CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
serafina

What do you do when you are feeling better?

Mostly curious, what do you do when the depression lifts?

I've wasted the entire summer. Depression hit in early May and sucked everything out of me by June. It was so bad that I don't remember parts of July. Now I am coming out of it. Besides for picking up all the pieces like the unpaid bills, your job, school, that kind of stuff, what do you do when you start to feel better?

Tdoc suggested doing something just for me besides for the trying to get my life back together stuff, but I don't know what. Frankly, I still feel fragile and since I am BP2 I don't want to do anything that might send me into hypomania. There is also a lot of guilt and other feelings involved because of stuff that happened.

So what do you do, self-care or otherwise, when you come out of a depression episode?

Take care of the mountainous backlog of shit I was too depressed to take care of, and try to get back in physical shape.

I for one get out of bed. I stay a little more social, but really other than that there's nothing else I do different. Oh yeah and showering more frequently.

That's a good question.  As for myself, I always start taking on big projects and volunteering and stuff, and then I overdo it and crash again.

Take it easy for a good while and don't quit your meds.  :)

Well, I'd suggest not doing the things I do actually do when I'm depressed. Unless it's really bad, that means browsing the interweb, online forums, and READING. Then I'd do the things I'd ordinarily like to do but couldn't because I was too depressed: go to concerts, cook, ride my bike, take a class, create my own tea blends, even clean, organize, and exercise. I'd avoid TV unless you really enjoy it. Better to go out to a movie (good luck finding one worth going to, tho). Try sex and/or dating, too. Explore the area. Go to a museum. Anyway, that's some stuff.

Take care of the mountainous backlog of shit I was too depressed to take care of, and try to get back in physical shape.

That'll just make you depressed again. LOL. I literally had 4 years of mail I hadn't opened by the end of '12. Just piled up all over the place. Wanna know what I did with it? I put it in a boxes and sealed 'em up. "Old mail" yeah, the next time that sees the light of day will be after I'm dead. LOL. Sometimes you just have to let shit go. Of course there's some stuff you can,t (like those nasty phone calls from the clinic asking why I haven't paid my bill in three months. Um, hello, it's because it's in the mail I never open. When I was loading all that into boxes, one piece was on top of a stack. A tax refund check for $956. Couldn't even get my butt to the bank to deposit that. Sad. Anyway, I just resigned myself to,letting stuff go. And once stuff has gone a certain length of time without attending to, I figure it couldn't have been all that important anyway.

Edited by Flash

I get more into my hobbies and read more. Also, I take better care of hygiene. That and do what I need to do is about all I have time for.

Does everything seem to be ten times as hard and take ten times as long if you have an MI?

Edited by Flash

Does everything seem to be ten times as hard and take ten times as long if you have an MI?

Well, for me, it seems that way.

Do things you enjoy, things that make you happy. For me that includes biking, going for walks, camping, kayaking, going to the bookstore, trying new restaurants. If you're not sure what makes you happy try a few things you find intetesting. But take it easy and give yourself time to enjoy feeling better.

I also try to get back into a healthy routine. Start eating healthier, get more active, go out more. I've found that it's very easy for me to slip back into the depression if I keep up my "depressed routine" (not leaving the couch all day, showering as little as possible, eating whatever can be delivered) once the depression lifts.

I try to be as productive as possible. I do shit that makes me feel good. Whatever that is. I put on nicer sweatpants hehe. Nah, I dress well because that makes me happy. When I'm depressed, it's a crazy nest of hair that may be teeming with vermin. Yoga pants, usually with ketchup stains, shit with holes in it. NO issue going out in public like that. Actually, I don't mind that part. It's actually nice to put no effort into that and not give a flying fuck.

Go outside. Fucking look at pretty things.

I enjoy it. That's what I do. I don't know how long it will last. I do whatever makes me and my family the happiest.

I guess I live. Because that cycle starts again and again but when I'm not bad, I want to be fantastic.

For me it does.

So what do you do, self-care or otherwise, when you come out of a depression episode?

