CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
hopeless

how long does memory loss last

It took me a couple of weeks to get back my memory after ECT. I also had a couple weeks of retrograde amnesia. I hope you are taking care of yourself. I had unilateral ECT, btw, not sure what kind you are having.

I'm still struggling with the memory loss. It's been a few weeks. I had memory issues the first time, also. Hopefully you won't have too many, if any, issues.

What is retrograde amnesia mean? I'm not sure what kind of ect I'm having...I'll ask the doctor...

I'm thinking of taKing some adderall to make up for the loss of focus

Retrograde amnesia is memory loss before the event (ie. ECT). I can't remember the couple of weeks before I had ECT.

It took we quite some time to get my memory back. Frankly I am thankful that I don't recall things right before the treatments.

Part of my problem was, or I believe is, I had three different series in a 6 mo period. 6 treatments, than 9 and finally my last series of 12..

After ECT, I had a job 3 weeks after. It's good to take time off. I have some fuzzy memories about the beginning of going back to work, but after a couple weeks to a month my memory was functioning fine again.

I'm amazed you can work and go through ECT at the same time. A lot of admiration of you for that. 

Do the best you can, but don't overdo it. Can you get shorter hours?

How are the treatments helping?

Treatments haven't done jack. So now I have shitty memory on top of depression. I've forgotten a lot of things from before the ECT and having trouble retaining new information.

How do I bring this up at work without getting fired. It's like fucking Memento

I couldn't agree more with hopeless! I had ECT treatments 3/week for over 4 months. Then they wanted to me to have maintence treatments. Are you f-ing kidding me?? Let me explain where this anger is coming from. The only thing that ECT did to me was cause me to have forgot chunks of my past (months at a time) over the course of my 43 yrs on this earth. But what upsets me even more than that is now my short term memory sucks. I have notebooks with me wherever I go because there's a good chance I won't remember something said 15 mins ago. I also noticed some strange side effects that they never mentioned, yet are hard to explain, but with all the meds I've been on for the last 8-20 yrs, these weird side effects I'm sure are from the ECT. I get extremely overwhelmed over tiny things like rushing to pay the cashier at the market, and being in certain places. Ex: crowds sometimes freak me out, as well as being in different places. Ex: went to see a play, sat down and became overwhelmed over nothing in particular, but I had to leave. This happens often, the need to have to leave wherever I am, right then and there. If I have to leave, it's NOW and it's not because I'm being a bitch. So all in all, I hated ECT, not that anyone would find inducing a sceizure (sp?) on you and not remebering what, where, when of the day before pleasant, but if it didn't help, then yes, that sucks, but when it makes even more issues for an already severely depressed, borderline bipolar person then I wish more people would tell the negative outcomes so a person can weigh their options on an even playing field. Anyone considering ECT, pls feel free to send me a message if you have any questions you may not feel comfortable asking the doc.

Btw- I've never heard of adderall making up for anything or helping with anything after the treatments. Did your doctor suggest this? I take Ritalin for ADHD, but if you would share, I'd love to hear what the doctors explanation for prescribing adderall is, because of memory loss or any other side effects from ECT.

I has 3 series of ECT, 6 then 9 and finally 12.

The first 2 series left me with little memory loss. Unfortunately the 3rd series really effected my memory. I lost a good chunk of memory loss from before the treatments.i regained some of it over time but not all of it. I also had some problems re being new thing for awhile. This also happened only after the 3rd one.

I would do the first two again but not the longer treatment.

I had about 75 ECT treatments in 2 years ending 5/14. Most of my memory has not returned. My pdoc said the majority of my long term memory loss would return after 4 months but it didn't. Now, more than 6 months later, I still have severe long term memory loss.

I've had 22 so far.  I started out going three times a week.  I get bitemporal.  I'm down to once every other week.  They said that would bring my memory back, but so far it's just as bad.  And it's TERRIBLE.  I can't remember my cats' names, where my daughter was born, places we have lived, how to cook or where the dishes go, how to pay the bills, long chunks of my daughters' childhoods, where all of my writing is, where all of the kids photographs are, what day to day life is supposed to be like.  The ECT has helped my depression maybe a little, but this added disability of not being able to remember anything (things just told to me or read in email) or anything longterm about my life is devastating.  It's like an entire new disability.  I literally can't be trusted to do ANYTHING with regards to the household, shop, pay bills, unload the dishwasher, put the laundry away, get my daughter ready for school, help with homework, make meals.  Everything I try, I screw up and things get lost, overlooked or done wrong.  I am praying now that we are only doing once every other week that my memory will start coming back.  I'm terrified that this is permanent. 

I had several treatments over the past five years - don't remember how many (that's not from ECT.  I've never been good at remembering stuff like that).

After a course of ECT, it took a few months to get my memory back, and it wasn't complete.  Fortunately, most of what I forgot was about the treatments themselves - that is, I forgot details of the sessions.  I don't care about that.

I did have one major memory gap.  I had ECT, but completely forgot about it.  I only found out about it when I was going through some papers and found the pre-op instructions (nothing by mouth, that sort of thing).  That was a year later.

But everyone's response is different.  Some people bounce back quickly and have little memory impairment.  Others may be thoroughly trashed for many months, forgetting lots of stuff.  I was somewhere in between.  Personally, I could live with lots of memory loss, to get the relief it provides.  It worked for me almost immediately - in a few sessions.  Not everyone gets such good results, unfortunately.