Hi! I am writing on behalf of my son, who is 7 years old. He is currently on Depkoate (500mg) and Seroquel (400mg), along with some other stuff (Tenex, Clondine, supplements). His diagnoses are ever-evolving and changes with each hospitalization, I think. He was placed on the Seroquel during a hospitalization, after having tried Risperdal for 9 months, but continuing to have periodic hallucinations, extremely high anxiety, and high levels of fear, plus akathisia. He reacts very poorly to SSRIs. The Seroquel was magic for him -- his anxiety decreased, he was able to start learning again, and there is even talk about him moving back into public school in a self-contained class with some inclusion. 

However, a couple of weeks ago, he started becoming extremely anxious & fearful again. He was afraid to walk around the house without looking behind all the doors, not being able to be in a room without an adult, locking doors behind him to keep things from getting him, telling a peer that monsters were at his house, etc. We also believe he has been hallucinating again for many reasons, though it can be tricky as he does have a mild to moderate speech-language impairment which can get worse during these times.

Anyways, long story short, we have been giving him his Zyprexa PRN (5mg) daily for one week, and we are definitely beginning to see some improvements. We see his psychiatrist this week. I'm not sure whether to advocate for an increase to his Seroquel, continue to take the Seroquel plus the Zyprexa dose, or whether we should just switch to Zyprexa. I know adult experiences are different from child, but I would love to hear if anyone else has had to switch from Seroquel to Zyprexa, and how that went.

We work really, really hard to keep him from being hospitalized whenever possible because we have had not great experiences in the past, but I find that I have to be really well-informed in order to do that. 

Unfortunately, since this is a first person, peer-support site, we really aren't equipped to answer medication questions for your son. It's just not something we're able to do with any expertise. Generally, a young child is going to respond differently than an adult to the medications you're asking about, and there's no good way to predict that response. Really, you'd be better off looking at any studies that may have been done than asking random internet adults who have taken the same meds.

Please have a look around and feel free to take a look at our parenting board-- many of our members and staff (including me) have children with mental health diagnoses. While we can offer you support while going through all the hoops involved with both being mentally ill and raising a mentally ill child, we're just not able to answer the kinds of questions you're asking.

I'm going to lock this topic.