CrazyBoards.org

Recently diagnosed, officially. Suspected for a long time. I've been actively seeking help for almost 2 years.

Finally got on adderal, and things are looking up.

When I'm working, the screen isn't dancing anymore.

I cleaned out a closet last night and not only did I manage to not trash the room the closet is in, the closet is actually clean. That's a new experience for me.

So. 54 years old. In a relationship. Was married and abused for 26 years. 4 kids, 3 of them grown, one dead (leukemia). 2 1/2 grandchildren.

I'm going to be a math teacher when I grow up. Or maybe I'm just going to be a math teacher.

I said "yes" this morning to a challenging program to make that happen and quit my job. I'm sitting here shaking, and only a little of that is the meds. I'm fucking terrified. But it was the right move and it's going to be great.

About the name:

I was on an ADD board under my real name. My pdoc(is that right? I have one who I talk to, one who writes prescriptions, and one that just deals with the non-brain hardware issues. I'm talking about the second.) suggested that if I'm not careful about who knows what's in my [location of meds deleted] I might find unwanted friends.

So I decided to replace my last name. I googled "random word", went to images, and poked around. "Ragnarok" was the first word that met my criteria.

I think I'll use the same name for all MI discussion purposes.

The name does not mean I'm into anything apocalyptic, think I'm badass, or into Norse religion. Yeah, I picked Viking Armageddon as a name. It doesn't mean anything.

Hi, Mike!  Good choice on the name.  I was tempted to tell you to not use your real name, but you anticipated my comment. :)

Good going on pursuing your dream.  We need good math teachers.  I don't know what country you're in, but I hope it's the US so you can teach some of our struggling kids.

When I was 53 I wanted to go back to school and get my MLS, and I didn't do it.  I'm a little sorry now that I didn't, so best of luck to you and I bet it will be worth it.  If you are in the US, look around for grant programs for students returning to college as adults---there might be loans or grants available.

Oh, and welcome to Crazyboards.

olga

Thanks. I'm in the US.

The financial part of what I'm doing is daunting. The interview yesterday was for a position that's called volunteer, but it pays a little. The volunteer position gives me a good shot at a residency that will pay most of my tuition in exchange for agreeing to teach in high need areas for a few years.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. The untreated version of me just plain couldn't do it.

The going-back-to-school gig is definitely GREAT (and KUDOS!), but this...

I cleaned out a closet last night and not only did I manage to not trash the room the closet is in, the closet is actually clean. That's a new experience for me.

is by far the GREATEST ADHD accomplishment of all time!  :lol:

Congrats on the new (official) diagnosis and treatment. It definitely helps answer some of the "how come?" and "what now?" questions. It also helps you clean out the closet without all of the mess just ending up in a different room, without you getting frustrated and ending up throwing everything back in the closet again!

Welcome  :)

Thanks. I'm in the US.

The financial part of what I'm doing is daunting. The interview yesterday was for a position that's called volunteer, but it pays a little. The volunteer position gives me a good shot at a residency that will pay most of my tuition in exchange for agreeing to teach in high need areas for a few years.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me. The untreated version of me just plain couldn't do it.

Oh, good.  That sounds like a good deal.

I live in NY state, and we have a "university without walls" called Empire State College.  (It's part of our State University system)  Anyway, they had a program a few years ago with free or reduced tuition for people who already had a BS degree to get their MS in education---if they would agree to teach for a couple of years in under-served cities.  (Buffalo, Rochester, NYC, etc)  I thought it was a great idea for people who were changing careers and have an honest desire to teach.

I hope you get into the program you interviewed for, and keep us posted.

olga