CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
HowlingWolf

Sleeping Problems. pdoc or gp?

Both my SO and I are having sleeping problems, although both are very different and I'm almost certain they have different causes. Who would we go to for this? Would a general practitioner be able to help or should we go to a pdoc? Does it depend on the type of sleep problems perhaps?

My sleeping problem is pretty straight forward. Until the past couple of months, I never had any problems sleeping other than sometimes having trouble falling asleep, which was normally because of my racing thoughts. Now, I'm waking up several times  at night and having even more trouble falling asleep. It takes me an hour to fall asleep. I may wake up 1-4 times through the night, and almost every time I'm waking up from a dream or nightmare and can remember it vividly, indicating I woke up during REM sleep. Nothing woke me up either. I also often feel a lot of pressure on my head from being in a death coma like sleep to wide awake in seconds, that lasts for a minute. The last pdoc I saw was considering diagnosing me with PTSD because of a lot of red flags that i had, but decided I didn't quite meet the criteria. Perhaps this is part of me developing it, or just stress in general.

My SO's sleeping problems are quite complicated. My best guess is this is due to him working 3rd shift. However, he has been doing that for several months, and his sleeping problems are newish and getting worse. He typically sleeps about 7-8 hours everyday, around the same time of day. When he firsts wakes up he says he felt like he hasn't slept at all, and he looks like it too, but I know he was because he was snoring for the past 8 hours straight, non-stop. He often falls back asleep instantly, but I'm guessing that's normal? I typically am pretty awake right off the bat so I'm not sure on that one. Also when he is waking up he can have a conversation with me, on topic, making eye contact, and sometimes start talking on a tangent about work. Later he will tell me he has no memory of the conversation even though he looked and acted wide awake. Sometimes he even gets up and goes into the next room and ten minutes later he tells me he doesn't remember walking into the room. Sleep walking?? Often, he falls asleep randomly. Yesterday, we were talking and the next thing I knew he was sitting up with his head completely drooped down, eyes closed, and starting to snore. I wake him up and he tells me he never fell asleep and that he isn't tired at all, nor does he act tired afterward. Pretty much everytime he is idol, he falls asleep. Even if he sleeps for 12 hours or only 4. He claims it to be from relaxation and that he isn't tired. Just randomly falls asleep when he is idol. Who should he see for this? It doesn't seem like he is function right. I read one of the pinned topics that suggested provigil for people who work 3rd shift. Is this over the counter or prescription? Who could prescribe it? Have any of you experienced something similiar? He also does not have any currenlty known MI. He has been diagnosed with insomnia before, but never in the entire time I have known him and lived with him, ever seen any undisturbed sleep, difficulty falling asleep, or difficulty staying asleep. He also says he used to be able to go a couple days with little to no sleep and function fine, then get 8 hours and be completely refreshed. This isn't so anymore.

I would ask both that way you get a second opinion. It sounds like you might benefit from a sleep aid. Your SO to me sounds like he has sleep apnea. Snoring and being tired during the day is consistent with that.

When I was first experiencing fatigue, I didn't have a pdco.  I spoke with my gp, and she referred me to a sleep neurologist who referred me to a sleep neurologist who referred me for a sleep study.  I have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP.

Recently, I was having more trouble wiht sleep and thoughted I might need a med adjustment.  I spoke with my pdoc who suggested I speak with my sleep neurologist to make sure there weren't any problems with my CPAP.  My sleep neurologist referred me for another sleep study, and I am waiting for the results of that right now. 

I think it is quite common for people to not remember the first few minutes after waking up because it takes a while to become fully conscious. Like how people can wake up for short periods and go back to sleep and not remember being awake afterwards. So, er, having conversations that seem lucid just after waking up and not remembering them is probably not that unusual in itself.

I'm not sure who exactly either of you should see, although talking to your gdocs about being referred for a sleep study is probably a good start?

If you're going to see your pdoc again soon then I'd definitely ask him/her as well. 

I would see a neurologist (both of you).  Your primary DR can probably refer you to one.

