CrazyBoards.org

Anybody else here on schizophrenic spectrum live with your parents

How does your family function with your dx? It is very hard. They get tired of all the same bs that is associated with it. They think it ruins the peace of the household. However, they love me.

Do you all get along? Sometimes. When I am in a mood we do not. When I am semi sane we function fine as a family and get along and actually have good times.

Do your parents give you privacy? Yes. They never invade my privacy

Do your parents want you out of the house? They would prefer me be out on my own but since I am a student they are allowing me to stay with them. Sometimes though when I am in an episode they threaten to kick me out. Its just a threat though.

Do your parents charge you rent? No, I am supposed to be paying my car insurance and cell phone bill, but I slip under the radar somehow, lol.

How do you like living with your parents? I love it. I cant live alone. And I fear the future when I will have too. Last time I lived alone I didn't shower for a month, the apartment was a wreck, and I was very mentally ill. I was sent IP and my mom came and cleaned up the apartment top to bottom. I love spending the holidays here. I just love the company. Even though we sometimes don't get along.

Yes, I do.

How does your family function with your dx? Not very well. My parents think I'm "crazy" when I go into a state, and we wind up arguing a lot.

Do you all get along? Usually. Sometimes we have fights, and usually it's over my delusions.

Do your parents give you privacy? My mom read my journal, so...

Do your parents want you out of the house? I'm a minor, so not yet.

Do your parents charge you rent? Nope.

How do you like living with your parents? It's fine. I can't wait to get out of the house, though.

I currently don't live with my parents, but if you don't mind I can answer these questions, remembering when I lived with them.

How does your family function with your dx?  My mom understood.  My father finally "got it," to an extent, but when I didn't act "normal" it was not good. 

Do (did) you all get along?  No, we didn't.

Do (did) your parents give you privacy?  No, my journal was read at one point ... they went in my room and found it.

Do (did) your parents want you out of the house?  Not sure.  I lived in a small apartment (behind their house, but in their yard), but I came up to the house to do laundry.  Was hard to interact with them, so I avoided them as much as possible.  I think they were glad when I moved out though.

Do (did) your parents charge you rent?  Yes.  Half of my SSDI at the time, which included heat, hot water, and part of the car insurance.

How do (did) you like living with your parents?  Hated it.  I appreciated the help, but hated living there.  Was an extremely toxic environment though, and I got emergency housing because it was so bad.

How does your family function with your dx?

Well. They are a good support system.

Do you all get along?

For the most part yes.

Do your parents give you privacy?

For the most part, but sometimes I feel like I should have more.

Do your parents want you out of the house?

They want me at some point to be able to leave and live on my own but they don't want me out of the house.

Do your parents charge you rent?

No, since I cannot work they know I cannot afford rent.

How do you like living with your parents?

It's good in that I have a support system.  My parents genuinely care about me but since I'm in my mid twenties I do crave more independence at times.

If so,

How does your family function with your dx? They are supportive but we do come in conflict

Do you all get along? For the most part.

Do your parents give you privacy? Yes but I don't always get it because they are around.

Do your parents want you out of the house?

They would but not immediately.

Do your parents charge you rent? No.

How do you like living with your parents? No. I would like my own place.

How does your family function with your dx?

They manage. Sometimes they don't take it very well, but we function.

Do you all get along?

For the most part. I try really hard but when I'm in an episode or something it can be a challenge

Do your [grand]parents give you privacy?

So so. My grandmother watches my every mood but she leaves me alone when I'm on the computer.

Do your [grand]parents want you out of the house?

I don't think so.

Do your parents charge you rent?

Thankfully not.

How do you like living with your parents?

I do like it. I can't function on my own right now. Someday when I have the money and stability I would like to move on.

I live with rents. I don't pay rent at the moment. My rents are very accomodating (I think they are now realizing SZ effs you up). I want to live on my own and probably will again but I don't want to live alone. I'm afraid I'd die of boredom and that I would do nothing to fix it.

Edited by dnautics

If so,

How does your family function with your dx? They won't accept I have it so pretty much they think I'm normal.

Do you all get along? Yes although it bugs me they don't understand.

Do your parents give you privacy? I feel they do.

Do your parents want you out of the house? We're an extended family they would rather me stay than move.

Do your parents charge you rent? No but I try to contribute.

How do you like living with your parents? I wouldn't have it any other way.