CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
chickenonaraft12

Going back to college after 3 years of working

Tuesday I start taking college courses again after taking a hiatus following my first year in college (money, mental health, lots of reasons). And I'm kind of excited, but mostly terrified at the thought.

I know it would be really dumb, but part of me really wants to just say "Screw it. I'm dropping the classes" and continue on with my uneducated life. But I know I need school in order to actually go where I want to go. 

I'm only taking 2 classes (Psychology and a Microsoft class) but already they look like they're gonna be tough. Or at least tougher than I've been used to these last few years. Though I was an honors student in high school so I feel like I can do it.

I dunno. Hopefully someone else can relate. 

I start classes on Tuesday as well. If I make it through this semester it will be the first time I've completed a semester since spring 2010. I delayed going to college and then had to leave part way through my first year, so I'm starting over. I'm also both excited and terrified. I've been having trouble lately with SI and I think it's an attempt at self-sabotage; I am so afraid of having to leave school again that part of me wants to quit before I even start.

I am so afraid of having to leave school again that part of me wants to quit before I even start.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

My last semester was Spring of 2011-- I'd only finished one year. 

If you worked for 3 years then I am confident that you can handle it taking 2 classes. Academia is much more forgiving for us MI folks than the business world. Have you checked in with your campus disability office? That could help you get some special allowances in the future should you need it.

If you worked for 3 years then I am confident that you can handle it taking 2 classes. Academia is much more forgiving for us MI folks than the business world. Have you checked in with your campus disability office? That could help you get some special allowances in the future should you need it.

I wasn't sure if I would "qualify" for disability allowances.

Talk to them. Many MI folks take advantage of it.

I just finished school after three years - although after my first year, I had to take a break to recover from a brain tumor being removed. Two classes should be just fine. I would also recommend talking to disability. I thought the same thing - how would they be able to help? I never needed it, but the disability people encourage it - "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." As long as you have documentation, by all means, you should qualify. You'll do fine, I'm sure!

I went back to school for my master's 15 years after I finished my undergrad degree.  It took me a little while to adjust to studenthood again, and there were many times I wanted to quit, but somehow I struggled through the two years and graduated in May.  I used the breaking tasks into manageable pieces technique and it was quite effective for me.  If I couldn't read 40 pages all at once, I'd break it down to 10 pages at a time with little breaks in between.  jt's suggestion re: disability services is a good one . . . I was so glad to have the extra support and accommodation when I needed it this past year.

I wish you well with your studies.

I finished my master's in 2002 and am currently in the depths of my PhD, which I hope at this stage to finish in mid 2016 (it's kind of a moving target).  I also work fulltime at the same university.  This means that I do get a fair amount of understanding from my managers and colleagues, but it is hard at times.  Hard, but doable because I believe in the importance of my thesis topic.  

I agree with what jt said about how having worked for a few years will stand you in good stead.  Do check into your disability services too.  I chose not to involve myself with them for various personal reasons, but I would be very surprised if yours didn't have accommodations in place for students with psychiatric issues. Good luck!

I took two breaks. One was a year long just because I fucked up some part of the financial aid process or some shit, I forget. I was a stay at home mom. Well, still kinda am.

The second one was just a semester because I had a little breakdown from stress during the first semester (school and life related) and then I've been okay in school since then. Well, haven't had to go to the hospital again. Or DIDN'T if I did need to.

It's tough being MI and in school. Disability services are definitely something to look into. I have not yet because I'm being stupid and stubborn but yeah.

I am on my fifth year working on a two year degree. I try not to take more than I can handle after that breakdown shit honestly. So I'm taking it kind of slow. If I know classes will be challenging, I take only THAT class or only two classes to ease the load of stress and all that. I hate how long it's taking, but it's for the best. For me anyway. Some people prefer to rip the Band-Aid off. Guess I don't heh.

Anyway, do what you need to do, you'll be fine and if you're NOT, definitely look into disability.

Good luck!

I finished my Bachelor's in 2011. I recommend making a plan with your school's Disability Services office. For me, just knowing that I had extra precautions in place and would not flunk courses-or flunk out-if my brain suddenly lit up like an xmas tree or leaped off the deep end made a big difference in my stress levels.

Edited by Gearhead

Congratulations on going back to school. I would recommend registering with the disability department. They can give you accommodations and you can also withdraw from classes if you have an emergency without it affecting your grades. I had to do that several times.

My main advice is to take things slowly (which it looks like you're doing.) There's no shame in taking a long time to go through college. Taking your time can help you kep your grades up and help you balance school and taking care of yourself. Being stressed and frazzled isn' healthy, especially for many of us with MI (since it can be a trigger for a lot of people.)

Depending on the classes and your strengths/weaknesses, two classes might be a good amount. I know you're nervous about taking multiple classes, but after working, two classes should be doable. And if it's not, you can always drop one. Again, there's no shame in that (I've done it plenty of times...)

It's excellent that you're going back to school! I wish you the best of luck!

I started out this semester with 4 classes and nearly died from stress. Just dropping one class was such a relief. It will take me 3 years now instead of 2 since I am an official part time student, but it is worth it. Good luck with everything