I cannot say anything about your SO b/c we are a first-person site.   However, I think anyone having sleep issues can benefit from a sleep study.  The results will show whether you're getting REM sleep, how many (if any) apneas occur, and other relevant data.

I agree that a sleep study would likely be a useful tool to figure out what's going on with your nightmares and insomnia.

I'm the opposite of you, I struggle with hypersomnia (sleeping up to 16 hours a day, unable to wake up without help). I spoke with both my GP and my pdoc about it. I see my GP more often though, so he helped the most. I was never referred for a sleep study because my hypersomnia seems to be caused by medications, even though it continued long after the suspect medication was removed (Abilify). We tried lots of different approaches to address it, mainly changing medications/dosages/times of dosages.

The process has been extremely frustrating and disheartening. But, I am very happy to say that we seem to have found a possible solution. *knock on wood* We added 20 mg Ritalin SR in the morning, and I switched to taking my 200 mg Lamictal before bed. In the last 7 days, I've only had 1 day where I slept for 9 hours. All the other days were 5-7 hours. I'd like to sleep at least 7-8 hours, so I need to work on my sleep hygiene, but hey, I'm not complaining!! My pdoc wants me to go back to 150 mg Lamictal, but I'm reluctant to make any changes right now. We'll see. 

Sorry for just blabbing about myself, but I hope it helps somewhat. 

When I had run out of sleeping meds to try my pdoc had me see a sleep doc. He did DX me as having sleep apnea but the Capp didn't help.

We tried Trazadone and Rozerem and I finally got my life back.

After the first script my pdoc took over prescribing it for me. My current pdoc also is the one who prescribes it,

I think you would benefit from a sleep study and an appointment with a pdoc, get two opinion's.

Start with the basics : thyroid, basic lab tests, vitamin deficiencies at a GP. Then if nothing shows up go for the sleep study. If that fails then I would go to the psychiatrist. In fact, your psychiatrist can order a sleep study if he wants to.

