CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin for ADHD - experiences?

Did not help me at all. It made my anxiety worse. But you don't have an anxiety disorder so I would try not to worry. It has been suggested that I have ADHD. But I never have been stable enough to be formally tested. So go figure.

Good luck though! I hope the Wellbutrin helps you! A lot of people really like that med.

Well I've never been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder only because my panic attacks went away magically 1.5 years ago and I didn't start treatment until 1 year ago. But I do have pretty bad anxiety, constant anxiety attacks. Prozac and ativan have helped though. Shit, I hope it doesn't make me anxious. 

I've tried dexedrine and ritalin and they both helped greatly with calm focus and keeping on task but they're prone to cause insomnia if you take them too late plus when they wear off, mood takes quite a dip. I found wellbutrin to have a very similar effect with focus but not quite as "relaxing" as stimulants. 150mg seems unlikely to have much effect. I had to go to 450mg to get a sustained effect. I also find I get a very similar effect from Modafinil/Alertec but same issues with potential insomnia.

I hope the Welly works for you. Ritalin and then Dexedrine are the meds I've taken, they *help* my anxiety, unless I'm hypomanic. But my BP is pretty stable and treated, and I did a year's worth of CBT a few years ago which helps with my anxiety a lot. Stims can give me anxiety symptoms minus the ruminating/obsessive thoughts, especially when the stim is wearing off, ironically - or if I consumed caffeine on Concerta. But I can handle those because I know it's just the stim.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm.. Wellbutrin is a stimulant. It's the closest thing to amphetamines and add meds without being one but has major stimulant properties. I would imagine this would exacerbate your OCD and panic. Ssri and seratonin usually quell OCD

Also, ppl with add often get the calm from stims. My obsessive thoughts and social anxiety is obliterated with adderall.

It's been working well so far. I can concentrate on tasks a little bit longer and it's helping my motivation some. I can't wait till it takes full effect. 

It hasn't made my anxiety or OCD worse though, they're fairly normal and that's without the ativan.