CrazyBoards.org

unsure about anti anxiety meds

I went to my pdoc a few days ago for a med check and I mentioned to him that my anxiety has been a lot worse lately, especially social anxiety. I have also started to get a little obsessive compulsive. He asked me if I wanted to try an anti anxiety but I wasn't sure because I have heard that they can make you sleepy. Anyway, he said if I in decided to try it to call him so he could call it in for me, said we would try some kind of beta blocker or something?

I know that I can't ask for medical advice and I won't but I just want to know others experiences with them and if it was worth it. Especially anyone who's had a similar med combination for BPll, effexor-Depakote-beta blocker. ....

Hi, not on the same meds, but same diagnosis. I have taken both xanax and klonopin. I see you listed substance abuse as an issue. I found I was more abusive with the xanax. I often cut my Klonopin in half (pdoc suggestion). Then I am not sleepy.

I am fresh from a major depressive episode (inpatient) and found the klonopin useful. I currently am trying to taper down, and hope to get to night time use only. Not a doc, only my opinion.

I take xanax as needed for immediate panic attacks, klonopin on a regular basis for a maintenance level for anxiety, and used to take propranolol (3-4x/day), which helped with anxiety, migraines, and tremors.

At first (at least for me), as your body gets used to the med/s, you will probably be tired.  But as you get used to them (they are in your system more) you most likely won't be tired (or as tired).

Thank you both for the replies.

DDragonfly23, that was another thing I was worried about, I have read about the place that xanax isn't particularly good with people that are prone to abusing substances. For that reason xanax is one that I would definitely prefer not to he on.

Melissa, I found that with Depakote too. The first week I was soooooo drowsy but then all of a sudden I was fine again, lol.

Melissa, I found that with Depakote too. The first week I was soooooo drowsy but then all of a sudden I was fine again, lol.

OMG I had this problem too, but it was worse than when I went on the benzos.  Those first few days sucked.  I'm not on it now but I remember that very clearly.

I don't have BP II, but when my antidepressants fail to control my anxiety, my go-to meds are beta blockers. They work great and can be taken PRN, and they do not have the potential for addiction. However, the one that I sometimes take (atenolol) can make me a little sleepy, but it is quite manageable and sure beats the horrendous anxiety. I have had luck with benzos in the past, and they are also GREAT for anxiety, but currently I prefer the beta blockers because they control my heart pounding the best.