CrazyBoards.org

Stimulant to help depression?

nonuser

I think I need a stimulant and I'm wondering which one to take.

My main problem is depression.  It's the kind that makes you sit on the couch all day and cry.  I need to get up and get stuff done.  I need to go running.  I need something that WAKES MY BRAIN UP.

If I take a stimulant before I exercise, that might help.  I used to take something called "Oxy-Elite Pro" but it's been recalled and no longer being sold.

In college I took Yellowjackets, but I don't know if those would work for me now.

Should I get my doc to prescribe me something like Adderall?

I'm also trying to get my depression medication sorted out.  I know I'll have more energy once I get on the right meds.

My main problem is depression.  It's the kind that makes you sit on the couch all day and cry.  I need to get up and get stuff done.  I need to go running.  I need something that WAKES MY BRAIN UP.

If I take a stimulant before I exercise, that might help.  I used to take something called "Oxy-Elite Pro" but it's been recalled and no longer being sold.

In college I took Yellowjackets, but I don't know if those would work for me now.

I'm also trying to get my depression medication sorted out.  I know I'll have more energy once I get on the right meds.

The usual caveats apply about none of us being able to tell you what  to take, talk to your doctor, etc. That being said, I have treatment resistant depression, and have been taking a relatively low dose of Adderall XR generic for three of four weeks, on top of Brintellix and buspirone. A couple of weeks of 10mg, and a week of 20mg. It has seemed to give me a little more energy and focus, though not mind-blowingly so yet, and has definitely been a lot smoother and crash-free than my limited experience with Ritalin years ago. It took however, months of advancing this idea to my pdoc, because I do not have an ADHD diagnosis.

I take Ritalin, but in the past, I've taken Dexadrine (D-amphetamine). Honestly, neither of these ever did much for my depression. If I'm in a good mood and I take a stimulant, I feel great. If I'm in a bad mood and I take a stimulant, I just feel bad and wired to boot. They don't flip my mood. Also, they give me more energy, but not the desire to do anything with it. They do, however, give me focus, but sometimes I focus on the wrong things (like spending too much time on the internet).

You have to be very careful how you approach it with your doctor. Unless you have a lot of trust between your doctor and you, you really can't just ask your doctor for stimulants without looking bad. Instead you should describe your symptoms to your doctor, and let him/her do what s/he thinks is best. I never once asked for a stimulant.

The usual caveats apply about none of us being able to tell you what  to take, talk to your doctor, etc. That being said, I have treatment resistant depression, and have been taking a relatively low dose of Adderall XR generic for three of four weeks, on top of Brintellix and buspirone. A couple of weeks of 10mg, and a week of 20mg. It has seemed to give me a little more energy and focus, though not mind-blowingly so yet, and has definitely been a lot smoother and crash-free than my limited experience with Ritalin years ago. It took however, months of advancing this idea to my pdoc, because I do not have an ADHD diagnosis. Ritalin is helping my depression, but it's not resolving it. Maybe I need a higher dose. I don't notice much difference between 5mg and 10mg, however, so I don't know if I'll get any extra mileage outta that. Am thinking about breaking the 10s in half and taking it every 2-1/2 hours instead of every 5 hours. That might help with the yo-you effect.

I couldn't stand needing methylphhenidate IR 'cause of how often I had to take it. XR types do help with the rollercoaster, though I happened to need an AM and a PM (early afternoon) dose (of Concerta) anyway. Same with Dexedrine spansules, so an XR again.