CrazyBoards.org

I'm about to blow...

I can't do this. I'm a monster to my students when I even get a tiny bit stressed. I want to cry right now, and I cant...I have kids in the room. I absolutely need to cut...and clearly I can't...I am trapped and I cant calm down but have to act like nothing is wrong... HOW?????

Between classes, could you ask another teacher run a homework assignment for one of your classes, so you have some time to recoup?

When I taught, I would tell the class I wasn't feeling well, and that I apologized in advance if I was snappy. And then if I did snap, I apologized right that minute, because the kid was humiliated in front of the class, I should be willing to feel humiliated for doing it.

But it sounds like you are teaching younger kids? What about a movie, or do they still use film strips?

I made it...somehow...but I feel like Ive been hit by a Mac truck. :( I was the only teacher, so no leaving. I got the kids settled and quiet, and then just organized things on my desk for a bit...helped some. I still very, very much need to cut...and find a way to not rip off others' heads...so I'm headed home to my messy, unorganized house...ugh...which won't help...I don't know how I did this today...

I can't do this. I'm a monster to my students when I even get a tiny bit stressed. I want to cry right now, and I cant...I have kids in the room. I absolutely need to cut...and clearly I can't...I am trapped and I cant calm down but have to act like nothing is wrong... HOW?????

I am also a teacher and I feel this way frequently. Here's what helps me (besides my meds):

1. a fidget --kids with special needs often have small objects to squeeze and fiddle with. Mine is a beaded bracelet but I also fiddle with pens (clicking, tapping, and rolling). It self soothes.

2. I drink really strong herbal teas. The fragrance and warmth alone helps me. I'm having a rough day today at home and am on cup #3. Lavender is awesome.

3. Shapewear/Corset = homemade strait jacket. Not joking. http://lucycorsetry.com/2013/01/17/corsets-as-deep-pressure-therapy-relaxation-for-autism-anxiety-adhd-somatosensory-disorders/ No one has any idea what I wear under my teacher garb.

4. 10/2 teaching strategy. Gives you a mini-break every 10 minutes as students process what they just learned. During my 2 minutes, I usually recite a mantra/affirmation as I pace around the room --it looks to an observer like I am monitoring students work. The timer rings and I am calmer.

I am also a teacher and I feel this way frequently. Here's what helps me (besides my meds):

1. a fidget --kids with special needs often have small objects to squeeze and fiddle with. Mine is a beaded bracelet but I also fiddle with pens (clicking, tapping, and rolling). It self soothes.

2. I drink really strong herbal teas. The fragrance and warmth alone helps me. I'm having a rough day today at home and am on cup #3. Lavender is awesome.

3. Shapewear/Corset = homemade strait jacket. Not joking. http://lucycorsetry.com/2013/01/17/corsets-as-deep-pressure-therapy-relaxation-for-autism-anxiety-adhd-somatosensory-disorders/ No one has any idea what I wear under my teacher garb.

4. 10/2 teaching strategy. Gives you a mini-break every 10 minutes as students process what they just learned. During my 2 minutes, I usually recite a mantra/affirmation as I pace around the room --it looks to an observer like I am monitoring students work. The timer rings and I am calmer.

These are awesome! Thank you!!! I love the fidget idea...why I never thought of that...my therapist often gives me something to play with when sessions get heated. Good idea! And I love the 10/2 idea...I will try that!

Thank you!