CrazyBoards.org

Tired of lack of empathy/difficulty connecting

I hate it! Hate it, hate it!

I cannot express genuine empathy or sympathy towards people. I can't connect with people or relate to them. 

It's like I'm a robot. I simply just don't give a shit. Occasionally, I feel some sort of emotion but a lot of the times it's a blank emotion. 

I love the mental health field. But I stay in research just because we're taught to remain neutral and I do that, like really well. I mean I've considered being a tdoc or pdoc and that was my original plan but what kind of doc would I be if I don't give a shit/can't connect or empathize with my patients!?

I don't know what to do. 

It's hard to empathize when you feel like shit yourself, because you are focused on how shitty you feel. Especially if it isn't necessary to your job, don't worry about it. I bet as you start feeling better, your empathy will increase.

And I think you are more empathetic than you think you are. But you've sounded like you've been in a sort of crisis for the last couple of days. When things are bad, you have to focus on getting better, not worry if you are sympathetic to others.

You've sounded very wound up. And you have started posting more, which might be a warning sign for *anyone* on CBs. I can't say for sure.

But you sound like you feel miserable, and as if your misery might have a psychiatric foundation. What an odd way of putting that. But hopefully, you get my point.