...i'm super impressed with how well you're managing!

i really hope you find success with it  : )

i did, well, was slated for 3*6 weeks, but i ended up not having one and i couldn't even tell you why. i have zero memory of it and some time preceding. and maybe after. i don't really know. it was....february-early april... i think, of last yea and it took me at least as much time to "recover" sorta, but i had bilateral and i've heard that's a longer timeframe, but i don't really know. i'm told i had a headache and some disorientation by those who saw me at times. but i only had that round/no maintenance treatments and it did "work" (it was to address a feature of this psychotic episode that wouldn't quit and clozaril just ruined me and i was doing graphic things). i would say that the first half maybe (this is memory of being told as i recall nothing) well, i wasn't working beforehand, but i was a lot more "with it" and then maybe it was after week three or something that i just dropped off contact completely and resurfaced a couple of weeks after finishing

for me, though not all have this happen, apparently i wasn't exactly the sharpest tack in the bin for awhile and just kinda sat. when i did talk i repeated myself...a lot. like, the same exact thing. sometimes to the same person every time i'd see him/her, other times in the same conversation, and on occasion it was, like, broken record style. i couldn't tell you the content or the people, but i did that once on chat. well, prolly fifty times, but i have one outline of a memory where i did that and people were, like, yeah. you've mentioned it. five times. in a row. we get it.  : P  but overall i just slept like a champion and didn't do much. i spent time reading my old emails and talking to friends trying to place myself in relation to the content  there're people i met within a month or so before the start date and forgot entirely i had to basically re-meet. that lack of recalling month or so before was not entirely negative though...apparently i tried to spider man out my second story window the night before starting and destroyed my fingertips/nails. i have no memory whatsoever of that. zero. (though, from other's accounts the tensile strength of your fingers on brick, even if a slimmer sort...is not going to work out)

it did what was hoped, though. there was a blip several months later, but i haven't had any orders/"command hallucinations" in.......shit, a whole year, i think. one other thing: i notice i basically say "i don't know" a lot and complain of memory shit in the above. it did wipe a couple of months, no doubt, BUT, i have gotten a LOT better over the past year and ...a half...quarter, whatever. it was a mixed bag, though. i recall a spell of no new memories. and a spell of unable to retrieve simple memories...like, words for objects. the outcome, however, is pretty straightforward: it stopped me acting on command because it destroyed the conduit. and i had no...inhibition/hesitation with following orders. at all. it was escalating and, i mean, i guess... but, that one bit's resolved in a big way.

best wishes with your remaining treatments!

Edited by mellifluous

I've never had ECT, but I wanted to wish you good luck and let you know I've been reading! Good for you for going back to work :)

Thank you for keeping us updated. It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you're hanging in there and hoping it helps and things get better!

Uh oh....did I go back to work too soon? Friday was my first day back. I have been able to manage so far...

This week I have ETC Monday and Wednesday. Planning to work the rest of the days.

Hoping for a miracle. Staying positive.

Uh oh....did I go back to work too soon? Friday was my first day back. I have been able to manage so far...

This week I have ETC Monday and Wednesday. Planning to work the rest of the days.

Hoping for a miracle. Staying positive.

you managed fine, from the sound of it : )  i don't think there's a "too soon" if you're feeling up for it.  you said you nine to go? but, are you doing twice a week? 

what type are you having? if you're not sure, is there stuff on both side of your head, temples ish, or just one? i can only say what i had the bilateral, but i asked my m and he said:

oh, but first, i would say that you'd have to ask your doctor and really...it could just be something you won't know that you can work during week five until you get to week five, you know? i would see if your doctor can give you some idea of whether you'll be able to work the whole time.  

like i said above...there was a point where it kinda all became all i had the energy for i guess. it's weird because i literally have no memory of it, but i just asked my partner and he said weeks four through six were different, and weeks five and six i basically stayed in the hospital the whole time and not much movement even within there, because i was wiped out and either asleep or tired when he'd get over after teaching. i'd be awake for, like, a couple of hours. he'd bring me dinner and we'd sit and he'd rub my head (i had some amount of headachi-ness but not bad headaches at night--which, by night, i mean, like eight PM) and i'd fall asleep. then the off days he felt like i slept just as much, if not sometimes more, delayed reaction-style. so that built and i slept a lot and that's about it. i definitely couldn't've worked when i had mine done. but, i mean...i can't work now, so i'm irrelevant in that respect. unless your doctor says there's no way, i would think that ensuring you have flexibility is key.  you're working now, just ensure that should you not be able to, you're covered. and i think it's ...why not possible? well, why not would be if your doctor says that's inadvisable. but the s/he can maybe you get you out of work free : )

The past two days have been great. I am full of energy. I baked cookies and they didn't turn out well and in my usual depressed state that would have upset me but I did not have a care in the world. friends say I look different and I'm only three treatments in. I feel almost manic. It might be because I'm still on the prozac. Once I'm off that I might be at a normal level.

This feels amazeballs.

Treatment four today. I'm willing to get these for life if it means feeling this great!

I injured my tongue in the last treatment so I told the anesthesiologist about it. This time my tongue was okay but my inside cheek is lacerated.

Treatment four today. I'm willing to get these for life if it means feeling this great!

I injured my tongue in the last treatment so I told the anesthesiologist about it. This time my tongue was okay but my inside cheek is lacerated.

That's awesome you're feeling so great!

Ouch about your tongue. They didn't give you something to bite down on? I found mine (the tongue thing) was rather large so I didn't have any issues with that.