CrazyBoards.org

I worry constantly about this i take 60mg duloxotine and 25mg qutiapine, im worried about my kidneys and liver, i also take paracetamol a few times a week for aches and pains.am also worried about an increased cancer risk as it cant be natural to put chemicals into your body. Been on meds 9 years.

Edited by cady

It's true that these medications can and frequently do have side effects that impact one's physical health.  That's why a good pdoc will run regular blood tests, some of which are specific to particular meds like lithium. Not everyone, however, experiences long lasting/damaging side effects.  Although I'm currently tapering off it for other reasons, I've been on lithium for 7 or 8 years and have perfect kidney function.  I've also been taking quetiapine (Seroquel) on and off for years at much higher doses than yours, which is tiny, and have had no organ damage as a result of that.  On the other hand, I had to stop taking Trileptal because of a liver side effect, which was totally random and really rare.

I could go on for ages, but we're all different and how your body reacts to something might be different to how mine does.  Basically:  yes, there can be physical side effects because we're ingesting chemicals, but we're doing that because we are ill.  If you have an open and honest relationship with your pdoc, you should be able to discuss with him/her your worries about long term damage. You could even ask to be sent for a full panel of blood tests to help alleviate your anxiety. The one thing you should absolutely NOT do is stop taking the medication on your own.

I do need to say this, because it's not something that's often spoken about: the most potentially damaging med you are taking is paracetamol, because regular and sustained use of that carries the risk of messing with your liver.  People assume it's a harmless OTC med and are lulled into a false sense of security about it because it's so easily available.  So your need to take that regularly is something I would mention to your doctor rather than either of your psych meds.  That's not to say you should suffer if you have pain, just rather that you should check that the amount you're taking is safe.

eta:  sorry, I went on for a bit long there.  Here's the TL;DR version:

1. Yes, these meds can have physical side effects and sometimes damage, but that's not inevitable

2. Discuss all your concerns with your pdoc and ask for blood tests to calm your anxiety

3. Watch out for paracetamol/tylenol/acetaminophen because over use of that does have documented effects on one's liver.

Edited by MiaB

It's a valid concern and you need to get good answers from your docs.

I also do my own research. But since I lack years of studying medicine (I did go to a very good massage school so I have a tiny amount of medical literacy) my research is mostly so I can ask good questions.

But yeah, meds do come with physical consequences. Different meds, different consequences. You have to consider the cost/benefit.

I'm not familiar with the particular med combo, but I agree that you should discuss your concerns with your doctor.  

Additionally, you could look into doing things like drinking detox tea or milk thistle tea if you are worried about liver damage.  However I would talk to your doc first to make sure doing that won't make your meds less effective.

I have spoken about my concerns over paracetamol and was told not to worry about it by my docter.

How much do you take/day?  Taking over a certain amount (I forget the amount; it should be on the medicine bottle) is more likely to affect your liver, but may not.  Everyone is different, and some livers can tolerate more than others. But still, I would not take more than recommended.

I dont take it every day, maybe 3 times a week and 2500mg each time, i have told my docter about this and he told me not to worry as some people take more everyday. 2500mg is 5 tablets.

Edited by cady

It wasn't clear from your first post that you had already discussed paracetamol with your doctor and were going for blood tests.  I'm glad to hear that you are doing both and hope they will help to alleviate your fears.

I'm sure that some of them can have not so good effects over a long period of time. Our GP told my husband that his meds were bad for the heart, although I don't know if this is really true. I think he may have told me that Lamictal can deplete your body of certain vitamins/minerals. I am deficient in Vitamin D, even though I drink milk sometimes and spend a lot of time outside. So I have to start taking that.

Personally, I tend to think that not being on meds is worse for me than taking them. I can't drive around being manic, depressed or suicidal.

Do you read the patient inserts (PI) when you start new meds? If you didn't get it with your script, you can easily find it online. It can give you an idea of what to look out for, although there is never a complete list of side effects. Sometimes they find out new side effects before they update a PI. But most serious side effects will be listed.

Meds can definitely cause damage, but so can SI, Suicide, and out of control Manias. I wouldn't be able to maintain my life, my marriage, my dogs, etc., if I weren't on meds. And my meds aren't even ideal at the moment, but I still feel better.

