CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mambo

A blog post about Robin Williams and suicide as a "choice"...Thoughts?

This popped up on my facebook news feed and made me feel...strongly.

I'm wondering if i'm overreacting, so I'd like to hear some of y'all's thoughts on this article.

Is it uplifting? Does it give you hope? Or does it piss you the fuck off?

The title alone shows a clear lack of understanding of MI. So I stopped reading.

If I am under the influence of illness I am presumed to not be thinking clearly. That is the basis for such things as a hold in the ER (where I am it's 72 hours), or involuntary IP. Those laws are based on an understanding that my illness is clouding my sane judgement. 

Saying that suicide is a choice is only correct if the person making that choice is not under the influence of illness at the time. Which is why MI'd folks tend to be exempt from assisted suicide programmes wherever those are created within generally accepted ethical guidelines.

Which means that that article is promoting misunderstandings. At best they will be harmless misunderstandings. Although it's easy to see where those views could become harmful. I know that when I was more openly suicidal I was given such helpful support as "you're not doing a very good job of it" and "so then do it already." So I do not see such misunderstandings as harmless, generally speaking.

Honestly I couldn't get myself to read the whole thing. But this line jumped out at me. "The final refusal to see the worth in anything, or the beauty, or the reason, or the point, or the hope." Many people seem to confuse this refusal with an inability to see those things. I wrote about this elsewhere on the boards and got into a small debate about this point, but I think that when someone is that sick it's not reasonable to think of decisions they are making as rational choices. To a certain extent we all have autonomy. We can choose to go to the hospital, or phone a friend, or redirect in some way. At the same time, my own experiences with suicidal impulses suggests that it washes over you and incapacitates you, and blocks out most other things. I don't know. It's confusing, this balance between choice and not choice. But it's always clear to me that people who make this uncomplicated choice argument and blame people for making that choice have never been staring down those impulses, out of their heads and emotionally out of control, trying to figure out how to make the bad feeling stop.

I stopped reading when he described depression as a spiritual illness.

Rage. Recently had to do a verbal smack down when someone referred to depression as an existential crisis. It's a fucking disease.

No, we are more than our brains and bigger than our bodies. Depression is a mental affliction, yes, but also spiritual. That isn’t to say that a depressed person is evil or weak, just that his depression is deeper and more profound than a simple matter of disproportioned brain chemicals. And before I’m accused of being someone who “doesn’t understand,” let me assure you that I have struggled with this my entire life."

(in bold)
What a bunch of bullshit. 
Edited by melissaw72

'The willingness to saddle your family with the pain and misery and anger that will now plague them for the rest of their lives' - most people who commit suicide, in my view at least, think they'll be relieving their family of any burden & misery. This sort of attitude will just further ingrain guilty thoughts in those feeling suicidal.

'It makes us feel better to say that depression is only a disease and that there is no will and choice in suicide, as if a person who kills themselves is as much a victim as someone who succumbs to leukemia.' - this just made me angry, often people are as powerless to mental illness as someone with physical illness.

This whole blog post just made me annoyed

BUT ITS OK!

All we need is some joy & hope & we can overcome our mental illnesses, huzza im cured!

Suicide is not a choice! Not a very campassionate person in any form. He has no right to even say this? He will never know unless he walks in a mentally ill mind.

For me it was what i decided in my psychotic mind of the moment.. Not because I was selfish. 6 attempts years ago,

many inpatient hospitalizations, therapies and12 ECT's later.The only choice I had left. My saving grace?

Here I am still! Messed up my memory banks. Will take this over the other option any day. Still looking and trying to find the magic. Not something I would wish upon any person.

BUT ITS OK!

All we need is some joy & hope & we can overcome our mental illnesses, huzza im cured!

I think I've heard this about every damn disease I've ever had. Only it included some reference to religion as well. Dangers of living in the South.

I really don't like Facebutt.  I may be shithouse nuts, but I stay away from there.  Maybe some of you guys should think about logging out permanently. :)

i just had an argument (on facebook) about this article with someone i really thought "got it".  i wasn't even trying to argue, just explain how it feels to hear shit like this.  it ended badly.  i'm so disappointed.  and so fucking angry that people who aren't sick get to decide why and how and what is wrong with me.  i'm frequently suicidal because i choose to be, yep.  it's fun.  i relish the idea of leaving my family in pain, yep i'm selfish like that.

What I'm going to say is probably going to be controversial, but when I made my suicide attempt, it was a choice. It was a choice that I made because the alternative seemed completely unbearable to me at the time. I can remember when I made the choice to act and can remember when I chose the day. I can remember all factors going into it and the planning that led up to it. It was very methodical. It was not a spur-of-the-moment, impulsive thing.

But it was a choice under duress - my inability to face (or even conceive of going through) the alternative. The only positive to come out of the suicide attempt is that it landed me in the hospital where I needed to be. I was so bad that I completely broke down in the hospital and can't remember the first couple of days that I was there.

BUT ITS OK!

I think I've heard this about every damn disease I've ever had. Only it included some reference to religion as well. Dangers of living in the South.

When I was a teen, my church Youth Leader told me God would save me from my depression if I just prayed.  It didn't work.

People are ignorant.

I really don't like Facebutt.  I may be shithouse nuts, but I stay away from there.  Maybe some of you guys should think about logging out permanently.  :)

Amen to that.
Edited by larali

I would not read any blog that calls depression "a spiritual illness." Obviously, the person has never suffered from MI despite his claims to the contrary.

Just some fucker looking for clicks from both idiots and the outraged. Stupid ignorance spreading fucker.

I am really enraged after hearing Rush Limbaugh say Robin Williams died because of leftist views.

I am really enraged after hearing Rush Limbaugh say Robin Williams died because of leftist views.

Limbaugh actually said that? I don't listen to Limbaugh because I value what little mind I have left.