CrazyBoards.org

Xanax XR

I got my drug formulary book a couple of days ago and I found out that my insurance plan covers the generic version of the extended release Xanax.  (Xanax XR)

Has anybody here taken Xanax XR (or it's generic)?  How did it work out for you?

Did you switch from the IR to the XR?  If so, how was the transition?

Thanks in advance,

~ Andy

I've been temporarily switched from diazepam to Xanax XR a couple of times this year.  I struggle with it because my other experience with benzos has been with ones that kick in within 20-30 mins at the most.  I've never really been able to figure out what the peak dosage time for Xanax XR is.  I imagine the intention is to build up a long lasting steady amount of it in your bloodstream. It probably does has a longer half life than other benzos, but overall for me it was pretty useless at dealing with the panic and anxiety I feel at the end of every working day. YMMV.

I took Xanax XR for a good bit of time, but I didn't take it religiously every day. I was on 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg in the evening. I found it to pack -much- less of a punch at initial dosage. I can feel Xanax IR immediately, but the XR was nice if I didn't want to feel nearly sedated from the start just to have the med poop out a bit later. So, I think it would definitely be something to try.