CrazyBoards.org

What do you do to avoid being hospitalized?

I'm currently hearing lots of voices and having paranoid thoughts. I don't feel suicidal but feel very hopeless about my life. As measures to help myself I contacted my pdoc and he said go to 20mg zyprexa but that didn't help. I'll contact him again on Monday. I was also enrolled in IOP. I really want to avoid being hospitalized. What do you do to avoid being hospitalized?

Can't help because I was hospitalized when I was trying to get into IOP. So I failed at avoiding hospitalization. 

I hope you can find a new med that works for you. 

I'd insist with your pdoc as to why he ignores you when you ask about saphris. IMO, if you want to try it he should at least consider it. 

Maybe say how some CB members have found it helpful, and that you'd like to try it? Maybe he's hesitant thinking it won't work for you. 

I do everything in my power to not go batshit.

I also go to PHP 3x/week. They monitor me there.

And my therapist.

I try to do other things like listening to music and pacing.

And when the pdoc/counselor asks me to go to the hospital I say "HELL FUCKING NO"

I don't go voluntarily, even though sometimes it's best.

But I really try to do other things...coloring...talking...writing in a journal.

If that all fails...then I've gone batshit.

Sorry for the shitty advice I hope you make it through.

I take my meds as prescribed, talk things out with family or friends, practice distractions and self soothing for when I feel suicidal.

But really, when it comes down to it, if I know I need to go IP, then I take myself down to the ER and get assessed. Sometimes I end up with a new prescription instead of an admission, or just someone to talk to for a bit. Hospital isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it can be very helpful, if you need to be kept safe.

I'm honest - if I need help I will ask for it. But sometimes its hard. I used to lie. I know what the criteria for hospitalization is. I've only met it once when I had a major psychotic episode in 2006.

I get my injections. I take my meds. I see my care team often. I, even though its hard, try to tell them everything. I get reality checks. I'll call crisis lines.

I get sleep. I don't drink or do drugs. 

I lie my way out if everything. I'm never completely honest about what I go through daily. It doesn't matter how suicidal or how psychotic I get they will have to drag my dead body into the hospital.

In summary, I lie and that's how I avoid hospitalization.

^^ THIS.  I'm honest with my pdoc, but if I get any sort of hint that he might admit me I won't lie, I just won't say everything I'm thinking.  I will do whatever it takes to not be hospitalized.

ja

i'm with cheese

and melissa

there's just

Shit I Don't Say

'cos i know

what will happen

and

hospitalization

equals

zombification

and

"oh! you're so MUCH BETTER NOW"

as i 

drool

and

crawl

my way

back home

so

my advice:

develop

every freakin'

coping technique

you can

as long as it's legal

and

then

do 

them

on 

repeat

Edited by yarnandcats

Lie like a lizard!!!!

Oh chickenlips. You just made me laugh out loud!!!! I love that. I say stuff like that all the time. I may have to borrow your phrase. Cool!!! :D

Wonderful, Wonderful Cheese!!! MWAH lol xx (wonder if that's an Aussie saying?)

Edited by Chickenlips

• 2 months later...

I tried to get into a hospital but no one would take me. I was talking to someone about mind control and my family being humanoid insect imposters and they kept asking me if I wanted a therapist. Of course it was very hard for me to communicate anything at all, and when I did get in, no one brought up hospitalization.

I really don't want to be hospitalized, though. I've kept my mouth shut about my mental health for most of 20 years rather than risk being hospitalized. Mostly it was depression and PTSD that I was hiding, though.

I lie my way out if everything. I'm never completely honest about what I go through daily. It doesn't matter how suicidal or how psychotic I get they will have to drag my dead body into the hospital.

In summary, I lie and that's how I avoid hospitalization.

^^ THIS.  I'm honest with my pdoc, but if I get any sort of hint that he might admit me I won't lie, I just won't say everything I'm thinking.  I will do whatever it takes to not be hospitalized.

Since posting, shit happened with pdoc, and I told him flat out that I would lie to him before I would ever be put in the hospital again.  It just isn't going to happen (being hospitalized again).  I also made a promise to never kill myself too, and I have honored that.  But there is no way in hell I will go back in the psych hospital ever again.

I'm currently hearing lots of voices and having paranoid thoughts. I don't feel suicidal but feel very hopeless about my life. As measures to help myself I contacted my pdoc and he said go to 20mg zyprexa but that didn't help. I'll contact him again on Monday. I was also enrolled in IOP. I really want to avoid being hospitalized. What do you do to avoid being hospitalized?

I don't try to kill myself. That's how I always end up in the hospital. It's hard not to when you're in the midst of a bad episode, of course. I really lucked out last year. Thought for sure I'd end up in the loony bin again. But somehow all the stars aligned and I was spared that. I really fear the hospital,,because there is no one to bail me out anymore. Don't wanna get stuck in there. Blech.