Good luck~!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 3xEmonkey
      When my psychiatrist quit, I had no idea. I was assigned another one, who will very likely leave me. It's one of those programs where the doctors are all residents. I walked in, and the lady at the desk told me the doctor left. Wasn't a big deal. I see the psychiatrist for meds. As long as the meds work, all she needs to do is write prescriptions. I do like that she's nice.
      So now my counselor quit and I only cry when I think about it. Five years. I had her before either psychiatrist. She closed the doors. No more patients. Doing her own thing now. That's awesome. She referred me to another whom she knows personally and met while working together. I'm sure because she's sure I'll be fine.
      But I was already perfectly fine and dandy, and didn't really see the need for her to leave and for me to see a new lady. What am I supposed to do? The appointment is scheduled. This woman is, as long as we get along, my new counselor. It's a whole new person I am supposed to trust off the bat, and confide in. I'm supposed to assume she knows what she's doing. We're starting on our third date here, and I'm the only one in the relationship freaking out. 
      If you've done this before, what's the easiest way to start over? I know she's a different person, and it will be like starting from scratch for me. Old counselor sent her notes and talked about me. I'm going in blind and she is not, but it's not about her.... so, okay? 
    • By mrjones
      Anybody get to a point that they don't want to do anything but sleep.  Been like this about a month and it's getting worse, I'd sleep all day if a could. If I am awake I just huddle in a ball  watching reruns of Roseanne while dozing off and on.  Also, just to note there hasn't been any med changes to cause this.  It's times like these mania starts looking real good.  Anyway, has this happen to anyone else?  Is this severe depression or something?  Crashing..........
    • By huntforbravery
      I feel like doctors don't take me seriously anymore. They ignore my long-term, not as easily explained symptoms. One is my blurry vision. I mention it to a doctor/therapist/psychiatrist and they just sort of nod and then never mention it again. Despite the fact that it's the reason I don't get a driver's license, which makes it hard to find work in the field I studied in. And another problem is that I had symptoms that mimicked DID for a few years. They vanished, over a year ago, and no one except my therapist will even address it. And my therapist has a bunch of conflicting theories, one of which is REALLY insulting. And it seems to be the one she's grabbing onto right now, even though her earlier theories made a lot more sense. My therapist had been hoping the psychiatrist would help explain the DID symptoms, but he didn't even address them. It came up, part way through the diagnostic session, but he then dropped it and never brought it up again.
      I just want some answers... and it almost feels like if there isn't an easy one, they just pretend the problem doesn't exist. I know it's hard to diagnose something after the fact, but they could at least be more helpful. Like, I know my therapist is trying. I know she is. But I feel like she isn't really listening to me. Like, I'll explain why a theory doesn't make sense, and she just kind of nods and then repeats the same theory next session. She could at least refute my points  This is like. One of the first times I've ever disagreed with her, too. Most of the time, I take her word as the truth. But this argument just makes no sense.
      I wasn't going to say exactly what she said, but it's really upsetting and maybe writing it here will help. So she basically said that I was inducing the symptoms as a way to fit in with my friends, who also have mental illnesses. Which makes no sense, because some symptoms appeared before I met them. Not to mention, some of THEIR symptoms didn't become apparent to me until AFTER the DID symptoms started. They then felt comfortable enough to open up to me. Also, I was terrified and ashamed of a lot of my symptoms, worrying that I was a burden. Doesn't that completely conflict with wanting to fit in?
      I don't know. It just really upsets me. I feel like people in the medical field have their own ideas, and will discount all evidence to be correct. I used to have a doctor who was OBSESSED with making me gain weight, to the point of messing me up pretty bad. Another who thought I had a disorder that caused me to mishear words, but I then learned that she had written a lot of papers on that disorder and was probably just wanting me to have it so she could study me. I don't know. I just. I'm so sick of doctors not trusting me. They all think I'm a liar, or a faker, or something. I just want someone to believe me.
      Sorry this rant is so emotional.
    • By mistermartini
      I am unsure if I am posting in the right place, so I apologize if I am. I just got word two days ago that my psychiatrist is leaving the clinic that I go to, and that next week is his last week. When I asked the office staff where he was going, no one knew. This is really hard for me to deal with as I became emotionally attached to him. He only worked at the clinic that I go to for a little over a year. This is a huge shock to me. I was told that I would be put on a waiting list for the new psychiatrist who will be replacing him. I have trust issues and I am wary of seeing someone new; and this is really upsetting to me because I really trusted my pdoc. I am wondering, that if he is staying local if I am allowed to still see him? and how can I found out where he is going if his office staff won't tell me? will my insurance company know where he's going, or are there any other resources that could help me find out where he is going? A lot of things were left unanswered for me and I would really like some closure. I am having a very hard time dealing with him leaving, any advice is much appreciated. 
    • By lisa2712
      Hi All,

Today I have slept too much, and I've been doing this pretty much everyday for the past few weeks. Since being taken off of Seroquel XR 100 mg a few months ago I've kind of been a mess, like my mind has been much more chaotic and full of unpleasant thoughts. Seroquel XR 100mg helped, but it caused weight gain, and I need to lose weight (lots of weight). Next time I visit my psychiatrist I'm going to ask him about putting me on something like Seroquel that doesn't cause weight gain and diabetes. I'm not psychotic or bipolar BTW, I have severe anxiety, but yet the Seroquel helped my mind and thoughts.

So I sleep for about 3 hours every afternoon. Many times it's b/c my mind's too anxious, or I feel overwhelmed or depressed, or sometimes it's b/c I'm bored, but today it's because I felt tired. I have been letting the dogs I walk lick me all over my face, nose, and mouth, and I wonder if I got something from them, like a parasite, b/c I feel weaker than before, but that's also a good thing. I also didn't wash my hands last time I handled them, b/c I didn't see a sink, and all they had was hand sanitizer. When I feel weaker my mind has less energy to worry, over-think, or get depressed. My mind has been too overactive since going off Seroquel, and it's hard.