Are Some Doctors Really That Bad?

I've heard absolute horror stories about plasic surgery gone wrong. Again on the internet someone could make it up. You don't really don't know?

I've seen shows where they have people on who underwent plastic surgery and how shitty a job the plastic surgeon had done.  And then they had to have more surgery to correct the bad surgery.

If you plan on getting plastic surgery, IMO you should really do research on the DR you choose.  Some are quacks out there.

I knew a former CB member (she left about 6 years ago) who didn't do her research properly and had liposuction surgery go horribly wrong.  So yes, there are bad doctors out there.   Investigate and if possible, interview doctors before going down this route and remember that in this case, cheaper doesn't equal better.

I think medicine is pretty well like anything else: there is a vast spectrum of experience, perspective and knowledge wherein practitioners may fall. I'm seeking plastic surgery for gender dysphoria related things, and I'm approaching it with maximum caution, because I don't want to choose hastily. No amount of my desperate desire to just get it done already is worth a botched procedure.

Are some doctors really that bad? Well, doctors are human, and they make mistakes or have their own opinions about things. They're fallible, as are all people. The onus is on you to do your homework and choose carefully, same as you would for any other doc (assuming you're considering this, and not speaking hypothetically).

I had breast reduction in January. I highly recommend not only interviewing doctors thoroughly, but asking to see pictures of the procedures they've done and asking how many of the particular procedure you want s/he has done. First doctor I went to see was woefully incompetent and abusive. I got really lucky to get a fantastic plastic surgeon. Part of that luck was doing a lot of research and searching until I found the right one. I am very, very pleased with my results.

I really had only one really bad psychiatrist. I mean, he was abusive. I saw him only once, and he "accused" me of liking Woody Allen films and being neurotic like that. Don't entirely know what his point was. He was just a horrible person as well as doctor. I can overlook some things, but bad "bedside" manners completely turn me off.

My father has a GP who I believe is not as good as a nurse ... and I don't mean nurse practitioner. He can't treat anything but high blood pressure. He refers everything out. When my father asks him a question, he just looks puzzled and doesn't really answer.

But there are a lot of excellent doctors out there. I had an excellent psychiatrist once. He was way better than average. When I was a child, we had an excellent family doctor (never saw a pediatrician). That doctor could correctly diagnose many things without having to run a battery of tests.

The medical profession is like any large group of people - there are good ones and there are the occasional bad ones.

re: plastic surgeons, i'd say the worst are those who will do repeated cosmetic procedures on those who are addicted to plastic surgery. in some cases, their lives become endangered by the amount of surgery they've had yet plastic surgeons will still perform any number of surgeries on them despite it being ethically dubious. plastic surgeons who value money more than human lives are scum. i watched a special on tv once where people had had so much work done that their bodies were suffering from it - one family begged the individual not to go through with it an asked the surgeon not to perform it but he did it anyway despite it putting the woman's life in danger (like, she could have died).

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nose job which I am unhappy with.

I think people think that plastic surgery is magic.  It's not.  It's surgery.  Scarring, and the way the body reacts to surgery, can be unpredictable.

Are you thinking of having plastic surgery?

I had post-op depression.  I missed my old nose.  I wish I had not done it.  That's all I can say.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you call the person who graduated from the shittiest med school with the lowest grades in their class?

Doctor

My dad used to say this all the time to me. I have a photo of him scanning his Commencement program when he graduated medical school, to make sure his name was in there. And he did very well for himself. He was a tertiary psychiatrist, and a full professor. So you can't tell from grades in medical school.

I would be afraid to undergo plastic surgery, not that there is that much to preserve.

I agree with Malachite, go through their pictures.

This may be crazy, but you might want to ask to see pictures of face and eye lifts, even if that is not what you want to do. I was just thinking last night that Nancy Pelosi had had good work done: She looks like she is in her 60s, but fantastic for her age, she's not trying to pretend she isn't her age. I have known her (only because I went to school with her daughter) forever, and while her eyes are a little wider than they used to be, she still looks like Nancy Pelosi. I think procedures on aging people might be a good indicator of the Dr's skills.

She said talking out of her ass.

I've had crazy bad psychiatrists, but most of them have been good. I saw one who was "renowned," and he was a good pdoc, but a shitty person. I lurved my randomly assigned pdoc in Palo Alto.

I guess, but it would be illegal (fraud (aka "fraud in the inducement," bargaining with you based on something untrue)), and the Dr. would probably lose his license.

BUT he does a crap job he doesn't lose his license?

No. Doctors are only human, and they make mistakes. But if he is a good plastic surgeon (better education, more experience, professional business) the less likely he will do a "crap job".

That's where actively searching for good doctors come into play; looking at portfolios IN offices (and NOT just on the internet), looking up their credentials, as well as checking out their office and surgical room/supplies. Also these days most doctors are on online reviews - to which will be both positive and negative comments, from actual customers, so you can get a general idea. You can also get a consolation with the doctor before making any kind of major decision. 

If you are still uncomfortable with any of that, you have to balance out the positives and negatives and see if elective surgery is even worth it.