CrazyBoards.org

Ritalin for studying

koali777

I was on Adderall for a good long while, and my pdoc just wanted to try something different, so she put me on Ritalin. My question is, does it help you study as well as Adderall? I just got into calculus and physics and I really can't afford to suddenly have my brain elsewhere and not focusing on the material. I am hoping she didn't screw me over.

Like all meds, it's different for everyone. I haven't taken Adderall but I was on methylphenidate IR and then Concerta for a total of a year or so (now am on Dexedrine.) It was my first prescribed psychostimulant, worked great for me. Switching right over to my Dex also wasn't rough, not like getting back on a stim if I had to be off it for a bit - first couple weeks are... interesting as I adjust.

Buuut med switching, any psych med, while you're in the midst of other life stuff you're trying to pay attention to, it could perhaps make things a bit bumpy for a short while. Fortunately with stims it's typically a *short* while, if at all. It might take fiddling to get the right dose and dosing schedule for you, which takes time, but keep close contact with the pdoc.

Does she know that you just started calculus and physics courses, and that you are concerned about switching your psychostimulant around in the midst of a time when your focus is so very necessary? Perhaps she'd be willing to wait for some other time? Or even be willing to keep in close/frequent contact just to help smooth over any bumps or whatever just in case.

Good point, I didn't even try to tell her about the classes. I was afraid she'd think I was begging for Adderall to stay, and think I was a drug seeker. But if Ritalin does help some people then maybe it'll help me, if my doc won't listen to reason. But it's not like Adderall has been making me sick or something. So I really don't know why she wants to change.

Edited by koali777

IMHO, med changes while. Life shit is busy or stressful in some way isn't always the best idea. Asking to remain *until the calculus and physics* classes are done (and expressing your. Willingness to try this out after that) might go over better. But you know your doc better than I.

I wanted to go from Concerta to Dexedrine, to see if Dex could help me just as much but minus some SEs from the Concerta. But I got the idea right before some shit in my life got craaaaazy, so we waited six months before switching me over to trial Dex.

Aaand if the doc still thinks you'll be okay doing the switch now, ask if you can keep the doc updated on how it's going re: your math-heavy classes.

I can do those without stims but I'm a math nerd kinda. But it'd be like getting me to switch my stim at the start of a semester or new job or similar.