Also, sometimes you might think a med is causing a side effect when you are actually sick. This happened to me, I thought lithium was causing kidney stones, and was upset because I thought I would have to stop the lithium. Both my urologist and my pdoc told me it was from an illness, and I could continue to take the lithium. I produce kidney stones pretty much monthly (I wish this were hyperbole), so I was really worried.

And I don't think this is the case for you, but as a migraineuse extraordinaire, if you are taking the tylenol for headaches, be careful of rebound headaches. Three times a week is probably okay, but since I am a giant aching head, I limit it (and all my pain meds, when I use them) to twice a week. Lithium limits my nsaid intake anyway. But just be careful.

Thanks, for all your perspectives.I take Paracetamol because i get very achy legs.

And Crt, i'm really sorry to hear about the kidney stones, i had them once and was hospitalized, it was agony i can't imagine having to endure all that every month.

FWIW, and this is only based on anectodal things ... that Advil or Aleve is "better" for you than the tylenol.  I don't know this for a fact, and i'm not saying you should change what you are taking.  Just saying that I have *heard* from people that they changed over, and are able to take less pills/day when they take it.

I dont take it every day, maybe 3 times a week and 2500mg each time, i have told my docter about this and he told me not to worry as some people take more everyday. 2500mg is 5 tablets.

Hi Cady. The recommended dose of paracetemol is  500 mg-1 g  (1-2 tablets) every 4-6 hours up to a maximum of 4 g daily. Never take more than the dose recommended on the label. I don't want to scare you but taking too much paracetamol can cause damage to your liver. I honestly cannot believe that a Dr would say that it's ok to take that amount....the mind boggles. Anyway your doctor is a medical professional and i'm not so who knows.

A link to information on paracetemol

http://portal.bpfk.gov.my/aeimages/File/Product_Info/Paracetamol_Tablet.pdf

Also, paracetemol is the same as acetaminophen 

actually, my doc allows 2000 at a time, but only for a very short period of time when my arthritis flares.  an ER nurse told me the same once when i put my back out.  i found it hard to believe too.  my organs are fine as far as i know.  that much acetaminophen makes my stomach hurt though, that's for sure.

It will always be a matter of weighing costs and benefits. But Mental illness alone has a big impact on life expectancy - so there's that to consider.

Wish this place had a 'favorite' button because that would get it!! :)

I take my meds and wish I didn't have to but it is what it is. I don't worry so much about the long-term affects because who knows what tomorrow will bring anyways...But I do know that right now, being on meds makes me feel physically weak and unable to do the things I used to do--which sucks...but at least I'm not harming myself or planning to, so that's a good thing.

FWIW, and this is only based on anectodal things ... that Advil or Aleve is "better" for you than the tylenol.  I don't know this for a fact, and i'm not saying you should change what you are taking.  Just saying that I have *heard* from people that they changed over, and are able to take less pills/day when they take it.

I'm not directly responding to you, Melissa, just sort of to everyone in general. I don't want you to feel like I'm picking on you or something. :P

Whether or not a drug is appropriate for someone really depends on their health status, and what can safely work for them. All drugs have benefits and drawbacks depending on a person's individual situation. That's why it's so important to inform your primary health care provider about the over-the-counter (OTC) medications that you take. Many people assume that if something is OTC, it must be safer, so they don't think to mention it to their doctor unless the doctor asks them. I am not a medical professional, so of course listen to your health care provider first and foremost. However, here is what I do know -

Acetaminophen (paracetamol, Tylenol) is metabolized by the liver. Too much acetaminophen can damage the liver by triggering the production of a toxic compound.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve) are both non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They can reduce the ability of the blood to clot, and they can impair kidney function.

Like I said, I am not a medical professional. Always talk to your health care provider about any OTCs, supplements, and herbals that you take. 

well jesus, what ever you do DON'T keep on taking paracetamol.

take the prozac, zoloft or whatever, it may kinda mess your brain up but paracetamol is extremely dangerous to the liver if you over use it.

even using it more than a week and you can fuck up your liver. even drinking with paracetamol fucks up your liver, even 1000mg+ of paracetamol can kill your liver which may be fatal.