Is zoloft really any good?

I know it's the latest fad... besides a couple other new ones... but at least compared to Celexa it's new and improved supposedly, and it seems a lot of people take it.

I've been taking it... I used to take Lexapro, then Celexa (because it was cheaper), then I felt like the celexa pooped out on me.  So, I asked my doctor to switch me to Zoloft, and he did.  And that was fine and well, except I never really noticed it being any better.  And, now that I still have depression, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try Celexa again.  Is there really any difference between zoloft and celexa?

Celexa is actually newer than Zoloft, and I wouldn't exactly call Zoloft a fad. It's been around for quite some time.

For me, there was a big difference between Zoloft and Celexa. Celexa is the only SSRI that I ever had a response to. That doesn't mean that you won't have a response to Zoloft. It's just that they are different enough that one worked for me while the other didn't. Nobody can say if Zoloft will end up working for you. We are all different when it comes to meds.

I wasn't aware that Zoloft is a "fad"-- it's off-patent for many many years now, so if anything there are newer drugs being advertised and popularized (though it's true there are a lot of people on it.)

I took Celexa in the past, like as a teenager, and it didn't do a damn thing for me except give me side effects.  I am on Zoloft now but only because it's the only antidepressant (and one of the only medications) I could ever tolerate-- I'm not sure how effective it is, just that after so many meds that made me feel worse, it was fairly benign.  I'm in the process of tapering off now.

I am probably the worst person to give my opinions on these things.  Maybe if you've been off Celexa long enough since it "pooped out," maybe it would work again for you.  Or maybe the Zoloft is having more effect than you realize.  Sorry if that was so not helpful.  The only way to know I guess is to try, of course will your pdoc's guidance and recommendation.  Good luck

I guess I didn't realize it's actually been around for some time... for sure prozac and paxil are older antidepressants.  It just seemed like a lot of people started switching to zoloft more recently for one reason or another.  Or, maybe the doctors I know are all just more comfortable using it as their go-to med.

I can't say it's terrible... I'm taking 50mg right now, because at 100mg there were too many sexual side effects.  But I seem to remember the Celexa causing the same sexual side effects.  When I compare Zoloft to Xanax for anxiety, xanax is obviously more powerful.  And when I compare Zoloft to Wellbutrin for depression, wellbutrin comes out on top, no comparison.

So, I guess I'm a little bit at a loss for how effective the zoloft even is for me... I've almost always been on an SSRI as part of my treatment, but it never occurred to me it might not even be necessary or helpful... especially if I'm only taking 50mg.

I've been more depressed lately, so I thought about asking my doc about trying Celexa again, but I'm a little worried I could turn into a crazy person switching meds if I don't really have a good reason... I'm doing well with work and school, and I don't want to upset things just because I'm curious.

Well, that's certainly long enough to know whether it is working or not. If you are  still having depression, then I think you'd want to make sure that it is treated effectively. I'd make an appointment to talk to my pdoc if I were you. He/She may have other ideas which might include trying Celexa again.