CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
The Emperor

Anyone have a light box?

I think I may remember one of these topics from a while ago, but I'm not sure it was on the BP forum, or whatever. I know it's been discussed a bunch here. SO, I'm sorry if this is going to be quite redundant or needs to be deleted.

I have problems with depression that mostly occur in the fall and winter. Sometimes near the end of spring, shit happens. It doesn't seem to be a concrete cycle, but it's not really something I should ignore, I guess.

BPII is what I have. My hypomanias have been good until they sucked ass. I don't know which is worse!

Anyway, thinking about the light box because of this.

I fucking hate living in a place where the seasons end up ridiculously cold and inconsiderate of my disorder! THE WEATHER SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND ME! haha.

Anyone with BP have one? Does it help? Is it true that it could start hypo/mania? Anyone know or have personal experience?

Also, how much cash do I shell out if this is a good idea and what the hell do you do with the thing? What's that like? Does it emit heat as well or...? 

I would google them but I don't know what I'm looking for! 

Any help on this? Experiences etc? 

Thanks! 

(I'm aware that medicating it would likely be the best route but I'm super fucking wary of that right now. Also my new doc is a fucking flake, go figure)

Hey Emperor,

I tried a light box several years without any luck.  I sat in front of it first thing in the morning for 30 minutes.  I didn't experience hypomania as a result of using it.  I think they cost around $300.  I've talked with a few other people about it, and they didn't have any luck with it either.

i use one.  i don't know if it helps, because i've never felt "great!" after having used it or anything... but i figure since it's never made me hypomanic, it probably isn't hurting either.  so starting in October i'll use it for 30 min every morning while i'm just sitting here staring at the screen anyway.  i paid about $75 for mine.

I have this light that I use at work: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/verilux-happylight-compact-energy-lamp/131367?mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_lighting_&adpos=1o1&creative=39230296429&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CL2Gvdy248ACFWwQ7AodnBAA5Q  I think it helps me somewhat but not tremendously.  I'm also getting the seasonal blahs and agree that the weather should revolve around us!  I would like to live someplace like Colorado or New Mexico where there is more sunlight.  Maybe someday.

We might be moving next year. Meaning I no longer will live in Arizona where it's sunny during winter lol. If we do then I might look into this.

I know one blue light one carries a warning: not for use by bipolar people. Makes me wanna buy it.

Way back when I lived in New England, a shrink told me he thought I had SAD (I'm from California originally), but I'm not so sure. My episodes are more likely to start in the spring or summer with (hypo)mania and move into a depressive state in the fall and winter, but it's not always like that. I never did try the light therapy, because I moved back to California a few months later. If this depression doesn't end by the middle of fall, I may try it.

I live rather far North and have one which I use in winter only. It does help when you stop seeing any daylight. It did manage to put me on the mania side rather rapidly once by leaving it on all day. The deal with most of these is that one is supposed to use them for a mere 1h a day or so. I once left it on for a whole day and was bouncing off walls, it was mad. 

So, I think it works, but as a bipolar person, you need to be careful with the "dosage". I have the "Brightspark" from this brand, they are quite pricey, but you can order them and return within 30 days if you don't like it. I also have one of the alarm clocks, which is great for getting up.

http://www.lumie.com/collections/light-therapy-sad

I would give it a try.

Thank you! 

I think I'll get one (probably a cheap one haha) and see if it helps. I think it's worth a shot.

Hopefully would remember not to leave it on all day :)  Knowing myself...eeeh that might happen here and there.

Hopefully would remember not to leave it on all day :)  Knowing myself...eeeh that might happen here and there.

:) It's not *that* good, but I see, I've done that too. :)

Hope it works for you.

I dont have one because of the warning it has for bipolar.  I did look on Amazon and found one for about $50.  It depends on the brand I think as to how much it costs.

I used one for 6 months recently. It did nothing. I got it from Amazon, it was not too expensive. 

I dont have one because of the warning it has for bipolar.  I did look on Amazon and found one for about $50.  It depends on the brand I think as to how much it costs.

they do come with bipolar warnings - but i have one because my pdoc suggested i try it, and i'm bipolar.  i think it's one of those things like SSRIs - some of us can handle them, and some of us can't (i can't do SSRIs, but i can do a light box!).

I used them before I went into remission.

Since I have come out of remission, they are activating for me. So my best friend scored a really nice light, much nicer than the one I had used earlier. Pfft.