CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
coffins

Possible BPD need help

hey everyone....wasn't sure where to post this, as i haven't been diagnosed with bpd yet, but

about 5 or so years ago i was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder. over the last year i have noticed strange symptoms that werent being addressed by the medication i take (anti-psychotics and anti-depressants). over the last year i have struggled greatly with these syptoms and feelings but didnt know that together they are in fact a disorder. recently i was hung up on the overwhelming feeling of having no sense of self. i was like: 'what the fuck is that?" anyways the next bit is kinda fishy, because i understand the problems with googling symptoms and self diagnosis. but i googled "no snese of self" it led me to another forum where someone posted about this problem. they too were seeking help. a later post in the forum suggested BPD. i looked it up and it was like i was looking into a mirror.

the main issue im having is, i dont know how to bring up this idea with my psychiatrist and my family. they dont see it because they think my only issue is schizoaffective. i know im not dleusional, i am seriously suffering and its a steady decline. i dont know what to do. im very good at being the person everyone wants me to be, which is why they might be skeptical about me having the disorder.

Well, your only option pretty much is to tell your pdoc or tdoc. I don't personally have a PD, so I hope I am correct in moving this thread to that forum.

I can think of another class of disorders that involves "loss of sense of self." I also think of how I've seen it listed as a side effect. 

Maybe, instead of saying to your doc "I'm worried that I have BPD" you could mention "I feel as though I've lost my sense of self" and take it from there? Chances are that, since they have more education than I do in this area that they can think of even more options than I can. And I'm sure that they can think of more than the first few pages of a Google search can come up with. After all, Google is really good at finding what is most popular, but it isn't always great at finding what is most correct.

I wonder what you're doing right now to help you find yourself, if anything?

I agree with rosie.

Not having a sense of self is a symptom of BPD, but it could easily be other things too.

Definitely bring up the concern with your docs, but I agree with rosie that you should mention the symptom rather than saying outright you think you may have BPD.

As far as meds go though, there's really nothing out there that deals with BPD beyond what you already take. So even if your dx does change, your meds might not.

I don't know if you're in therapy, but it is helpful for things like feeling no sense of self.

I hope you do figure out with your doc what is going on, BPD or otherwise, so you can work on a way to help it.

I think disturbed sense of self is common in schizo-spectrum, too, so you may not have any other disorders.

As always, though, symptoms go to a doctor.