Whatever I do, I take things slow.  Because if I just dive into everything at once I'll crash again.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Oh, I've left the couch and started showering again.  I know I'm not 100%, but I'm trying to pay the bills and go back to work and salvage my job.  I suspect that they suspect that I have "issues".  I keep telling myself that I have to go to work, but I called in sick more than I was there.  I don't have to tell you that just picking up the phone to call was more than I could handle some days.  At the end even opening the cover on the iPad was too much work to send a two word e-mail: sick again. 

Tdoc thinks I should do something just for me, because I guess I keep going on and on about ruining and wasting the summer.  But I don't know what.  Tdoc says go away for a week.  But I can't take time off of work now.  And besides it costs money.  If I don't work I don't get paid.  And I didn't work for most of the summer.

I am also afraid of jumping into things too quickly.  I know I'm not 100% yet.  I am also afraid of doing too much and ending up with hypomania.  Hypomania always, always ends with a crash.  This was one of the worst episodes of depression I've had.  I don't want to end up depressed again anytime soon.  I'm just grateful that it only lasted 4 months.

But there are some good suggestions that are free.  Or mostly free.  And that shouldn't be trying to do too much too soon.  I have some things to think about.  So thanks. :)

Tdoc thinks I should do something just for me, because I guess I keep going on and on about ruining and wasting the summer.  But I don't know what.  Tdoc says go away for a week.  But I can't take time off of work now.  And besides it costs money.  If I don't work I don't get paid.  And I didn't work for most of the summer.

I like all the suggestions.  Maybe do a day-trip or overnight version of one or two things and see how the cost and mood work out?  It can be pretty cheap to visit a gallery or museum and bring a picnic lunch.  (or bike trail, canoe rental etc).  Depression cost me most of my summer, too.  I just did an overnight camp at a near-by state park with my brother, who canceled his Labor day plans with his wife to come and help me (guilt).  I feel so bad about that, but our time together was good.  I really needed to get out of my depression habitat.  It's still summer-ish outdoors.  We spent under $40 on the gasoline, park permits and food altogether.  Absolutely worth while.  I didn't hate myself for at least some of the time.  I hope you can get away somehow for a while.

This x 10000 when I am depressed.

BF's mom gave me a gift certificate to a spa last night!!!  :wub:  It expires soon and she won't be able to use it. i could never afford it right now otherwise it would have been high up on my list of things to do for myself.     The thing is, she didn't even know that I was supposed to find something to do for myself that was just for me.  She just didn't want it to go to waste.  Now to figure out what i want to do.  I haven't exactly been taking care of myself these last few months so I think anything will be an improvement.  Maybe she thought so too.  :P

I like all the suggestions.  Maybe do a day-trip or overnight version of one or two things and see how the cost and mood work out?  It can be pretty cheap to visit a gallery or museum and bring a picnic lunch.  (or bike trail, canoe rental etc).  Depression cost me most of my summer, too.  I just did an overnight camp at a near-by state park with my brother, who canceled his Labor day plans with his wife to come and help me (guilt).  I feel so bad about that, but our time together was good.  I really needed to get out of my depression habitat.  It's still summer-ish outdoors.  We spent under $40 on the gasoline, park permits and food altogether.  Absolutely worth while.  I didn't hate myself for at least some of the time.  I hope you can get away somehow for a while. Those short cruises might be something worth considering . They usually vary from same day to 3 days/2 nights. A few times I brought picnic (including wine—shhh) and rented a paddle boat at golden gate park in San Francisco. Did not cost hardly anything and was a lot of fun. Even if your depression doesn't lift permanently, it may lift temporarily, and we need that or else everything just turns turns into more flotsam jetsam circling the swirling abyss of depression hell. The hard part is actually doing stuff, at least for me.

I reconnect with friends/become more active socially. I've taken on a role at our church that will require me to show up no matter how I feel. I think it will be good. When depression lifts I take it easy and try not to rush back into a lot of responsibilities but some can't be helped, even when depressed.

Enjoy that spa day! :)

I try to focus on my self esteem as much as I can, when I'm in a good mood (at least, having the energy to work on myself). It's when I'm the most likely to listen to myself and relax and actually think about what I'm feeling and thinking. Another thing is to do little things (showering/dishes) and work up to bigger things (I can't even think of a big thing. A party? Going to the movies?). But mostly a balance of self care and chores works for me :)